• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Brand new TomTom user... things to do first?

benmango

Established Member
Hi all,

Me and the g/f have just picked up a brand new TomTom Start Europe, and with neither of us having any experience of owning sat navs at all we're in a bit at the deep end!

Obv we've got it worked OK, but I just wanted to ask you all for some general guidance, such as:

- What are the first things we should do with this? (i.e. update software/maps or anything? If so, where?)

- Where do you guys get your different 'voices' for your sat navs? (preferably free!)

- Any tips in general?

Cheers. :)

Ben

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It does say in the manual, but you need to go here;

Support Home Page

Install the tomtom home software (didn't this come on disc? I can't remember) and it'll automatically download anything that's available.

That same software will also get you some free voices.

Update every week, as it will download the "GPSfix" files which tell the satnav where the satellites are for quicker start up :smashin:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
First thing you should do is take a full backup by copying the entire contents to a folder on your PC with Windows Explorer. Do this before installing Home or any updates. That way you will be able to restore if anything goes wrong.

I also do it before applying any software updates

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom