Breakdown (Kurt Russell, J.T Walsh, Australia Blu-ray)

IGC

breakdown01.JPG

breakdown02.JPG

UPC: 9337369024530

Classic road movie with a great cast. The director Mostow has never done anything to even come close to matching this. J.T. Walsh is wonderful in this a sadly missed actor.

• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Peter Tonguette (2020)
  • NEW “IT’S GONNA COST YOU: MAKING BREAKDOWN” – A new in-depth interview with writer/director Jonathan Mostow (2020)
  • NEW “THE TRAP IS SET: INSIDE THE STUNTS” – A new interview with stunt coordinator M. James Arnett (2020)
  • NEW “WRONG PLACE, WRONG TIME: REMEMBERING BASIL POLEDOURIS” – A new interview with musician Eric Colvin about his time working with composer Basil Poledouris (2020)
  • NEW “Life is Jeep: Breakdown and the Psychology of the Road” A Visual Essay by Ian Mantgani (2020)
  • NEW Interview with film Critic Tim Robey (2020)

Not seen this yet but have ordered it www.sanity.com.au/products/2613421/Breakdown Some of those Imprint titles are overpriced/overblown but this looks worthy of the price tag.

Distributor: https://viavision.com.au/shop/breakdown-1997

disc review

Careful of spoilers:

wolfie138

man, i'm all over this. absolute underrated gem. ta for the heads-up

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If anyone wants to try before buying, it's currently on either Prime or Netflix.

Watched it again not so long ago. Great movie.

Marv

Excellent release, but i found the new 4K remaster underwhelming given the film is only from 1997.

IGC

Not seen the POHM disc yet but my DVD looks pants so I have a lot of hope.

Paramount are very lazy so looking at the extras and their track recod I'm not expecting it to get an enhanced release anywhere else.

Amazon UK FBA are selling it £29.97 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PJM9TDV/ my copy from Sanity.com.au should work out about £20inc.

Last edited:

Marv

I bought my direct from Imprint along with At Close Range and Year of The Dragon.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Disc video bit rate: MPEG-4 AVC @ 32.15 Mbps
iTunes video bit rate: 4K Dolby Vision HEVC @25.25 Mbps

IGC

More streaming posts in a ******* physical media thread -I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! :D

Seriously, it's very tedious and totally off topic AND pointless. Do people post about physical media in the streaming section? Unlikely.

They're SO different but the contamination is getting worse by the day and it just spoils the fun of physical media fans strapping themselves to a dying horse and enjoying the ride to the end.

I stream all the time and I well know the benefits but I don't **** on my own doorstep.

With MGM now part of Amazon you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes* to see which way the wind is blowing but keep streaming over at Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services

There's a dollar, move down a couple of streets.

*available to stream now in a 30 part boxset

Ewan154

Thinking about ordering this from amazon. it says its fulilled by amazon, does that mean it will come from Amazon?

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
@IGC I do take your point but considering this was a free upgrade to 4K on Apple TV, and the previous HD version looked absolutely awful, I think it’s valid for @lgans316 to post bitrate info like that. Also, considering one costs a fraction of the other (I think it cost me £2.50 but it’s £5.99 now), isn’t it worth pointing that out for people who don’t have £30 to spend but like the film that it’s in 4K on Apple TV just as it’s worth pointing out that for those who can afford it the disc carries loads of nice extra features but the Apple one has zero extras?

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I can bet the 4K stream which has similar bit rate of the HD disc will look better simply due to added resolution and DV grading. For $4.99 it's an absolute bargain. I might try the 4K disc if Paramount decides to release this.

I would buy the 4K disc of Steven Spielberg's Duel instantly if Universal releases it :)

Marv

Paramount is now releasing this themselves later on in the year in the US. Probably will have little in the way of extras.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Hopefully a 4K will then follow (as is often the case).

Marv

Now coming to the US via Paramount presents in September in a very good release. Was'nt expecting this from Paramount.

Special Features:
Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow and Kurt Russell
Filmmaker Focus: Director Jonathan Mostow on Breakdown
Victory Is Hers - Kathleen Quinlan on Breakdown
A Brilliant Partnership - Martha De Laurentiis on Breakdown
Alternate Opening
Alternate Opening With Commentary By Director Jonathan Mostow
Isolated Score
Theatrical Trailers

IGC

breakdown.jpg

Wow, great if you can listen to commentaries that makes it the definitve release.

I wonder why Kurt does so few interviews about all his work? Listening to his on set stuff with Death Proof just makes me want more. Maybe he believes if he's not getting new payment he's not interested -hopefully not.

I've only heard one commentary (Superman II by Donner) but this is the sort of thing I may shove on MP3 and listen to separately.

Amazon product

wolfie138

i don't know about his other films but his commentaries w/ John Carpenter are always worth the price.

Marv

I think Kurts just busy or his agent shoots request down. He gave a new interview for Arrows release of Big Trouble which was really good and candid but he did'nt do anything new for Screams release of The Thing.

I've heard in the past from special features producers that the agents often shoot requests down and then they will see the actor at a Comic Con event in the future and ask them about it and the actor knew nothing about it and would loved to have been apart of it.

I remember when Vestron did The Unholy they put in a request to interview Ben Cross his agent said he wasn't interested in talking about his older films and it just so happened that he was attending a convention a week later. The special feature producer asked him directly if he would give an interview and he said he'd love too and ended up giving them a 30 minute interview that same day in his hotel room.

I think its easier for a studio like Paramount to get an interview than the indie labels.

Marv

My copy arrived today. The new commentary is really great as thankfully Kurt and Johnathan were recorded together and in a studio. I had worry's it might be over skype.

Marv

The transfer looks abit better than the Australian release and the new extras are decent. I'am glad to own both editions.

IGC

This is getting a release in France 3701432007311 January 2022.

Amazon product
I see a few other Paramount titles too which'll take some of the wind out of the sails on Imprint.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco update improves N10, N100 and N1 EX digital libraries
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom