Brand new XPS 17 and portable SSD.

jonwood10

Hi Guys,

I'm after some advice on this one please as Google didn't get me anywhere. I will add that I've got a support email back from Dell telling me to update drivers which I haven't tried yet but thought I had done anyway, so the problem....

I had my brand new XPS 17 delivered yesterday, the problem is that if I connect my Samsung T5 external USB type C drive to any of the 4 thunderbolt 3 ports it only appears after also plugging in a second device to the port next to it, such as my mobile, USB dongle or power adapter etc. If that device is removed then the SSD continues to work but if removed and plugged back in it needs another device to also be plugged in again.

Once working the Dell hardware checker finds the drive and confirms it's working as USB 3.1 gen 2 correct for the drive, it works fine.

My work IT guy thought that maybe it need the two devices attached to kick-start the power draw to the sockets? He see quite a few problems surrounding thunderbolt 3.

Any advice welcome please as it's blinking annoying plugging in extra stuff just to make it work.

Thanks.:)

jonwood10

Yeah, perfectly.

Once it's recognised by the laptop it works perfectly and shows as 3.1 gen 2 USB and get full speed.

Fully scanned for hardware issues with the laptop and now updated the drivers without any change.

DavidG1

I'm afraid I would go back to Dell and unless they can offer any other suggestion ask for a refund or a swapout.

jonwood10

Thanks David. It sure looks like it's moving that way.

Not having any thunderbolt 3 experience, I wondered if I was missing something. Pretty sure I'm not.

Thanks again, Jon.

techquest

No you're not missing anything. I have been an avid user of XPS 15's, still am, but Dell seem to have a few issues with regard to USB ports not recognising or recognising devices attached and then not, that they can't seem to resolve. To be fair to them it is also the responsibility of the hardware supplier to look at such problems.

I would be inclined to do as @DavidG1 suggests, as it's a new product otherwise you could end up breaking your warranty agreement.

jonwood10

Cheers for that.

Dell support want to do the whole dance of testing cables etc which I'll humor.

Jon.

techquest

Cheers for that.

Dell support want to do the whole dance of testing cables etc which I'll humor.

Jon.
Yes that's typical of them, even if you know what you're doing they still want to prove your right themselves :rolleyes:

Hope it goes well and they do the done thing

jonwood10

I tried it both ways. Tested the drive with the same cable on another laptop and worked fine.

So they sent me a cable and guess what? It worked, so great issue sorted... The track pad however is another story! I have an engineer coming out next week to replace it, honestly using it when you tap to click it rattles! Obviously the early track pad issues have not been sorted and this unit was brand new shipped straight from China too.

The whole laptop is night and day compared to my old HP envy from circa 2016 but still not great battery life from what I can see, like really not great and the screen seems to dim sometimes like auto dimming but when that feature is switched off (not power related) on a positive note screen and size are phoneminal!

jonwood10

The final chapter....

Dell sent an engineer out to replace the track pad and carbon top plate. He said he'd been on a number of calls with the same problem and no matter what it can't be made perfect due to the track pad design. I've decided it's a deal breaker for me as it feels to be honest pretty bad in operation and not what I would feel comfortable using for the life of the laptop (granted I would be using a Bluetooth mouse most of the time, but that's not the point).

I've had a return and refund agreed, which is taking an age for them to sort, so overall not massively impressed and won't be buying Dell again.

I'm probably going to go Razer 17 Pro.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom