1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New SONY VPL-VW12HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KBDVD, Sep 9, 2005.

1. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Guy's :hiya:

A strightforward question I hope ......... What would a new (& I do mean NEVER USED ie: "STILL IN SEALED BOX" BRAND NEW!) one of these be worth now guy's? :lease:

I believe the 1366 x 768 resolution still "holds up" but that it's "contrast ratio" has been significantly improved upon now. ....... Any suggestions as to current value would be greatly appreciated. :smashin:

(I bought it a couple of years ago with the intention of installing it but for a number of "life" reasons, never got around to it! :( )

Best Regards,
    Keith.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the HS50 available & HS60 due in November @ £1.5 - £2k, I'd suggest a VW12 is worth at most, £1k.

Depends on where you sell it though. You may secure a little more.

:smoke:

3. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Kramer!

................ Any other opinions?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Looks to have been a swish PJ in its day, and the CR/brightness specs aren't too shabby even today. And as you say the res is HD albeit some slight scaling would be needed for 720p.

But with the AE700 and the Z3 now joining the TX100 below 1K, all with better contrast specs, I think you'll do well to get 1K.

I think you need to emphasise the original price and the probable "bullet proof engineering" that such a price would hopefully bring with it...PJ :)

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Why, how much do you want for it?

6. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Danny, :hiya:

More than I'm going to be offered it would appear :( , ... I was hoping for 2k!

Best Regards,
    Keith.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Sadly (for you in this case) things have moved on fairly quickly.

With a brand new Sanyo Z3 available for £700, with a 3yr warranty and HDCP digital input, I think, like PJTX100, that you'd be doing really well to get a grand.
    There's always Ebay though!

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I'd say about 500quid mate and I'd personally want you to fire it up and check it for dead pixels.

So if you want to sell it unopened ebay might be your best bet as it will be seen as a benefit.

9. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All, :hiya:

Thanks for all the estimates and valuations I have received on the thread & via pm ....... The only problem is that they have varied between £500 & £1,500! :rolleyes:

I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to what someone is prepared to pay! :confused:

I think the only "common thread" to all of the replies is the fact that it's build standard is a "cut above" most of the newer projectors given it's original professional market aspirations.

I think I'll either just keep hold of it or maybe try to sell it on eBay.

Best Regards,
    Keith.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I suspect that the variation in estimates you've got depends on different peoples' perception of value. There are many who will simply compare paper secification and take account of the "age" of the machine. Whereas others will recognise it's build quality (which is still way ahead of the field) and the fact that in most performance respects it's equal to the current crop, and in others it's probably better. As you say, it's worth what someone will pay; and that probably depends on exactly the same factors.

11. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Nigel. :smashin:

I thought that the 1366 x 768 resolution was "not too shabby", as indeed is the brightness. I guess that it's just the contrast ratio that's inferior to the more recent crop, but even that's fine for anybody with "blackout" home cinema viewing conditions?

After the "lower" quotes I have opened up the projector to have a peek. :thumbsup:

I haven't tried it out or switched it on but Wow! :eek: This thing is so well built!

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Well bear in mind the HS10 and HS20 give arguably better images , have more up to date inputs and you've got more chance of getting a replacement bulb for either and both are quieter and I doubt you'd get more than 600 quid for a mint HS10 or 800 for an HS20.

And thats with "0" dead pixels or screen defects.

13. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    KBDVD,

I'd be interested in the 12 - I've decided to wait a while before upgrading o a 3 chipper - so that means I have left my room as is for the time being - complete with a mount for the Sony VPL VW10ht I've been using til now.

The VW12 mght be a small upgrade until the 3 chippers come down to sensible pricing levels.

How about a VPL VW10HT in P/X (300 Hours) and some cash - how much you want?

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on how much his asking price is.........when posted in the hardware classifieds section ;).

I paid £2100 for a HS10 (one of if not the first in the UK, well, Ireland anyway :D ) that I imported through a contact in Germany. It was a bargain at that price at the time but I'd struggle to get £5/600 for it now :( .

Best of luck with the sale (if you decide to sell) Kev.

:smoke: