Brand new Sony TVs - SCRATCHES to screen and / or bezels - Bad quality control

ayveeluvva

Hi All

I'd like to highlight the fact that Sony TVs (XH90 / X900H in my case) are leaving the factory damaged, with evidence of said damage being deceiptfully hidden then boxed up.

Sony do not protect the plastic screen itself before placing in a large plastic bag, so I suspect damage is being caused by those packaging the TVs.

1st TV - Covered up by the protective plastic (yes, hidden under the tape and boxed up) - horizontal 1.5 inch deep scratch to the metallic paint bottom front bezel, location - middle left (photo attached). Also dead pixel. I decided to return for a replacement

2nd TV a few months later - horizonal scratches to the panel itself, in multiple places, but most prominent and deep near the top, centre. Frustratingly / positive note, no dead pixels and much better uniformity.

I'm debating whether to risk a 3rd! In case you're wondering, no, I did not cause this damage myself. There's no point trying to get through to anyone who cares (at Sony, to be clear) via the phone, so I've raised online.

Check your TVs everyone.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG20200919103624.jpg
    IMG20200919103624.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG20201217105219.jpg
    IMG20201217105219.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I've never experienced this. Who are you buying them from? You should report it at the point to unboxing then you are entitled to a replacement or full refund.

ayveeluvva

The scratches only became apparent in the daylight, sun shining on the screen etc... There are likely lots of others out there who won't have noticed theirs.

Via Richer Sounds, nothing wrong with their service so far, they're offering another swap (but you can imagine how disrupting boxing and unboxing 65" TVs are let alone all the days of your life wasted messing about swapping them), and yes I call them instantly. I even filmed me removing the tape from the bezels on TV 2, no scratches to them this time, just the screen, the important bit. What I would hope they would / could do, is contact Sony, who you would hope, would care about this.

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
The scratches only became apparent in the daylight, sun shining on the screen etc... There are likely lots of others out there who won't have noticed theirs.

Via Richer Sounds, nothing wrong with their service so far, they're offering another swap (but you can imagine how disrupting boxing and unboxing 65" TVs are let alone all the days of your life wasted messing about swapping them), and yes I call them instantly. I even filmed me removing the tape from the bezels on TV 2, no scratches to them this time, just the screen, the important bit. What I would hope they would / could do, is contact Sony, who you would hope, would care about this.

Hi there,

I saw your thread and was obviously sorry to read that you've been having problems.

So that I may raise the issue with the manufacturer asap, and resolve things to your satisfaction, I've dropped you a PM requesting more details.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Services
Richer Sounds

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

As Richer sounds are the shop you will be fine. Sounds like you've been unlucky. I've owned quite a few Sony televisions over the years and never experienced this issue.

ayveeluvva

As Richer sounds are the shop you will be fine. Sounds like you've been unlucky. I've owned quite a few Sony televisions over the years and never experienced this issue.

Richer Sounds are great. However 2 x brand new Sony TVs in a row with scuffs and scratches is unlikely to just be a coincidence and unlikely to just be me.

ayveeluvva

I've not seen any other reports.

Do you work for Sony or distribution or a retailer of such? You have to even be looking in the first place / catch the scratches in the right light (ie daylight / sun shining onto it / torch) otherwise near invisible.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Do you work for Sony or distribution or a retailer of such? You have to even be looking in the first place / catch the scratches in the right light (ie daylight / sun shining onto it / torch) otherwise near invisible.

Just saying I've never had, seen or heard of this issue before....even the two Sony refurbished televisions I've had were immaculate.

ayveeluvva

Just saying I've never had, seen or heard of this issue before....even the two Sony refurbished televisions I've had were immaculate.

Good :) As it should be then! I don't want others reading this thinking they should dismiss my experience (which I have chosen to highlight, thousands wouldn't bother) as "nah, that's not true, wont happen / hasn't happened to me" just because of one or two peeps who say they've never seen it. I've never seen many things or places with my own eyes, but I have no reason to doubt they exist.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Good :) As it should be then! I don't want others reading this thinking they should dismiss my experience (which I have chosen to highlight, thousands wouldn't bother) as "nah, that's not true, wont happen / hasn't happened to me" just because of one or two peeps who say they've never seen it. I've never seen many things or places with my own eyes, but I have no reason to doubt they exist.

I'm pretty sure it's exceptionally rare but always worth advising others to check their new television as soon as it is unboxed. I'm sure RS will look after you.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom