1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brazil... new R2 vs. R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by redlester, Apr 8, 2003.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see at long last Brazil is about to come out on R2. Unfortunately they seem to have repeated the Life Of Brian fiasco, in that most of the extras of the R1 3-disc set are not present.

Should I wait & see if there's a R2 "special edition" or can anyone confirm if the R1 is worth the money (£38.99 from Play.com)?

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If you're a fan of the film, then yes - worth the price of admission for the "Battle for Brazil" documentary. TV edit of the movie is interesting too. Only drawback is that the movie is non-anamorphic widescreen.

3. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm a huge fan of the film, but have been holding off getting the R1 hoping for a "definitive" R2 version to come along. Hugely disappointed to see the new one that's about to arrive doesn't seem to fit the bill....

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid 45.00 for my region 1 and I am thoroughly happy with it. Being a Yorkshireman, I would rather have paid a lot less, but it is one of my favourite films, so I dont mind:)

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    If you want a definitive version get the R1 Criterion the 3 disc set is superb, and is winderfully packaged as well, only thing is the sound is only Stereo

6. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the criterion edition from cd-wow for £30 - but don't seem to have listed at present. Superb box set.

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Criterion R1. Both versions of the film and the extra's disc is superb. The packaging is great and the film is tops.

I got mine years ago from DVD-Express (now dvd.com and NOT a recommended retailer) for about £40ish. Well worth it.

8. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very tempted. It's available from http://www.dvdboxoffice.com who are in Canada but do free worldwide shipping, for $73.95 (Canadian dollars) which I make it equates to £32.31.

Am just concerned about it being non-anamorphic. I hate having to use the stretch function on my 32" widescreen - am I likely to notice picture degredation, or is it only marginal quality loss...?

9. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    hi,

re non-anamorphic, i noticed quite a drastic loss of picture quality when viewing this vers of Brazil on a ws tv (eg "jaggies" down edges of curves etc) but then but av setup isn't of the greatest calibre.

does prog-scan alleviate these problems?

regards,
    anephric

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Criterion have, as usual, done a fine transfer, and the loss when zoomed is slight. Best solution; buy R1 3 disc set with all the extras and wait for the UK R2 release to turn up at £6.99 on Play, then you'll have the best of both worlds...