• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

bravia engine 3 vs bravia engine 2?

Fearless

Standard Member
Seriously, whats the difference? what will i notice? especially interested in those who have used/seen both. I know i've seen them together in currys and couldn't really see a difference (s5500 - v5500), but perhaps 007 trailer wasnt the best for noticing(?)

I want to use my TV for 360 gaming (mostly CoD4) and some SD/Hd veiwing, and i keep seeing that the v5500 is THE choice as it has bravia engine 3 but i really don't know why.

Let me know what you think.

giangdarookie2

Seriously, whats the difference? what will i notice? especially interested in those who have used/seen both. I know i've seen them together in currys and couldn't really see a difference (s5500 - v5500), but perhaps 007 trailer wasnt the best for noticing(?)

I want to use my TV for 360 gaming (mostly CoD4) and some SD/Hd veiwing, and i keep seeing that the v5500 is THE choice as it has bravia engine 3 but i really don't know why.

Let me know what you think.

better color reproduction and ,accuracy, motion handling anf noise reduction, scaling and deinterlacing, BE3 is better in everyway.

Fearless

Standard Member
Thanks for the above, however this is what i've read already. I want to know how much 'visual' difference there is with them side by side. Although that is what it boasts, in real-life performance how much difference does this really make? what conditions/video clip would i be able to see the difference? would i notice it when playing a fps like cod4? or is the difference in real life not that obvious at all?

Cheers

giangdarookie2

Thanks for the above, however this is what i've read already. I want to know how much 'visual' difference there is with them side by side. Although that is what it boasts, in real-life performance how much difference does this really make? what conditions/video clip would i be able to see the difference? would i notice it when playing a fps like cod4? or is the difference in real life not that obvious at all?

Cheers

I would say, post calibration and in controled enviroment it should be obvious.

however it is impossible eto tell the difference in store condition. I dont think it matters much for games like COD, but for movies and TV i will. also if u play more advance grafical games like final fantasy 13, or killzone 2 and stuff, COD engine is starting to show its age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fearless

Standard Member
I would say, post calibration and in controled enviroment it should be obvious.

however it is impossible eto tell the difference in store condition. I dont think it matters much for games like COD, but for movies and TV i will. also if u play more advance grafical games like final fantasy 13, or killzone 2 and stuff, COD engine is starting to show its age.

May i ask why it would be impossible to tell the difference in store?

cheers for that.

Fearless

Standard Member
because the lighting is too bright and the TV are not calibrated.

im not saying the difference should be nihgt and day, im saying it is noticable and worth the money.

Oh right, that makes sense.

Have you seen them both in action yourself? if so, were they calibrated? and was there a difference that you could notice yourself?

giangdarookie2

Oh right, that makes sense.

Have you seen them both in action yourself? if so, were they calibrated? and was there a difference that you could notice yourself?

we own a W5500, but unfortunately the only place i saw them both is in store, and yes i could not tell any difference between them. :)

I would say, if your budged is really limited, than try out samsung or LG.

The S5500 is one of those sony Tv not worth buing IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom