Braven (2018)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by richp007, Feb 2, 2018.

1. richp007

richp007
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,547
    Couldn't see any chatter for this on here at all. It came to my attention when it popped up on my RSS feed about how this is likely to disappear under the radar. But it is in fact a very good action thriller, paying homage to the 80's and 90's classic style of action flick, you'd normally find Jean Claude Van Damme starring in.

When Joe (Jason Momoa) and his father Linden (Stephen Lang) arrive at their remote hunting cabin, they’re hoping for a quiet weekend. What they find is a stash of heroin, hidden in the cabin by drug traffickers led by Kassen (Garret Dillahunt). When the criminals suddenly descend upon the cabin, Joe and his father must make a kill-or-be-killed stand for survival.

[​IMG]

#Trailer

Braven Official Trailer #1 (2018) Jason Momoa,...

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,863
  3. richp007

richp007
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,547
    That's exactly the link I got on my RSS :D was coming back to post it. Nice one.

yeah looks right up my street to be honest. Very honest surprised I've seen no-one on here mention it at all.

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    am I the only one that's watched it so far?

I thought it was decent, very grounded and real world in how it's all done. There's no unkillable supermen in it, everyone who takes a punch or gets cut by a knife feels it, which is something I always appreciate in a movie. Jason Momoa's good, he's not a man of many words but I still felt I got to know him plenty in the first 30 minutes and felt connected to him as things play out. He is who he is so you know he's going to be manly as all hell
    (if it wasn't JM the very end might be a bit harder to swallow),
    but there's also a realistic sensitive side and believable vulnerability to him and you can get behind him from the outset because he does what I think we'd all like to think we'd do in the situation he finds himself in.

I didn't get the 90's throwback thing at all from it, maybe that's me, I just saw an honest, low budget action drama that does everything it can to wring every penny out of what was obviously a very low budget. They use the landscape, small cast and limited isolated locations well, and our guy sticks to making weapons out of what's lying around the mountain cabin and workshed.

There's an emotional hook at the start that you may or may not relate to and without watching the trailer again I'm not sure if it's brought up in it so I'll tag it
    it's established right at the start his dad's suffering the onset of dementia following an accident some time earlier and is often confused and gets himself into trouble, and it's the reason they're up at the cabin and end up in the situation they do in the classic wrong place at the wrong time way

I guess it's perhaps a minor thing but, for viewers of a certain age, it's definitely something you can relate to and can get that extra connection to the characters through it. I thought it was a good thing to include, and makes the film that little bit more personal for me as a viewer.

All told, it's not a game changer but it's solid, well made, believable and realistic. It doesn't outstay it's welcome. Most of the 2nd tier characters are pretty thinly sketched but you know what you need to. I'll watch it again

5. richp007

richp007
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,547
    Not had a chance yet mate. But really looking forward to it, especially after what you've said.

And yes, interestingly enough that emotional hook is what I'm going through right now.

6. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,863
    Jason running around like a huge loaf, he's never going to be graceful

thought it was average, but somewhat enjoyable 7/10

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    I liked that aspect of it, that and what I referred to as the "emotional hook" are the things that drew me in the most. He's a lump of a man so he moves and fights like a lump of a man, they don't go down the fantasy action route you used to get with Arnie and Sly films back in the day, sometimes being that size doesn't give him any real advantage at all. It's not flashy and there's no spectacle to it, it's just low budget, low rent grass roots stuff with the kind of scrappy fights you could pretty much see in a pub on a Friday night. I like that about it.
    Even with the elements that hooked me in I'd probably score it about the same as you Rai (7's a respectable score for something like this, I think), but those elements made it different enough to give it an edge over similar stuff like it, for me. It's the kind of basic film I return to more often than the big wow movies. Even if it's technically in the nothing special camp, I didn't feel like it needed to be to leave me satisfied when it finished.