1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand Spanking new Pioneer 434 - 125hrs clocked up?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jwramsay, Sep 16, 2004.

1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Having received a buzzing Pioneer 434 from John Lewis last Friday, I complained about the buzzing and received a full new set-up today i.e. Display, Tuner, Stand & Speakers.

My wife was at home, the blokes installed and removed the old setup.

Now, I get home, can still hear some buzzing but definately not as loud as the previous set.

However, the top edge of the black gloss surround has scratches everywhere, that can't be removed by the supplied cleaning cloth.

I went into the service menu using the following button presses on the remote :

1) Button directly below the 9 button - Press and hold for 4 secs
    2) Press the following in Turn : Left - Up - Left - Right
    3) Press the Orange Standby button

The Display will now show the service menu. Scroll through using Up or DOWN.

The following are displayed :

a) HOUR METER 00125H47M
    b) MR HOUR METER 0005H58M
    c) P ON COUNTER 46 TIMES

Now, I'd deduce that this means this Plasma has been switched on for 125 Hours and 47 Minutes and has been switched on 46 times. At least 6 of these are down to me testing for buzzing.

I wouldn't classify this as new, thoughts?

2. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would be contacting JL ASAP and tearing a strip off them.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sounds like a shop demo TV to me

4. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if it had been a shop demo, it would have clocked up more hours than that, and would probably not have been switched on so many times, but you never know.

I think there is a good chance that it has been returned by someone else.

Either way you definitley want to do something about it. If any of the above are correct, John Lewis certainly wouldn't want it getting out. I would be trying to get more than just a new replacement because of the inconvenience they have caused.

5. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I was just checking that these were not subject to a burn in period that clocks up the hours.

It's like ordering a brand new car and getting one with 1000 miles on the clock. I feel used.

Any I will not miss with JL today.

6. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    JL were very apologetic are going to replace it with a "new" set.

7. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why don't you ask for a 435 with improved PQ, (or is that a can of worms?)

8. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Blimey, it must be costing them a fortune in delivery charges! :suicide:

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    And two blokes are removing, repacking, unpacking and installing!

As for the 435 issue, that'd be naughty.

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sorry...but at the moment ..there is nothing suggesting that the 435 is better than the 434.... see a couple of relevant threads in the last 2-3 weeks...

11. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it would be naughty at all to ask for an upgrade.

This will now be your 3rd plasma. You might have had to Potentially had to take 5 days off work now, waiting in for the delivery team to arrive. This is a big company to whom reputation means a lot. It would have been bad enough, had they sent you 2 faulty displays, but they actually sent you a second hand one.

I would even be naughty enough to try for the 504. Can't do any harm.

Cheers

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Surely from JL this was simply a mistake, I cannot believe they would try this on. A bit shocking though, not something they would like advertised. But blackmail is an ugly word, and a bit harsh for a mistake.

13. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    as mentioned though, there arent any compelling reviews as yet, so it could be a bit of a gamble.

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think they have made an honest mistake, they are very apologetic, I have asked them to get to the bottom of why it happened and let me know.

They agree wholeheartedly that sending used/returned/graded/shop-display goods in certainly not on.

I must say, this apart, their customer service is excellent, unlike Currys online who I had some recent dealings with.

When you splash out so much dosh on a luxury like this, you can't be settling for second best.

15. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, I think you took me the wrong way. I certainly wasn't suggesting that PDP-434HDE threaten to spread the word if JL do not give him an upgrade. I was simply suggesting that he ask for an upgrade because of the inconvenience he has been caused.

Had PDP-434HDE not had the technical knowlege to find this information, then he could possibly have been stuck with a second plasma, not to mention that first one he was sent, was faulty.

I agree that their customer service is very good and that is my point. Because they are a reputable company with a history of exellent customer service, they are more likely to give you an upgrade,vouchers or money off because of the inconvenience that has been caused.

Don't forget to take into account, waht 5 days work might be worth to some people. Thats a weeks wages.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Maybe a bit, there are people on here who would do this, no offence meant! You didn't come over as seriously suggesting this, but I thought I'd put a retailer's point of view. Sometimes you find a customer where nothing goes right, no matter how hard you try. This seems like one of those cases. JL will put things right, I would if he were my customer.

17. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have now received my new 434 from John Lewis. The service menu proves its new and it has no scratches on the black frame.

Not totally silent, but much quieter than the first (faulty) one.

Great service by JL to sort out these problems so quickly.

18. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had mine for just over 3 weeks on Friday when I complained to JL about the buzzing - mine is buzzing so loud I can hear it over the dialog unless the volume is cranked right up.

It took them 5 days and more phone calls to get the service people involved (Baron McCann fwiw), and now I'm being told they can either take it away for repair, or write me an engineers report that I can take back to the store and see if they'll refund/replace.

Anyone got any advice? As it was less than a month old when I logged the fault, do I have the right to demand a new replacement?

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    All Pioneer plasmas come in a Pioneer box with built in tilt sensor (square plastic thing stuck on the outside of the box) with a big warning saying that if the sensor has been activated (turns red), you must refuse delivery as any warrenty claim will not be upheld if you accept delivery and a the screen is damaged. Having unpacked a fair few of these things it always results in the sensor being triggered...So if you have a Pioneer delivered with the sensor triggered it has been opened before and should be refused, the black surround has cling film over it from Pioneer......That deals with shop demo units......

Buzzing from the Plasma and return after only a month, I'd say you have the right to say it should be replaced, once you accept a repair getting it replaced is quite hard for "joe normal" unless of course they can't fix it..... Most plasmas do buzz a little as it is inherrent to the design but certianly you shouldn't hear it at normal listening distance and volume.

20. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you know the screen is damaged if you do not unpack it first?

Are you expected to open the box in front of the delivery man, so you can inspect it before accepting it?

I would contact the store to notify them of the report, and I think they will swap it for you. I am not sure if you have a legal right to ask for a replacement but considering you contacted them before their 31 day return policy runs out, I think they would probably replace it on good faith.

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Todda.
    You missed the point, you shouldn't even open the box if the tilt sensor has been triggered (i.e. not even cut the straps off.......).......The box has this warning all over it, ignore it at your peril...... I know a fair few outlets and the distribution point favour Pioneer delviering direct on occasion, it don't take much working out why.....

If everthing seems to be in order, then I'd insist on unpacking it whilst the delivery bloke is there and before signing for it to check for any other cosmetic damage. I'm not saying JL won't believe you if you ring up and say its damaged in transit but not all are like JL.....
    After all it is £3k's worth of money.........

I agree though that the report should be more than enough under the circumstances to get JL to replace it.

22. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did understand what you meant GrahamMG.

I think your advice was good. I was not aware that the Pioneers were packaged like this so I'm sure many other people who are aiming at buying a plasma aren't. It is definitely something to look out for.

The bit I was very surprised at was
    I'm surprised it's even legal. Delivery companies usually deliver to the door and then leave.

Cheers

23. indiana

indiana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Plasmates,

After reading and following this forum, i got so much information about the perticular models i was intrested in, that before i had the set at home, i was already prepared with the things i was going to face.
    I got one of the last of the PDP 434 sold in Munich yesterday and am very happy with the performance. Have to do some detailed tests on it still, but it looks a good display anyways. The wallmount took us about 1-2 hours to get it on the wall(Apart from the CRIBBY GERMAN neighborhood :nono: ). Rest was simple.
    Also checked in the Service Menu that the display was brand new.
    Once again i would like to thank you all guys to share your views and information with all :thumbsup: .

Indiana

24. indiana

indiana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, wrong thread :rolleyes:

25. Quartz

Quartz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, you sign for it as normal, but write NOT INSPECTED on the delivery ticket.

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Guys.....

Read what it says on the outside of the box, ignore that at your peril..... Do you really want a huge row over returning a £3k unit just because you couldn't be bothered to check the tilt sensor?

I'd suggest that if the tilt sensor is intact and the box is obviously undamaged then some may sign the delivery note with "not inspected" but if the condition of the box isn't prefect then you really owe it to yourself to check. I'll agree that powering it up before signing for it isn't practical though but we ain't discussing that here. I know the first thing Pioneeer will ask if the unit is DOA, is if the tilt sensor was activated as that forms a significant part of the warrenty statement......

Its your money.....

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Graham, get your nomeclature right. What Pioneer have is a SHOCK sensor. Panasonic come with both tilt and shock. The shock one, personally I would refuse delivery. A tilt sensor is no problem. It's to let you know if they've ignored the instruction to transport upright. Just a quick tip sets it off, but you know this won't hurt the plasma, you do this to put the wall mount on. It's being shaken whilst flat that could be dodgy, could stress the glass. Panasonic tilt sensors are marked with instructions, it specifically says don't refuse, check the goods.

28. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread but does anyone know how to get into the service mode to check the hours clocked on a Pioneer 435 fde?

The remote for the fde does not have a button directly under the number 9 it is just a blank space.

TIA

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    What you say isn't correct....... The sensor on the outside of the box is a TILT sensor, it is even called "TiltWatch"...... The big blue and yellow A4 sized warning sheets taped to the top of the box point you in the direction of not accepting the plasma if the sensor has been triggered. I also beg to differ on the "tipping" being OK, chances are that it would rupture one or more plasam cells if it is laid on its face and subjected to any movement, we have seen many examples over the years of this damage. Of course the tilt sensor says it has been tilted, the customer doesn't know how much....... BTW you have to tilt it a fair way before setting off the sensor....... The built in Shock sensor is not what I was talking about and I think you know that.

30. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @MR ETOME

It might be button below 7 instead at least it has the same function as the 'below 9' button on the HDE/XDE