Bravia TV: iPlayer produces poor results

Stevie DVD

My folks bought a Sony Bravia 49XD8099 about three years ago. It performs well with a good clear picture at least on the HD channels. It is used mostly for Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube which all can produce a resoundingly dynamic image.

Where it is notably deficient is when using BBC iPlayer and there are three issues:

1. When viewing invariably there will be a couple of interruptions of the spinning buffer wheel – usually this will rectify itself but, nonetheless, the break is annoying. But occasionally the signal is lost indefinitely so planned viewing remains incomplete.

2. Equally unsatisfactory is a flickering white horizontal line at the lowermost part of the screen. Can anything be done to eliminate this irritating feature?

3.Subtitles by comparison to NF & AP are pretty poorly provided, being well out of time with the prevailing dialogue/soundtrack. I guess this could just be a BBC anomaly but it would appear less evident on BBC terrestrial broadcasts.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on these perceived inadequacies, please? Any help much appreciated. :)

Morden

My folks bought a Sony Bravia 49XD8099 about three years ago. It performs well with a good clear picture at least on the HD channels. It is used mostly for Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube which all can produce a resoundingly dynamic image.

Where it is notably deficient is when using BBC iPlayer and there are three issues:

1. When viewing invariably there will be a couple of interruptions of the spinning buffer wheel – usually this will rectify itself but, nonetheless, the break is annoying. But occasionally the signal is lost indefinitely so planned viewing remains incomplete.

2. Equally unsatisfactory is a flickering white horizontal line at the lowermost part of the screen. Can anything be done to eliminate this irritating feature?

3.Subtitles by comparison to NF & AP are pretty poorly provided, being well out of time with the prevailing dialogue/soundtrack. I guess this could just be a BBC anomaly but it would appear less evident on BBC terrestrial broadcasts.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on these perceived inadequacies, please? Any help much appreciated. :)

Do you restart your tv weekly?
Also try clearing storage cache and cache for iplayer.

You didnt say if TV is connected via Ethernet or WIFI.
WIFI is unreliable, I would always used wired connection for all devices apart from handheld mobile devices.

I dont experience any issues with iplayer.
On my v6 box text is always behind picture for all channels, likewise primetv, think just part of what happens when you use subtitles.

Stevie DVD

No, we are not in the habit of restarting the TV on a regular basis. Should this be done on a regular basis? Anyway the caches have been cleared but the said problems remain.

The connection is through wi-fi. Whilst I realise that this is clearly not so robust as an Ethernet connection any would-be associated problems appear to leave the reception re Netflix and Prime completely unaffected, so it is perplexing that only iPlayer remains impacted. Converting to an ethernet connection would be problematic, currently, but I accept it is something that would be ideal in due course.

Thanks for your help, though.

Morden

No, we are not in the habit of restarting the TV on a regular basis. Should this be done on a regular basis? Anyway the caches have been cleared but the said problems remain.

The connection is through wi-fi. Whilst I realise that this is clearly not so robust as an Ethernet connection any would-be associated problems appear to leave the reception re Netflix and Prime completely unaffected, so it is perplexing that only iPlayer remains impacted. Converting to an ethernet connection would be problematic, currently, but I accept it is something that would be ideal in due course.

Thanks for your help, though.

Yes as android tvs are really a computers, regular restarts on a weekly basis will clear memory registers and help prevent issues like running slow or issues with apps etc.

You can use powerline plugs to have ethernet where cabling is not practicle or costly to do cleanly.

Not sure what issue is with your iplayer, you could try uninstall/reinstall or a factory reset?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom