Bravia KD55XG81 and HDR.

ron swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the above television and I'm very happy with it except for the HDR aspect. No matter how much I adjust the settings I get either a washed out or overly dark image so I've just disabled it.

Having done a little reading I'm going to guess that while my TV can do HDR it isn't particularly good at it. I was just wondering if there are any other people who own this set that can give me their input at all before I give up on the HDR side of things.

I have the same issue both with the onboard app on the tv as well as my PS5 that supports it.

Thanks.

I have the above television and I'm very happy with it except for the HDR aspect. No matter how much I adjust the settings I get either a washed out or overly dark image so I've just disabled it.

Having done a little reading I'm going to guess that while my TV can do HDR it isn't particularly good at it. I was just wondering if there are any other people who own this set that can give me their input at all before I give up on the HDR side of things.

I have the same issue both with the onboard app on the tv as well as my PS5 that supports it.

Thanks.

Unfortunately most tv's have HDR on the box but in reality, like yours, they are just not capable of producing HDR as intended, it's only the top end LCD televisions from each manufacturer that tend to be capable of this . You would need to be looking at the Sony XH9005 or better still the XH9505 if you can find one as they are virtually sold out now. This years equivalents are the X90J and X95J series. Or look at the top end Samsungs and also Hisense, TCL etc.

Even top end LCD TV like my Sony ZD9 at times struggles to produce a three dimensional picture like my OLED. 1000+ nits is where the these top end LCDs shine and it's limited to bright scenes only.

Thanks, my inkling was that the TV just wasn't capable of doing it correctly. I've read in a number of places about while technically they can produce it they don't do it in a particularly good way. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a trick with settings etc.

More than happy with the set so I'll just turn it off as it makes the picture way more defined and colourful.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, my inkling was that the TV just wasn't capable of doing it correctly. I've read in a number of places about while technically they can produce it they don't do it in a particularly good way. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a trick with settings etc.

More than happy with the set so I'll just turn it off as it makes the picture way more defined and colourful.

Thanks for the help.
When you say 'turn it off', what exactly do you mean?

disable the hdr totally on my consoles and on the TV so I don't use it anymore.
Yeah I was going to say it's generally not really possible to turn off HDR on a TV, you have to turn it off on the sources providing content to the screen :)

My TV gives the ability to scroll through a couple of different variants of HDR as well as turn it off. It's buried in the advanced menu of the picture settings. It needs doing for each input separately though.

I turned it off there as it gave me the option to as well as the equipment that wants to use it to avoid any sort of issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom