Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Breakdown Cover on TAG Equipment

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Burgy100, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With the demise of the 2 year warranty and the later models sold with 1 year warranty, has anyone considered taking out extended warranty on their precious bits of equipment? In the 2 years of ownership my FLR had to go back, which obviously was carried out under warranty. What happens now with Audiolab ?

It seemed TMA proved expensive if your part failed on you and with up to 6 weeks to fix. I thought it wise to take out some extended cover on my 3 TMA products and although quite steep quotations, hopefully it will give me some peace of mind on my £8000 investment for the next 4 years.

Regards

Steve

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Whats the deal if it cannot be repaired due to lack of parts? I almost sudder to think what the insurance premium was.....

3. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Graham,

The deal is 4 year accidental damage and breakdown cover. If the unit cannot be repaired an equivalent replacement unit will sourced. Obviously I will argue that case.

Premium Costs (from memory)

DVD £172 for 4 years cover
    DP £150 for 4 years cover
    Amp £90 for 4 years cover

Total £412 / 4 years = 103 / year for £8000 worth of TMA equipment, thats 1.3% per year of the total cost

Regards

Steve

4. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve,

Could you tell me who insured the items? Considering the price is for four years cover it looks attractive enough for me to be interested.

Thanks

Simon

5. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Simon,

Of cause, it was through Domestic and General. Had to insure each appliance seperately though.

Steve

6. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that Steve,

I take it you phoned them up (rather than them phoning you) and asked for a quote?

Simon

7. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Simon,

Yes I phoned them. The website is www.domesticandgeneral.co.uk. Don't bother to try and do it on line as TMA equipment is not listed, as you stated I had to do it over the phone. The administrator struggled to start with but the policies came through last week. The costs are based on the equipment cost and if you are still within warranty you get the added advantage of accidental damage.

Now I have spent the dosh on the policies I may never need them, but if something did happen I would obviously argue the case of getting it back to Audiolab for the repair and not one of their networks.

Some people do not believe in insurance, but I plan to keep my stuff for the next few years and no warranty does concern me. You only have to go through the forum to see some of the problems that have arisen, anyrate hope it helps.

Regards

Steve