Bravia W5500 DLNA compatibility

Da_mENIZ

Standard Member
Ever since I got 52W5500, I'm trying to make it work with DLNA servers. To make other's folks life easier i'll share my findings. (which are ridiculous, btw)

I use:
1.) ushare on fedora, and on WD MyBook WE => ps3 fine, W5500 sees it but not supported

2.) twonky media on WD Mybook WEII => ps3 fine, W5500 supports it almost no video playback (i have grabs from Sony DV, Sony HDV tapes + Sony HD AVCHD which should be supported but unfortunateley not) + twonky makes you a pleasure to scale photos down, so there is no way to see them full screen (how briliant)

3.) minidlna works only on my WD Mybook WEII, W5500 sees it, but doesn't want to show any files :(

4.) fuppes on windoze, PS3 fine, not supported on W5500

5.) PS3 media server on windoze, PS3 fine, not supported on W5500

6.) TVersity on windoze, PS3 fine, not supported on W5500

7.) Nero 8 MediaHome on windoze, PS3 fine, W5500 sees it works with photos :), MP3 works first 30s :(, Video worked only one avi grab from TV, no AVCHD...

Now tell me this isn't ridicolous.
On top of that: Applicast completely useless, no RSS, YouTube :nono:, Flickr :nono:, practically no real use.
I'm total Sony fan, (ps3, AMP, 52X2000, now 52W5500, Handycams..) but this one is really a ripoff. Why they market all those options when they are crippled.

Now, I wonder,
Would sony maybeee, update firmware or that is it.
Otherwise I have to study Samsung in detail to see if I can get this to work normally.

Regards,

d.

tesla246

Novice Member
it is true that the DLNA capabilities of the w5500 are very limited indeed. However, the samsung are also limited and almost any tv on today's market.

DLNA on tv's is in an early stage, and I think next year's models will improve it in many ways. In my opinion, samsung, sony etc. only integrated it to make the spec list longer, and havent given it much attention.

Therefore, you shouldnt buy a telly this year because of DLNA or applicast feature.
By the way, what is your opinion on the telly aside from the horrendous DLNA and applicast feature?

Da_mENIZ

Standard Member
I see what are you saying, but what should I watch for one year ;). If they publish technology, they should support it.
anyhow

TV is very good, comparing to my old 52X2000, I like picture quality better. I'm also happy that supports digital signal through CATV which is considerably better quality than analog. Also the XMB OS is familiar if you have psp, ps3..

Well I'm really looking forward to get 52X5500, but couldn't wait, so I'll probably sell it later. I was really keen to fix it on the wall with single CATV + UTP cable and would be able to watch thousands of photos, videos, but it's true pain.
btw photographs look really stunning. My old 52x2k is too contrasted, so I have to give W thumbs up.

ChrisGgr

Novice Member
internet features on tv's are limited this year,and I doupt if we see any update.It will definitely be better next year,but for now you cant have much more.As for the server,the only quaranteed software is the WMP 11 which the W5500 can recognise all the files that supports

F

fabio_m

Hello,
I'd like to add to your experience.

I tried Windows 7 RC (will be out in October) and Windows Media Player 12: you will be happy to know that I can successfully stream photos, mp3 and videos.

I even managed to transcode AVIs and MOVs out of the box. And this is the best part for me, because no other software managed to achieve that...

Give it a go, you can download the RC from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx.

Da_mENIZ

Standard Member
Thanks Fabio,

I went on and install Windows media Player 11 and Bravia 52W5500 see's it fine. I can view photos properly scaled :smashin:
but no music :thumbsdow and no Video :thumbsdow still.
I couldn't even find an option to include .mts .m2ts files which are AVCHD, HDV from sony's HD Handycams.
I've shared all possilbe video formats, but none was recognized by TV, although in WMP11 in library I can see those files, but under category "other media" and I can play them on my WMP11.

I wonder when we will find DLNA server, that can work with Bravia?

Regards,
d.

F

fabio_m

Hi Da_mENIZ,
I think that WMP 11 does not support transcoding, meaning you should be able to stream only the formats supported natively by the TV, i.e. JPG (photos), MP3 (music) and MPEG2 (video). Not sure about the HD formats...

However, my post mentioned version 12 of WMP, which is quite different. This version also supports transcoding. Of course, many DLNA servers claim to support transcoding, but they don't actually work with our TV...

WMP version 12 works well for me, but you can't download it. In fact it's still in development... However, you can download a RC (Release Candidate) version of Windows 7, which will include it.

Thanks.

Da_mENIZ

Standard Member
You're right Fabio. Widoze 7 is with WMP12, and you can't use it for XP.
in W5500 spec says video supported formats mpeg1, avchd... so i should play it normaly, which is not the case.

I don't really like transcoding, since it only becomes a complete mess. Most of DLNA servers don't really have proper support for transcoding, so they just put hi load on PC, in you have some more videos. + plus what PC can nowdays transcode AVCHD on the fly, or any other reasonably good hd content.

F

fabio_m

Da_mENIZ,
MPEG 1 is supported from the USB connection. DLNA supports MPEG 2. At least that's the case here in the UK.

I agree that you lose quality with transcoding, and to be honest I have not even tried HD content - I was just so happy that I could get it to work at all!

Da_mENIZ

Standard Member
I tried Nero Media Home v4 trial now, and all folders are shown on TV, but can't find any file. I renamed them to .M2T, .MTS, .mpeg, but still no go

AVCHD raw .mts was supposedly supported and also make sense
HDV raw .m2t was also suppose to be supported
I'm happy there is no transcoding, so I know it's exactly right format,
but no luck.

But then again, think why would one buy such TV, if not for HD content, but Sony is probably too afraid people will be watching ripped movies, so they rather screw up everyone.

What is most disturbing fact for me, is that XMB is same as PS3 so I believe it's same OS with some tweaked options on TV, ps3, psp but so uncomatible as they would be developed on different planets

H

Haggard

Try saving your HDV files with the ".ts" extension. I've put a bunch of my home movies on a TwonkyMedia server and they play great on my Sony KDL-52Z5100.

Haven't gotten my older Mini-DV files to play though so I'd love to hear if anyone has had luck with that.

I'm hoping that Sony will add more support with a future software update.

Cheers.

bv2312

Standard Member
Hi All

I have been reading this post for a few weeks;

I too have used Nero Media Home 4 and can not stream anything other than original MPEG2 files even if you force the transcoding.

I spoke to Nero Support and this is what they said:

We could reproduce the problem. It is only possible to stream mpeg2 files to the Sony Bravia. The problem is the Sony Bravia does not support transcoded files so unfortunately it is not possible to stream transcoded files to the TV.​

However on Sony Site it says that Vaio are supported using VAIO MEDIA+ is anyone is able to download and install that on a NON sony PC let us know
If anyone has a work around do let us know!!!:lease::lease::mad:

Last edited:

Joe76000

Novice Member
Hello Guys,

Very interesting and useful information and tests given previously in this subject.

BRAVIA'S DLNA CLIENT NOT WORKING AT FIRST
I would like also to share with you my experience regarding my 2 months old Sony Bravia KDL-46W5710E (same as KDL-46W5500 with a small delta makeup from W5500 series) bought in France and what I was obliged to do for having its DLNA client working.
No thanks at all to Sony for its none compliant DLNA client even if Sony was able getting the DLNA Certification ID: REG70364600 for their KDL-46W5710 from the DLNA.ORG.

ABOUT PHILIPS TV DLNA CLIENT
I have to highlight an important fact regarding Sony's competition.
In the same environment & location and with the same technical set up (Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11) by just replacing above SONY TV set by either the Philips 42PFL7423H (released in June 2008) or the Philips 42PFL8404H (released in June 2009), I can fully read and play - YES/YES - on the Philips TVs all their announced media files including of course the video ones. In add the number of native formats is much-much larger on the Philips 42PFL8404H than on the Sony W5500 series!

MY 1ST SERIE OF TESTS WITH MY BRAVIA
I have conducted tests on my Sony TV set with the following configurations, but not only limited to:
=> under Windows XP SP3 (2 PCs) & Vista SP2 (2 PCs):
- "WMP 11" sees the Bravia. Bravia sees the server, lists the shared folders, lists and plays Photo and Music files BUT doesn't list any video files including these mentioned in Sony's TV manual; i.e. AVCHD, HDV and MPEG2-PS,
- "Nero MediaHome v.2.5.17" sees and confirmes Bravia DLNA client is on line. Bravia sees the server, lists all the shared folders BUT is not able to list any files inside, and
- "PS3 Media Server v.1.10.51" doesn't see the Bravia, and Bravia cannot talk with it.
=> under Linux Ubuntu 9.04 (2 PC):
- "XBMC v.2.0.x", Bravia is not displaying the server, but can ping it (with the TV Server diagnostics) and says cannot talk with it because the file formats are unknown!, and
- "PS3 Media Server v.1.10.51" doesn't see the Bravia, and Bravia cannot talk with it.

ONE "VERY FUNNY" THING
I have used the same set of media files (Photo, Music & Video) on each PC as well as on a 2 GB USB key formated in FAT32. When you have no video at all through DLNA, you can read more video formats from an USB key connected to the TV than what Sony has announced in their Operating Instructions Manual!!! This includes AVCHD Full *.M2TS files and AVCHD Lite *.MTS files.

SONY'S FRENCH HOTLINE IS OUT
I have spent more than 5 weeks of heavy work with several phone calls a week of one way communication with the bloody Hotline of Sony France trying to get out from them a list of qualified DLNA server(s) working with their Bravia DLNA client (W5500 series). I got nothing at all, just marketing bla-bla-bla! What a company, must be the nippon humor adapted to the French sauce.

SONY AND BRAVIA DLNA CLIENT
SONY is more than quiet regarding their DLNA implementation on the W5500 series. Sony is just communicating on the marketing side of their DLNA and not at all on the technical set up and detailed requirements.
Have a look at the extracts, at the end of this post I made from their LCD Digital Colour TV BRAVIA KDL-46W55/57xxE (Europe) Operating Instructions Manual as of June 2009. You have nothing more about DLNA.
This is really unacceptable from a company and a manufacturer who would like to be one of the worldwide leader in mass market electronics!
Even more, searching on the Internet, SONY is not communicating at all regarding the DLNA specifications of their products and especially of their TV sets, unlike e.g. PHILIPS and SAMSUNG!

SONY is just doing "Marketing Bla-Bla-Bla". So the only available information for its clients and the consumers on the Web are:
Sony Global - Technology - DLNA
Getting Started
Televisions and Projectors |  KDL-46W5710 | Sony Support Europe
Etc...
BUT, even that is not included into their TV Owner's Manuals.
Once again, Sony is remaining in the clouds and never put on the table the hard facts that customers using its DLAN Client absolutely need and are expecting to receive from Sony!

SONY IS COMING BACK BUT NOT WITH A SONY SOLUTION
Then, few days ago, Level 2 of their French Hotline called me with the following message:
"Sony Japan doesn't have available any list of certified DLNA servers as it is not Sony's policy to make such communication. Nevertheless, all servers certified DLNA v.1.5 should work fine (!) with our Bravia DLNA clients. But for making you pleased, Sony is recommanding you to download PS3 Media Server at least v.1.11.350, to install it on your PC and enjoy your videos. Sony as made the tests in Japan and it is working. Then, Sony's hotline confirmed by email the software download link."
As we say it in France: "C'est fort de café".

DID I GET A SOLUTION ? !
Latest PS3MS is the ONLY ONE DLNA / A/V UPnP Server with which the DLNA Client of my Bravia was finally able to properly dialog for all media files (Photo, Music awa Video!) both under Windows and Linux! It is the greatest DLNA software server I have seen so far!
(Java) PS3 Media Server (PS3MS) v.1.10.51 was not working BUT PS3MS latest current beta v.1.11.356 (under Windows XP SP3 and Linux Ubuntu 9.04) is now working with my KDL-46W5710E.

SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
At the beginning PS3MS with transcoding capabilities was dedicated to only the Sony PS3 but this is not the case anymore.
You can download this very nice free software from the offical site at:
PS3 Media Server • View topic - Download latest PS3MS Beta build
The Beta version 1.11.350 introduces, among others things, the following new and interesting fonctions:
- Externalization of PS3/Xbox playback profiles, it's now possible to create profiles for any media renderer, and
- Includes PRELIMINARY support for SONY BRAVIA, Popcorn Hour, Samsung Wiselink, FREEBOX HD.

MY 2ND SERIE OF TESTS
Then, I have conducted my new tests on the weakest PC we have at home; i.e. HP Pavilion notebook zt3330EA with CPU Pentium M (1 core) @ 1.5 Ghz, RAM 2 GB, LAN Fast Ethernet @ 100 Mbps (used for the tests) and Wi-Fi g @ 54 Mbps, PS3MS v.1.11.356 with its default parameters both under Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04.
I do confirm the DLNA client of my Bravia is reading directly (NO transcoding) and playing the video streams from PS3MS for both AVCHD and MPEP-2 as long as the video files are in their real native format (with no transcoding traces & buffer empty) and with CPU peak use < +/- 35%); e.g.:
-> "Sony HDR-SR7 AVCHD Full.M2TS" [container: mpegts] [video: h264] with LAN Bandwidth (as of WXP Task Manager) used without transcoding +/- 20% and with transcoding "FileMame.M2TS [MEncoder]" +/- 40% (Transcoder folder). Both with perfect playing.
-> "Panasonic Lumix TZ7 AVCHD Lite.MTS" [container: mpegts] [video: h264] with LAN Bandwidth (as of WXP Task Manager) used without transcoding +/- 15% and with transcoding "FileMame.mts [MEncoder]" +/- 15% (Transcoder folder). Both with perfect playing.
-> "Monlight Shadow MPEG2 Generic.MPG" [container: mpeg] [video: mpeg2video] with LAN Bandwidth (as of WXP Task Manager) used without transcoding +/- 3% and with transcoding "FileMame.mpg [MEncoder]" +/- 5% (Transcoder folder). Both with perfect playing.
If not, Transcoding (Transcode folders) is working +++ very well or + so-so or --- not at all (blank screen) depending of the original video files format. So, I need to spend more time on it for understanding all the transcoding setups awa all the possibilities you see on the TV's screen in the #--Transcode--# folders.

I was also able to stream media files from SP3MS v.1.11.356 with the UPnP client of my FreeBox HD (Set top box from my French ISP Free) connected to my Bravia by HDMI and to my LAN by a so called FreePlug (Power + A/V Homeplug). Further tests later on.

LAN RELATED
As reported by the Status folder of my PS3MS, I am getting the following LAN speeds:
- Sony Bravia W5500 series: 44 Mb/s (~ 25m wired (CAT.5E cable) Fast Ethernet through 10/100M switch between my PC and Bravia), and
- FreeBox: 64 Mb/s (with 2 FreePlugs).
The 100 Mbps UPnP router is integrated inside my Trilpe Play FreeBox (internet box with Adsl Modem + VoIP phone + Adsl TV).

In the PS3MS's Transcoding parameters folder you can play with the MPEG2 Quality presets. This is very nice and usefull when you are transcoding... BUT, don't forget obviously the power your PC can deliver when Transcoding to MPEG2 AND also the bandwidth your network can deliver too.

For the above 2 AVCHD files with a 85 Mbps Homeplug it was just a nightmare with poor quality of images, I thought was my poor PC not enough powerfull, but in fact was not...

The issue was my NETWORK: WiFi g @ 54 Mbps and HomePlug @ 85 Mbps (CPL in French) are not working properly for HD video streams due to their limited REAL bandwidth (~ 5 to 10 times lower than the annouced max speeds!), even if you play with PS3MS transcoding quality presets.

So, you need (based on my tests) to set up from best (++++) to +/- good (+) the following type of network:
- Wired Giga Ethernet @ 1 Gbps LAN (today very rare along the whole link),
- Wired Fast Ethernet @ 100 Mbps (today the most popular and it is stable),
- A/V HomePlug (CPL) @ 200 Mbps (today +/- expensive and linked to home electrical wiring quality), and
- WiFi n @ 108 Mbps (today not as populated as WiFi g but stronger and more stable).
Don't forget, if you have a bottle neck on your LAN, your real max LAN speed will be limited to what this bottle neck can achieve.

PS3MS SOLUTION IS NOT ONLY FOR W5500 SERIES
This PS3MS v.1.11.350 & above solution should work with the following Sony's Series released in Spring and Summer 2009 in Europe, as it seems they have got the same DLNA Client:
- KDL-32E55xx - KDL-40E55xx,
- KDL-32V55/56xx - KDL-37V55/56xx - KDL-40V55/56xx - KDL-46V55/56xx - KDL-52V55/56xx,
- KDL-32W55/57xx - KDL-37W55/57xx - KDL-40W55/57xx – KDL-46W55/57xx, et
- KDL-40WE5xx - KDL-46WE5xx.
Many thanks and congratulations to "shagrath" and long life to PS3 Media Server.

NAS and DLNA SERVER
Needing to store and share all kind of files over our LAN (wired, wireless and homeplug) in one given place, I just bought a nice NAS (Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1 TB White light) which also includes a DLNA Server (Twonky Media Server v.4.4.9w). First tests are +/- promising. More to come on this subject in a week or so.

Hope this post was useful and could help.
Have a nice day. Cheers.

= = = = =
LCD Digital Colour TV BRAVIA KDL-46W55/57xxE (Europe)
Operating Instructions Manual as of June 2009

Extracts from this Operating Instructions Manual.

PAGE 25 (EN)
* PLAYING BACK PHOTO/MUSIC/VIDEO VIA USB *
USB playback is supported for the following PHOTO file formats:
- JPEG (JPEG format files with the extension “.jpg” and conforming to DCF 2.0 or Exif 2.21)
- RAW (ARW/ARW 2.0 format files with the extension “.arw”. For preview only.)
• USB playback is supported for the following MUSIC file format:
- MP3 (files with the extension “.mp3” that have not been copyrighted)
• USB playback is supported for the following VIDEO file format:
- MPEG1 (files with the extension “.mpg”)

PAGE 28 (EN)
* USING HOME NETWORK FEATURES *
With this TV, you can enjoy contents stored in DLNA-compatible devices on the home network.
Devices that store and provide contents, such as photo/music/video files, are called “Server”. The TV receives the photo/music/ video files from the server via the network, and you can enjoy them on the TV even in other rooms.
To enjoy the home network, a DLNA- compatible device (VAIO, Cyber-shot, etc.) is necessary as a server.
In addition, when you connect your TV to the Internet, you can enjoy displaying a photograph that shows its location on the map (page 26), or enjoy "AppliCast" while watching a TV programme (page 29).

PAGE 30 (EN)
* ENJOYING PHOTO/MUSIC/VIDEO FILES VIA THE NETWORK *
To play files that are received from a network device, they need to conform to one of the following file formats.
- Still images: JPEG format
- Music: MP3 format or linear PCM format
- Video: The following file formats stored on the sever: AVCHD, HDV, MPEG2-PS (which in some cases may not be able to be played) !!!!!!!!!!
Depending on the network device, the file format may be converted before transfer. In such cases, the file format resulting after conversion is used for playback. For details, refer to the instruction manual for the network device being used.
Even files conforming to one of the file formats given above cannot be played in some cases !!!!!!!!!!
The file name and folder name support only English.
= = = = =

keithh6

Novice Member
I now have my 40W5500 streaming video, music and pictures from my windows 7 PC via the Libraries service and MSMP12. Disappointingly, unable to access files on my NAS from the TV even though I have made them part of the library and set them as 'available all the time'.
Much to the frustration of my partner I can now interrupt her viewing and display whatever I choose on the TV remotely over the network. For the sake of domestic harmony I have stopped doing this (but want to work out how I can do it from offsite!)

mini-moog

Standard Member
I took delivery of a 40W5500 yesterday and briefly tried the media streaming with my Linkstation Live. The TV connected to the linkstation as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable. Unexpectedly, the TV worked perfectly with the media server in the linkstation (using standard Buffalo firmware), and i could view pictures, play mp3s and it played the only mpeg1 file I had on the server without a glitch. Given how picky the tv seems to be with other media servers and how flaky the linkstation media server is i am pleasantly surprised at this, although i dont really have much use for this feature as the tv wont play divx or mkv but at least it works...

Joe76000

Novice Member
NAS and DLNA SERVER
Needing to store and share all kind of files over our LAN (wired, wireless and homeplug) in one given place, I just bought a nice NAS (Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1 TB White light) which also includes a DLNA Server (Twonky Media Server v.4.4.9w). First tests are +/- promising. More to come on this subject in a week or so.
= = = = =

So now more about my new WD NAS.
It was plugged onto my LAN, I put media files into the 3 Public folders used by TMS, and my Bravia recognize immediatly the TMS. Great!

And.. The DLNA's client of my Bravia is well playing JPG photos. Great!
BUT... I had issues with MP3 and Video files (Mpeg2, AVCHD lite and full):
- MP3 are only played for about 15 seconds each.
- MPEG2 & AVCHD files are only played for 1 to 2 seconds or even less! It is really a shamme!

After Googling the Web, finding some inputs, I contacted the Hotline of WD in France.
Their feedback is as follows:
- TMS v.4.4.17 at least or above is needed for playing correctly Music & Video files on Bravia W5500 series.
- WD in US is working on the firmware package update to integrate a new release of TMS fully compatible with the Sony Bravia W5500 series (who is - as we know it - not 100% DLNA compliant!).
- Wait at least a few weeks before the potential release of our new firmware (currently v.1.00.16) with the integration of either TMS 4.4.17 or + / or even TMS v.5.x (which also includes a Renderer but this function could be disabled as our NAS's CPU should not be enough powerfull for realtime video transcoding).

Wait and see...
Cheers.

Last edited:

Joe76000

Novice Member
Update on Western Digital NAS and Twonky Media Server

I have downloaded TMS v.5.0.68 (30 days trial & full specfs) and installed it on one of my PC running under Windows XP SP3.

IT'S BETTER, BUT...
There are definitively some very interesting improvements versus v.4.4.9w (TMS version embedded into my WD NAS), but still not 100% compatible with my Bravia W5500 series.

TMS v.5.0.68 vs v.4.4.9w (playing with the DLNA's client of my Bravia) thru LAN
OKAY:
- JPG photos work good with both versions.
- MP3 music files are now playing well, full time, fast-forward and fast-rewind too.
- MPEG2 video files are now playing well, full time (even up to 90 mn), fast-forward and fast-rewind too (with 3 speeds).

STILL TO BE IMPROVED (list not exhaustive)
- LCPM is not always either listed or playing.
- AVCHD (lite & full) is not listed, so no play (even if OK within TMS Media browser).
- In Advanced parameters / Media receivers of TMS: Sony's TVs are not yet listed (so purhaps why the compatibility is not at 100% yet), and TMS chooses by default "Generic Media Receiver".
- No transcoding (renderer) is implemented even if sayed by WD's holine!

Based on above, it seems TMS v.4.4.17 or + including v.5.0.68 is not enough for Bravia W5500 series...

So, need to wait for further TMS updates to fix hopefully above issues.
Nevertheless, I need it integrated into my WD's firmware updates from WD...

PS: Still today, SONY has nothing to propose; i.e. at least one DLNA server fully qualified by SONY running under Windows XP / Vista (and/or Linux) which is 100% compatible with the DLNA client of its Bravia W5500 series!!!

Wait and see.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Joe76000

Novice Member
Hello,

Here after is an update of one of my previous comment:
"PS: Still today, SONY has nothing to propose; i.e. at least one DLNA server fully qualified by SONY running under Windows XP / Vista (and/or Linux) which is 100% compatible with the DLNA client of its Bravia W5500 series!!!"

Now, the situation has changed as Sony has updated during the last days its European support web page for Bravia W5500 series (also true for at lot of other Bravia series):
Home > Televisions and Projectors > Television > LCD TV - BRAVIA > KDL-46W5710 > FAQ's and Knowledge > Frequently Asked Questions: DLNA:
KDL-46W5710Â*|Â*Sony Support Europe

When you read carefully thru those +/- 7 pages where Sony is trying to make the point on its view of the DLNA's client implementation inside its latest Bravia series, you just get an appetizer... The main course is still not there!

* * Before continuing, let's me highlight the most important and very crazy statement of sONY:
" " " " "
Q: Is Sony providing a DLNA software (server) or recommending a specific one?
&#8226;Recommended models are VAIO computers equipped with VaioMedia Ver 5.0 or later, and Vaio computers equipped with VaioMediaPlus.
" " " " "

=> Once again and again, Sony who is promoting since years this DLNA standard, which is an open and well defined standard, and who is also a Member Companie of DLNA.ORG awa a Promoter Member of DLNA.ORG, is acting towards its Bravia's owners without any consideration at all... "You bastards have bought my Bravia TVs, I make money with it and you are just idiots!"

Sony's conclusion thru its 7 pages of a "so called support" is as follows with a few key extracts including my comments.

* GENERAL *
Q: What kind of device is compliant with the client device?
&#8226;Only devices which are compliant with DLNA guidelines.
&#8226;Recommended models are VAIO PC equipped with VaioMedia after Ver5.0 and Vaio PC equipped with VaioMediaPlus.
Click here to obtain more information related to manufacturers:
Home - DLNA
=> Sony is now telling us its DLNA's client is not DLNA compliant as you must use a dedicated Sony's DLNA server (proprietary), when DLNA is still supposed to be an open A/V streaming standard over the LAN!

Q: Can I connect the television to a Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) compliant product from other manufacturers?
&#8226;This television set can be connected to the network device (server) which is compliant with DLNA guidelines.
=> Not true, as of today Sony recommands only its VaioMedia S/W sold with its Vaio PC series! Nothing else!

Q: Can the television set be connected with other DLNA-compliant products from other manufacturers?
&#8226;This television can be connected to a network device (server) which is compliant with DLNA guideline. The television can play still picture (JPEG), music (MP3, linear PCM) and video (AVCHD, HDV and MPEG2-PS).
=> Not true. Read this whole thread.

Q: Which version of DLNA guideline is supported?
&#8226;DLNA guideline 1.0.
=> Sony is a great liar! Everywhere in its documentation and advertising is/was written "DLNA guideline v.1.5"! It seems Sony has revisited its position.

Q: Which formats are supported for playback?
&#8226;Still picture: JPEG.
&#8226;Music: MP3, Linear PCM.
&#8226;Video: AVCHD, HDV(MPEG2-TS), MPEG2-PS.
Note: Some files may not be played in some servers.
=> No more than inside the Bravia's user manuals!

* NETWORK *
Q: What kind of network is supported?
&#8226;It supports TCP/IP protocol LAN which is formed with a 100BASE-TX type network LAN cable. Hub or router which is compliant with 100BASE-TX, ADSL modem with router function should be used.
=> As inside the manual, no more!

* VIDEO *
Q: Which video formats are supported?
&#8226;AVCHD, HDV(MPEG2-TS), MPEG2-PS. However, some files may not be played in some servers.
=> Obviously Sony Bravia W5500 series is not DLNA compliant!

Q: Is DIVx format supported?
&#8226;No, it is not.
=> This format has to be converted into a readable format by the DLNA client. (This is in line with the TV's manual).

Q: Is MKV format supported?
&#8226;No, it is not.
=> This format has to be converted into a readable format by the DLNA client. (This is in line with the TV's manual).

Q: How can I playback the video camera formats in my TV set using a media server?
&#8226;You can playback AVCHD or HDV (MPEG2-TS) format via VAIO Media plus.
=> Once again, Sony is selling Sony! Buy Sony, Sony needs money...

Q: I cannot playback AVCHD, and HDV formats using my Windows Media Player 11.
&#8226;Windows Media Player 11 does not support AVCHD and HDV.
=> This is just "********": In the same location and with the same setups, by just replacing Sony Bravia W5500 series by Philips LCD-TV either 42PFL7423H (released in June 2008) or 42PFL8404H (released in June 2009), WMP 11 (WXP & WVISTA) was perfectly acting as a DLNA server and both Philips TVs were able to well play all my video files (for all formats supported by Philips TVs) including AVCHD!!!

Q: My multimedia server program is DLNA compliant but I cannot reproduce the video.
&#8226;One of the file formats which you are trying to playback is not supported by the server.
=> Once again, this is pure "********": the DLNA's client of Sony Bravias is also part of the problem, but Sony doesn't want to recognize it!

"The CHERRY on the CAKE by SONY ITSELF"
Q: Is Sony providing a DLNA software or recommending a specific one?
&#8226;Recommended models are VAIO computers equipped with VaioMedia Ver 5.0 or later, and Vaio computers equipped with VaioMediaPlus.
=> Well Sony, you are a big "swindler"! You would like to force us to buy Sony, and again Sony, only Sony, just Sony... for making more money!

Q: Which VAIO models feature DLNA and video compatibility?
&#8226;VAIO computers that counts with the DLNA Certified logo.
=> No comment...

Q: Why is the TVersity server not appearing on the TV XMB (but it does show on the PS3)?
&#8226;Tversity is a UPnP MediaServer application and not a DLNA server.
=> Once again, Sony is telling us his own story about DLNA...

CURRENT SOLUTIONS (this list is not exhaustive)
So, we have identified (the writers on this thread) at least 3 DLNA servers which can work today (even if it is not at 100% yet) with the Sony Bravia W5500 series and associated:
- PS3 Media Server (great and freeware) running at least under Windows XP & Vista and Linux,
- Twonky Media Server (alone costing ~ 20&#8364; and not as good as PS3MS) running at least under Windows, Linux and NAS (thru the manufacturer), and
- WMP 12 running today only on the new Windows 7 (but you will have to buy at least this new OS when released for taking advantage of it and this will have a real cost).

I am just "****** off" by Sony who is claiming to be one of the worldwide leader in consumer electronics. This is just rubbish!

Hope you have now a clearer idea of what you can do with the DLNA client of your Sony Bravia W5500 series and similar, BUT mainly what you cannot achieve with it!!!!!
Cheers.

PS: An European firmware update (version PKG 1.570EA) is available but it seems this has nothing to do with DLNA.
You can have a look at the following URL:
Televisions and ProjectorsÂ*|Â* KDL-46W5710Â*|Â*Sony Support Europe
You can change to your Specific Model on the right part of the page.
Applicable models:
&#8226;KDL-22E5300 / E5310
&#8226;KDL-32E5500 / E5510 / E5520 / V5500 / V5610 / W5500 / W5710 / W5720 / W5730 / W5740
&#8226;KDL-37V5500 / V5610 / W5500 / W5710 / W5720 / W5730 / W5740
&#8226;KDL-40E5500 / E5510 / E5520 / V5500 / V5610 / W5500 / W5710 / W5720 / W5730 / W5740 / WE5 / Z5500 / Z5710
&#8226;KDL-46V5500 / V5610 / W5500 / W5710 / W5720 / W5730 / W5740 / WE5 / Z5500
&#8226;KDL-52V5500 / V5610 / W5500 / Z5500

Last edited:

bv2312

Standard Member
Nice read, I have been using Nero Homemedia but WIn 7 is the best so far!!

However i'm unable to use PS3 Media Server; when i stream my videos the picture is all blurry and audio out of sync i have version 1.11.350

How did you get it to work?

Joe76000

Novice Member
Just not easy to answer just like that as it is depending of your overall setup and what you are trying to achieve.

But... Let remind us few key points true for PS3MS and others too:
- When no transcoding: you should be able to directly play (in native format) on your Bravia AVCHD, HDV and MPEG-2 files perfectly with of course the quality of the original files.
- When on fly transcoding (to MPGE-2) is needed and occuring, the final quality will be limited by the quality of your original files (e.g. if you have a low quality AVI 350x240, it will be zoomed to ~ 1920x1080!!!, which will give at least "******" pictures). Also PC CPU usage could be high, so you need more or less CPU power depending of the file which is transcoded.
- Transcoding parameters (in folder of same name) are also key: choose first the by default ones. Then you can play with the Quality setup: 8 are curently proposed and you can try depending of your LAN speed and CPU.
- Your LAN real bandwidth: never use Wi-Fi "g" nor HomePlug 85 Mbps, avoid, if possible, Wireless even "n" and A/V HomePlug 200 Mbps. Definitively, The Best is Wired LAN: with the 100 Mbps or even better with the 1 Gbps LAN (don't forget the bottle neck on your LAN = your real max bandwidth).
- V.1.11.356 is better than 1.11.350, but don't forget both are still in Beta version and most important these 2 versions are the first implementation (only 1,5 month old!) of the Bravia W5500 series support. So, we need to be a little patient for getting its 1st real release to market with surely a better efficiency.
- Also, Read thru PS3MS "Readme" and "FAQ" folders where you can get more detailled information.

Cheers.

dodiak

Standard Member
The same experience with Samsung. DLNA label is on the LE-40A859S, but the TV works only with Samsung SW - as I have heard. All my test with several media servers failed.

The help desk has no clue what they are talking about. After 2 days finally technician from Samsung called me, and confirmed, that the device is not really DLNA compatible and only compatibility is with Samsung SW ...

Hello Guys,

SONY'S FRENCH HOTLINE IS OUT
I have spent more than 5 weeks of heavy work with several phone calls a week of one way communication with the bloody Hotline of Sony France trying to get out from them a list of qualified DLNA server(s) working with their Bravia DLNA client (W5500 series). I got nothing at all, just marketing bla-bla-bla! What a company, must be the nippon humor adapted to the French sauce.
= = = = =

Joe76000

Novice Member
Hello Dodiak,

On my here above 16/08/2009 post, I have mentioned an alternative for your Samsung!

Question:
Did you test "PS3 Media Server v.1.11.356"?!

Extract of my post:
" " " " "
SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD
At the beginning PS3MS with transcoding capabilities was dedicated to only the Sony PS3 but this is not the case anymore.
You can download this very nice free software from the offical site at:
PS3 Media Server &bull; View topic - Download latest PS3MS Beta build
The Beta version 1.11.350 introduces, among others things, the following new and interesting fonctions:
- Externalization of PS3/Xbox playback profiles, it's now possible to create profiles for any media renderer, and
- Includes PRELIMINARY support for SONY BRAVIA, Popcorn Hour, "" Samsung Wiselink "", FREEBOX HD.
" " " " "

The world is not perfect, but at least you have with PS3MS a real alternative which will improve over each new release! So?!

Cheers.

Joe76000

Novice Member
Update on Western Digital NAS and Twonky Media Server
Hello,
This is an update of my 2 weeks ago post in this thread regarding my WD NAS and Sony Bravia KDL-46W5710E (W5500 series).
I have received the following from TwonkyMedia. This seems promising for both the PCs awa the NAS (as long as WD decides to include it into its firmware's update!)
Cheers.

===Message from TwonkyMedia===
=> I add: "Has to be confirmed by real tests!"

TMS 5.1 is now available!
The primary goal of this release was to improve performance issues that have been encountered with the 5.0 release.
This release offers all server features included in the 5.0 release with the exception of off-the-shelf WMDRM support along with the additional features listed below:

· Background Transcoding
Some media formats cannot be transcoded on the fly at all, others require a high performance platform. We therefore introduced background transcoding that is pre-transcoding media whenever the platform is not busy with other tasks. This is based on the same plugin-architecture as the on-the-fly transcoding. Desired output formats, available space and CPU utilization can be configured.

· Removable media
TMS 5.1 allows sharing content stored on removable media like USB storage devices or network drives. The availability of removable media is automatically detected.

· Utilize devices that do not have any internal storage as media server – removable media only (e.g. routers)
· Removable media as add-on storage (e.g. for NAS)
· Stream content from network drives through PC server

· View configuration
TMS supports multiple views (navigation trees) on the same content.
From TMS 5.1 onwards views can be selected per client device. A default view per device can be assigned in the client database.

· SQLite
Our own home-grown DB implementation was replaced by SQLite to align with other PV products. Due to performance reasons, utilization of the DB is however restricted to persistent storage of metadata.

· Native DLNA certification support
In earlier versions, a specific configuration was necessary for the certification process. In TMS 5.1 this process has been streamlined to allow certification taking place in the default configuration including support for upload. TMS 5.1 passes DLNA CTT 1.5.00.52.

· Windows 7 compliance
TMS 5.1 has been tested by Microsoft against their Win7 compliance test suite and passed all tests. That means WMP as DMP can utilize TMS 5.1.

· Enhanced user experience with Sony Bravia TVs
Through cooperation with Sony in Germany and Spain we managed to enhance the browsing experience with Sony Bravia TVs significantly. Users no longer need to select the content type twice. When TMS is for example selected after selecting music in the main menu of the Bravia TV, it will directly provide the music navigation tree.
=============================

orcan

Standard Member
Hi, i have some simple questions to ask.

If i buy Sony LCD TV that has DLNA support (ie. W5500) is this possible:

1. To play DIVx movie from PC via wireless network (802.g)?
2. If not, is it possible to play it via wired ethernet (100mbps)
3. If both answers are no, is this possible to do with some other brand ie. Samsung or Philips? Thx!

Joe76000

Novice Member
Hi, i have some simple questions to ask.
If i buy Sony LCD TV that has DLNA support (ie. W5500) is this possible:
1. To play DIVx movie from PC via wireless network (802.g)?
2. If not, is it possible to play it via wired ethernet (100mbps)
3. If both answers are no, is this possible to do with some other brand ie. Samsung or Philips? Thx!
Hello Orcan,

If you have well red this whole "Bravia W5500 DLNA compatibility" thread, you must already have your answers to your Q.1 & Q.2.

But let's phrase them again:
Q1. The Bravia W5500 & associated cannot read DIVx directly even via wireless LAN!
Q2. The Bravia W5500 & associated cannot read DIVx directly even via wired LAN!
* The DLNA Client of the W5500+ series can only read and play thru LAN the following native video formats: AVCHD (lite & full), HDV and MPEG-2. All other video formats MUST FIRST BE TRANSCODED either by a dedicated S/W (like FormatFactory) before streaming them to Bravia or on fly by a DLNA (UPnP A/V) Server (like PS3 MS v.1.11.356 or above).

Q3. For Philips, Samsung or other TV brands, you can read thru their User's Manuals which are available on the web site of Philips, Samsung, etc. and/or search thru this Forum for Folks having such TVs and really using DLNA on their TVs for seeing what is doable and what is not doable.
* A TV Brand claiming being 100% DLNA compatible (DLNA certified with the logo) means (today) almost nothing, as each TV manufacturer has its own understanding of this standard and mainly the(ir) proposed (when proposed) DLNA server(s) working with their DLNA Client is/are different from one brand to an other brand!
Plus, there is NO obligation for supporting (read/play) a minimum set of video formats natively by their DLNA Cient! It is purely the jungle for us!

Hope it is clear(er)... Good luck...
Cheers.

Last edited:
Having read this thread occasionally as it grows in length I wonder what all this fuss is about DNLA.

It would seem that all manufacturers with DLNA are playing the same game with consumers. Sony have been doing it with VAIO owners for years (Vaiomedia).

I can understand playing videos on the TV but why music files, it must sound like a cheap transistor radio.

Last edited:

orcan

Standard Member
Joe,

Thx. for reply and your big efforts to go through the DLNA jungle while testing it. I forgot to ask one more question. Those formats you mention (mpeg2 being the most known one for me) - that also applies on files played from USB stick right? So, to conclude, with Sony TV it's impossible to play some DIVx (mpeg2 or mpeg4 encoded) without having it transcoded? Thx.

keithh6

Novice Member
Having read this thread occasionally as it grows in length I wonder what all this fuss is about DNLA.

It would seem that all manufacturers with DLNA are playing the same game with consumers. Sony have been doing it with VAIO owners for years (Vaiomedia).

I can understand playing videos on the TV but why music files, it must sound like a cheap transistor radio.
DLNA is supposed to be an agreed standard - nothing like Vaiomedia where you knew it would only work with Sony kit. So it kind of rankles when Sony say you have to use the W series with Sony kit if you want to be able to use the DLNA capability they advertise.

I don't imagine sound is much of a priority for people posting here (although it is nice to ba able to use it with slideshows), it is the video that is really the priority. But if we are going to ever have the ideal of one media server and multiple players around the house then the sound has to be part of it. We are obviously a long way from that just yet - unless you are prepared to tie yourself into one manufacturer.

Joe76000

Novice Member
Joe,
Thx. for reply and your big efforts to go through the DLNA jungle while testing it. I forgot to ask one more question. Those formats you mention (mpeg2 being the most known one for me) - that also applies on files played from USB stick right? So, to conclude, with Sony TV it's impossible to play some DIVx (mpeg2 or mpeg4 encoded) without having it transcoded? Thx.
Hello Orcan,
I am pleased to see that my testing could be usefull.

Now back to your latest questions.
=> What VIDEOs are playable thru a USB stick and/or USB HDD on the Sony Bravia W5500 series & associated?
* USB VIDEO playback is supported for the following:
- MPEG1 (files with the extension &#8220;.mpg&#8221;), and
- I add AVCHD (lite *.MTS & full *.M2TS - not in Sony's manual but tested by myself and it is working great)!

BUT-BUT: neither MPEG-2 (only thru DLNA) nor DIVx (mpeg2 or mpeg4 encoded) awa any other video formats.

So that means when trying to play Video files thru USB you have first to transcode / reencode them on your PC into the following few native formats readable and playable thru USB by the Bravia W5500 series; i.e. into MPEG-1 (Low Def. quality) or AVCHD (High Def. quality).

Make also the same in deepth analysis for the other TV brands and make sure you get realiable data from folks who have effectively tested by themselves the TV's USB & DLNA video capabilities (not just reading specifications and/or thinking it could work such a way!).

Hope this will help, but looks like the Bravia 2009 (video thru DLNA & USB) is not what you are looking for!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Joe76000

Novice Member
DLNA is supposed to be an agreed standard - nothing like Vaiomedia where you knew it would only work with Sony kit. So it kind of rankles when Sony say you have to use the W series with Sony kit if you want to be able to use the DLNA capability they advertise....
Hello Keithh6,

I do share your opinion...
As already written several times in this thread, today the TV manufacturers are using the DLNA capabilities of their TV, and especially SONY, as a marketing tool for trying to better convience a larger number of people to buy their products...
You are right, and especially with Sony trying to tie its customers base to Sony... Other(s) are doing the same, like Microsoft with its Windows OSs.
WE, the customers, have to always take care when we decide to spend few hundreds and even much-much more Euros for such or such A/V equipement. This is where the interest af such a Forum like AVForums where we can share our experiences, successes, no success, etc. with the other users...

By the way, on my side, I am reporting all my posts, done on this forum awa on other forums (english and french), to the Management of my local (French) Sony's Customer Support.
This is also a manner to try changing a bit the behavior of this giant which is Sony...

Cheers.