1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new Z2 does not work, pls help!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by arora, Dec 29, 2003.

1. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received my new z2 from Price Japan and could not start it up...
    :(

In accordance with the manual here is what I did....

1. Completed all the connections to my DVD player and amplifier
    2. Connected projector's AC power cord
    3. Opened the front cover
    4. Turned the main switch to ON (back of the projector)
    5. The power indicator flashed red for a moment and then remained red (this is normal)
    6. I pressed the power on/off button from the top control panel of the projector couple of times, and then from the remote control
    7. I heard some noise, but as the cooling fan was about to start, everything shut down, and the warning light went red (NOT NORMAL !!!!!)
    8. I went to page 42 of the manual, Maintenance and Cleaning - "Warning Indicator", which suggested to disconnect AC power and reconnect
    9. I performed step 8, 4-5 times, but still no success!!!!
    10. The manual suggested to contact service station.....

Unfortunately I did not opt for "shipping back option" :suicide: with Price Japan and it will cost approx $500 Australian to send the unit back.

Just wondering if someone else has seen this problem and could help, I'd really appreciate it!!!!!

Thanks....
    AA

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    Oh dear..... not a nice situation to be in, I hope it doesn't prove to be faulty but it sure sounds like it might be. Have you checked the lamp is secure? Good luck sorting it out anyway

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks zAndy1 - I tried that but no luck.... strange thing is that Price Japan say they ship hundreds of these units to Australia, and this is the first case they have heard of as DOA, lucky me!!!!

4. PeterV

PeterV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will most likely be the lamp or lamp ballast.

I dont know how Australian Sanyo dealers approach things for people who havent purchased the unit from them, but if we (in the UK) were approached by someone who was willing to purchase a new lamp (thereby becoming a customer) we would send the faulty lamp to Sanyo for evaluation, with every likelihood (within the lamps limited warranty period) of a replacement.
    This way you would have paid for a lamp but it would be useful as a spare.

However if it is the ballast its a different kettle of fish as I dont believe Sanyo have a world wide warranty. Worth speaking to them though.

good luck

5. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks PeterV - I was going to ring Sanyo, but just thought I'd ask ppl on this forum, just in case someone else has observed the same problem...

6. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Z2 would not start up on arrival, did everything as in the manual but would not go into standby. Eventually got it to start by pressing the recessed reset button on the back panel with a biro knib, nothing happened for about 10 minutes and i was about to pack it up, then the LED started to flash as it does in standby mode and since has been fine about 100 hours now.
    Hope this helps. Dave.

7. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robbo – thanks for the tip, I tried the reset button earlier, but was not as patient. However, even now when I wait upto 15 minutes after each test I can’t get it to go. The other thing to note is that once the projector sets warning LED to red it can only be restarted by powering it off/on from back of the projector. I tried on/off button on projector’s top panel with reset but no success.

After doing a number of tests (see below), with no success, I have a couple of questions….

1. Did your Z2 kept getting stuck with WARNING LED set to red?
    2. Exactly when did you press the reset button – during power-up, while warning LED was red, after pressing the on/off button etc…?

TEST 1
    1. Connected projector to DVD player using DVI/component cable
    2. Connected projector's AC power cord
    3. Opened the front cover
    4. Turned the main switch to ON (back of the projector)
    5. The power LED flashed red few times and then remained red (this is normal)
    6. Pressed the reset button (rear of projector) (11:57)
    7. Waited for 15 minutes
    8. Pressed the on/off button on top panel of projector
    9. WARNING LED went red

TEST 2
    1. After completing test 1
    2. Disconnected power cord and switched power button ON/OFF (rear of projector) to ON
    3. Turned the main switch to ON (back of the projector)
    4. The power LED flashed red for a moment and then remained red (this is normal)
    5. Pressed the on/off button on top panel of projector, while ON/OFF button was green I pressed the reset button (12:16)
    6. WARNING LED went red
    7. Waited for 15 minutes
    8. Nothing changed

TEST 3
    1. After completing test 2 – that is with warning LED set to red
    2. I pressed the reset button (12:28)
    3. Waited for 15 minutes
    4. Nothing changed

TEST 4
    1. After completing test 3
    2. Disconnected power cord and switched power button ON/OFF (rear of projector) to ON
    3. Turned the main switch to ON (back of the projector)
    4. The power LED flashed red for a moment and then remained red (this is normal)
    5. Pressed the on/off button on top panel of projector, the power LED went green and I pressed the reset button number of times to ensure reset was done (12:48)
    6. Regardless, WARNING LED went red
    7. Waited for 15 minutes
    8. Nothing changed

8. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, sorry it appears my problem was a different fault as i wasnt getting a warning light.
    my fault was the power led wouldnt go green when i pressed the power button, it was just staying solid red. when i got it to work I pressed the reset button after a few seconds of powering the unit on, i had the front flap down, inputs connected and it started to flash red after 10 mins, then it went green when i tried the on button.
    I know how frustrating it is to have a new piece of kit thats not working and hope you get it resolved soon.

9. PeterV

PeterV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    out of interest robbo - did you try & power yours up the moment it arrived?

if the projector has been in a cold environment (ie in a courier terminal, or the back of the van), when it is bought into a warm environment condensation can form inside the unit. The projector is protected against this and will not power up until this has evaporated.

Just a possibility

10. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Robbo, I think I'll just have to wait till Monday when Sanyo open after xmas break....

11. arora

arora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peter - interesting you mention about temperature, the manual states...

The warning indicator FLASHES RED (mine is always on - not flashing) when the internal temperature of the projector exceeds the operating range!!!!

Also my unit has been out of the box for days now..... hmmm.....

12. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Peter,

I did try the pj straight away and had the same thought, but i left the pj out of the box and tried it a few times over the course of a couple of days before i had success with the reset button, what surprised me most was that the fault cleared about 10 mins after the reset.
    Dave.