Bravia TV File Names Differ

gpoly

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm a long LONG time lurker but have never really needed to post a question before due to the excellent existing posts you can browse on this forum on just about any topic!

My problem is my new Bravia TV which I have just purchased for the bedroom. It is a Sony KDL40EX520. I use it occasionally to browse videos on my Synology DS1511 NAS. All my video files are named using the same convention (i.e. The Walking Dead.S01E05.720p.mkv)

Yet every now and again, I get a file name that will display as something different in the file list in Bravia media player display (i.e. "China" or "Epilogue" etc), but on my media players on other TV's they show up as the filename. Its really got me stumped as to why.

Is this some sort of hidden header in the file that is forcing the episode name to display? Can someone suggest how this can be overridden/changed or how I can add these episode names into the files that don't have them? I'd just like everything to display consistently for a better WAF.

Thanks!
Glen

NX3

It must be the DLNA server on the Synology doing something, the tv won't rename files. Are you using the stock server or something else like Serviio ?

gpoly

Standard Member
Hi Nx3

I'm using the stock server. Its not so much that the server is renaming the files since the file names remain unchanged on all my other devices (and when I look via the PC). The Bravia is just displaying a different name on SOME files, not all. Its almost like the files have a hidden header of some sort that the Bravia, much like MP3 files which can contain album/artist information. I have a Boxee Box, Beyonwiz and WDTV in other rooms (as well as a MAC, PC and iPAD) which I use to gain access to the Synology, but none of these have this issue. I have never seen this before on an MKV file (all my files are MKV), and I have been "using" MKV files for many years now.

Thanks
Glen

NX3

I've never seen this on my 2011 Sony, not unless Serviio renames the file collecting the wrong meta data. I'm pretty sure the tv isn't capable of getting meta data even. Check the files it renames with mediainfo, see if they have a header / metadata

DeanA

Not seen this on my 46HX929 with Synology DS212. Just an idea, but on your Synology box, under Control Panel/Media Server/Browsing Settings, make sure the check-box for "Show video's title using embedded information" is unchecked.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom