1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breakdown insurance

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by r22flyer, Feb 4, 2003.

1. r22flyer

r22flyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm....

Domestic and General have just rejected my application for breakdown insurance - apparently they are reconsidering whether to offer plasma insurance or not....

Has anyone found any other company to insure against breakdown...

2. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope,

I asked for a quote, just to cover accidental damage and even that they refused to quote for.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got very good quote for Home Insurance from Quoteline Direct www.quotelinedirect.co.uk

My Policy is with Zurich Insurance. Electrical Items up to £3000 are covered without being specified on my policy. My policy also covers accidental damage cover. I checked with them and they said that Plasma Screens were covered up to this amount without being specified on this policy.

Electrical items over £3000 can be specified for a small additional charge per item I believe. The policy also includes "All Risks " cover of £1500 for items lost or damaged whilst out of the home (Digiital camera watches, Jewellery etc....)

The cost for my Building and Contents cover was about £250 at renewal in December lasy year (£90,000 rebuilding cost for property £35,000 contents).

I checked the market and for this level of cover with an award winning insurer this is a good price.

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Direct Line contents and buildings cover. I wrote to them about the plasma and there was no limit for accidental damage to AV equipment and it did not have to be specified as a single item.

I got insurance backed breakdown cover for my plasma when I bought it. It is underwritten by Pinnacle from memory, but I don't know if they sell it stand-alone

5. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if it's not covered as standard, most insurance companies will cover any specific item for an additional charge. I now have my new Panny specified as a separate 'Valuable Item' on my Halifax contents insurance, inc cover for accidental damage. It added £25 per annum to my policy, well worth it IMHO.

6. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines covered for accidental damage on my insurance policy with Prudential.....

I have £40000 contents cover and apparently as long as the value of the individual item doesnt exceed 10% of this I'm covered. This is only valid for items in the house ie not rings watches that u can wear out.......

I am sure there are loop holes in this for them to get outof, as all insurance companies have these....

I guess the ultimate test is if anyone out there has made a claim and had it settled in full:smoke:

7. r22flyer

r22flyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me chaps... you've missed my point....

The insurance you are all talking about is contents cover ie for fire,theft, and if you drop the thing while moving it.... this type of insurance does not cover it if it simply goes faulty!

So other than claiming you have dropped it what will you do if an electronic fault occurs outside your warranty... ?

BTW almost all insurance companies don't bat an eyelid if you ask them "is my plasma covered on the contents?" - mine insurance company (Lloyds TSB) said "yep no problem and no need to specify it"....

8. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err - I did (a bit).

9. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "So other than claiming you have dropped it what will you do if an electronic fault occurs outside your warranty... ?"

Tell them your wife dropped it

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My screen comes with 2 years on site warranty. I got another two years from RS return to base for £250 which is fully refundable if not used.

4 years sounds good enough to me. If it lasts for 5 I am well happy. I will be bored of it by then and want a 60" etc...

I know many people on this board bought from JL. Their sets come with a five year warranty anyway.

Personally I thing Spending £2500 + on anything electrical with only 1 - 2 years warranty is madness.

My point is you buy a Plasma screen you make sure it has a proper warranty from who you bought it from ( A proper warranty for something like being at least 3 years ?????)

They aint as realiable as people say, seen loads of people posting on this board and elsewhere who have had their screens swapped out. I am on my third already !

11. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is probably why Domestic & General won't touch them (see first post).

12. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it's generally the case that problems become evident very quickly though, if there are any . . . once the screen is installed and working properly, there are very few instances (to my knowledge) of them suddenly developing a fault . . . I think Joe Fernand posted something about the reliability of them a while back, and how few he'd had returned etc.

13. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Look at Norwich Union Direct. They do a very good home goods breakdown policy

14. r22flyer

r22flyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bigb,

Unfortunately, been there, done that.... no good....

Look at their terms and conditions - what's not covered:

What isn't covered
    Any breakdown of flat plasma display TVs liquid crystal display TVs or rear projection TVs

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's worthwhile having written confirmation that your insurer is covering your plasma. My insurance company lists items valued at £1500 or more in the policy schedule.
    Verbals aren't worth a whole lot.