Brand new LG 50PS3000 Image Retention & 24p Issues.

leckie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an LG 50PS3000 from Currys today, I was initially going to go for the Samsung P50650S but decided to try save some money.

On setting up the LG I've noticed I'm getting image retention after just 5 seconds of an image being on the screen, for instance if I bring up the menu to change something and go back to a dark screen I can still see the menu.

I'm also having issues when using 24p with movement bordering on Hyper Realistic.

I'm almost tempted to take the set back tomorrow and pony up the extra for the Samsung.

Any Advice?

You should let it bed in a bit. Put the IR remover thats in the menu on and let it run for a few hours.

Not really sure what your problem with 24P is!

The Samsung wont be any better for image retention, if you want to avoid image retention then you need a Panasonic or, dare I say, an LCD. Let it run in a bit first, you should see a significant improvement in the first 100 hours.

I had the 50PS7000 for the best part of 3 months, and it had IR as bad as yours - it didn't get any better even after several hundred hours of use.

The 650s I've seen do suffer from IR too - I would suggest the 850 if you can find one instore (they were selling them off at £999 last week). I haven't seen IR on these, but it may still occur.

Thanks for the input, am I maybe better just going for a Panasonic G10, what was putting me off was the PC input only being 1366 by 768, if I change it to HDMI would I get the native resolution?

Thanks!

The 650s I've seen do suffer from IR too - I would suggest the 850 if you can find one instore (they were selling them off at £999 last week). I haven't seen IR on these, but it may still occur.

The 8 series is the same with regards to IR as the 5 and 6 series, I had a go with one a while back, they're all at least as bad as the LGs. The G10 might be a better option, especially if your using it as a PC monitor a lot, you might want to let the LG run in a bit first, if it gets to 100 hours and no joy then get it changed, maybe try and get it to that mark more quickly.

Just a note though, the IR which appears after an image is on screen for a very short period is slightly different to IR caused by an image which is on screen for a long time, it should vanish very quickly if something else (moving) is displayed

Last edited:
you might want to let the LG run in a bit first, if it gets to 100 hours and no joy then get it changed, maybe try and get it to that mark more quickly.

Just a note though, the IR which appears after an image is on screen for a very short period is slightly different to IR caused by an image which is on screen for a long time, it should vanish very quickly if something else (moving) is displayed

I wouldn't wait that long personally - the IR won't go away so if its bothering you take it back now. You will have no chance of exchanging it once you've run it for 100 hours, and LG won't class the IR as a fault, no matter how bad it is.

As regards Monarch's second point about it going away quickly - from my experience, having owned one of these sets, I can tell you it can stay long enough to be noticeable when watching normal TV. That's my own experience at least.

Thanks for the input, am I maybe better just going for a Panasonic G10, what was putting me off was the PC input only being 1366 by 768, if I change it to HDMI would I get the native resolution?

Thanks!
Yes, 1080p over HDMI.

I wouldn't wait that long personally - the IR won't go away so if its bothering you take it back now. You will have no chance of exchanging it once you've run it for 100 hours, and LG won't class the IR as a fault, no matter how bad it is.

It doesn't matter how long the TVs been used for, the store will go on a policy where they will accept the return if it's after a certain amount of time, which will vary from store to store, hence why I said it might be a good idea to get some hours through it quickly.

It doesn't matter how long the TVs been used for, the store will go on a policy where they will accept the return if it's after a certain amount of time, which will vary from store to store, hence why I said it might be a good idea to get some hours through it quickly.

Under law you have no right to return goods unless they are faulty. Some stores offer a generous return policy, but that is at their discretion and comes with caveats, such as that you must not have used the item. This is so they can resell the item as new, as they cannot by law sell an item as new which they know someone has used already. Personally, I can't think of any store which will allow you to run the TV for several hundred hours and then return it coz you changed your mind, and they won't class IR as a fault no matter how bad it is.

Anyway, it's pointless running the TV in for 200 hours, cos it won't make a blind bit of difference to the IR - it will still be there just as bad as it is now, and that is not just wishful thinking, that is my own experience with a current generation LG plasma screen.

Thanks!

Yeah, get a G10 and have no trouble with IR. :thumbsup:

I can see IR now and then if say the xbox 360 has been on for ages. Its very very faint and vanishes very quickly. I have to get right up to the screen straight after turning 360 off to see it though! Had no IR problems with the old PX60 either.

I think I'll be taking a trip into currys tonight to have a word with them, I'm also unhappy with how the set is handling 1080 24p material, it wasn't too bad on Wall-E but on Iron Man it was causing unnatural movement, almost like they were moving slow then moving faster, it wasn't a huge shift but definitely a visible one.

Thought I would post a quick follow up. Currys were great about everything and refunded me. I'll be picking up my G10 from the Panasonic Shop tomorrow :thumbsup:

I have no problems with 24p on mine maybe the issue is with your BD player? I've knocked up some 700hrs on my 50PS3000 (even though I reset the counter last week :oops: )
IR hasn't really been a problem for me, the only time I've ever seen it was when one of the kids left the TV on and the Sky-HD box was asking for the new card for a whole afternoon :rolleyes: in less than a few mins it had gone with a moving image :smashin:

Thought I would post a quick follow up. Currys were great about everything and refunded me. I'll be picking up my G10 from the Panasonic Shop tomorrow :thumbsup:

Hi, Id be interested to hear your verdict on the G10 in comparison to the PS3000

Ive the same issue as you with the LG (plus a few other issues) and mine is being swapped for a G10 on monday, the IR was particulary poor, I ran mine in for over 200 hours on sensible settings and it didnt get any better at all, perhaps it was from a bad batch because others havent reported the same issues, I think mine was made in July.

I think mine was made in July.

July is when all the other faulty ones appear to have been made so it's quite likely.

Enjoy your G10 anyway :D

July is when all the other faulty ones appear to have been made so it's quite likely.

Enjoy your G10 anyway :D

I heard that there was a strike in the LG factory around that time, Im not sure how true that is though tbh, I just wonder if that batch had been made in a bit of a rush?

Pity really because the LG did have nice PQ for the price point, and the outer bezel/frame does look nicer than the G10 in my opinion.

Oh well, my G10 actually arrived this morning before work, so Im sat here dying to get home to get it all set up!

Oh well, my G10 actually arrived this morning before work, so Im sat here dying to get home to get it all set up!

like a small child at Christmas?...again?!

I think there have been a couple of issues at the factory in Poland where they manufacture the TVs, I heard from a couple of people around the forums and elsewhere on the net that there have been a couple of strikes throughout the year.

ha ha, yes, I spent last night setting up my new TV unit then messing with my new toy!

I think there have been a couple of issues at the factory in Poland where they manufacture the TVs, I heard from a couple of people around the forums and elsewhere on the net that there have been a couple of strikes throughout the year.

My Polish manufactured 50PS7000 had a Korean (Gumi?) panel in it.

How are you finding it compared to the LG?

Well Ive not had the G10 long enough to draw a fair comparison really, but initial impressions are:

Colours are much better on the G10, but I think that may be down to the fact that I am watching SD Sky via RGB on the G10 and I wasnt able to on the LG due to a faulty scart socket.

Image retention has been none existent on the G10 so far (and Ive been looking for it) the IR on the LG really annoyed me, again though, I think I may have had an LG from a bad batch.

Screen reflection, you get hardly any reflection from the screen on the G10 which is great, if I viewed the LG in anything other than dark conditions I could see my reflection in the screen

Picture quality, the picture quality on the G10 seems a little softer than on the LG, the LG seemed a bit sharper, but, the LG had had time to run in, the G10 is only on day 2 at the moment, having said that, a softer picture is a bit more forgiving of poor SD sources.

Blacks, these seem to be better on the G10

Upscaled DVDs - I cant comment yet as Ive not viewed anything on the G10 yet.

Wii - again, Ive not played it on the G10 yet so cant compare.

I should be able to draw a better comparision when Ive had chance to run the G10 in and play with the settings etc, its easy to get carried away when something is new and just say 'its great' I'll let you know in a few weeks what its like to live with on a day to day basis.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom