brand new tosh 220 - can't even turn it on!

R

rdewes

Hi -

My first post here. Hello everyone.

Just bought a Tosh SD-220E on Tottenham Court Road on Saturday. £135, multi-region. From the box, looks like v1.5 of the firmware (015E printed on the sticker by the barcode).

Plugged it all in, all looked fine. Played Monsters Inc - wonderful. Only thing was - about an hour and a half in, I got a screen full of green-ish noise for a second - but it went away, & the disk played fine to the end.

Then last night, playing The Third Man. About 10mins from the end, the same screen full of green noise, but this time the player/disk hung. Pressed every button on the remote - nothing. Powered it on&off at the player - now I got the blue Tosh intro screen with a message saying "Check Disk". Same happened with the Monsters Inc disk that played fine the day before. Both are brand new/perfectly clean, Region 2.

Then it gets worse - turned the player off&on again, and it gets as far as scrolling "Welcome to To" across the LED, then dies - goes back to standby. Tried a few more times, took the power cable out & put it back, etc. No joy. So now, I can't even get it to turn on! :(

I've got it under my desk now, and I'll take it back to the retailer at lunchtime for a swap. Having found this forum though, & read all sorts of useful info here about firmware, seamless branching, multi-region, RCE etc for the 220 - I wondered whether anyone out there had seen the same thing or anything vaguely similar? Could just be a duff unit, I guess, or something the TCR guys screwed up with the multi-region hack. Any clues?

Thanks for reading. I'll post a followup when I've got and/or tried the replacement.

--
Rich.

now exchanged it with minimum hassle - FWIW, the guy in the shop claimed to have shifted 100s & never got one back - they're certainly stacked up high in the window

let's see how I get on with the replacement
--
R.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom