Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Brazil PAL-M versus UK PAL-I

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djnsh, Feb 1, 2003.

1. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend recently asked me if a VHS tape recorded on UK equipment would play in a VHS recorder of someone living in Brazil. I told him it would, however would like to be sure before he sends tapes to his friend.

If memory serves, I believe in terms of Broadcasting Brazil use the PAL-M system as opposed to the UK using PAL-I. However am I correct in thinking that the eventual format written to tape is just 'PAL' and the M and I derivations just refer to the tuner section for reception of transmissions?

My only query is that I heard a rumour that PAL-M uses 30 frames per second as opposed to 25 frames which I thought only PAL (as found in the UK) uses. If this is the case - surely the tape would not play in PAL-M equipment.

Clarification of this matter would be much appreciated.