1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New I Pod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by banyantree, Dec 9, 2004.

1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My girlfriend has just bought me a brand new 20GB I Pod for Christmas and I would like to know from any other I Pod user which earphones or headphones I should buy to achieve the best sound from them?

I travel mainly on the bus and on planes so I would prefer something that can drown the background sound out. I heard that the Sony MDR-NC11 and the
    Etymotic ER-6i are pretty decent.

Also what are the essential accessories I should get for the Ipod. I would eventially like to hook it upto my amplifier.

Any help much appreciated and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    If you like the in-eart experiaence I'd go for either the Sure E3c or E2c depending on how much you want to spend.

For connecting to an amp get a decent mini-jack to 2 phonos from either QED, Monster or Russ Andrews/Kimber for decent sound. You can also get a remote control unit that fits in the top of the iPod that comes witha circular remote. If you haven't got the docking station I would get that also!!

You then should be ready to rock :thumbsup:

Check out either

http://www.apple.com/uk/thestore

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk

for prices

3. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Kenny,

there appears to be a lot of debate about the Sure E3c and the etyopias?
    Are they really worth the extra cash? I dont mind spending if I can really hear something special.
    I was also looking at the sony ex81??

On another note : what is the recommended format for downloading cd's from your pc if you want to obtain the best quality audio? Do i use the apple lossless or the aac?
    I'm a complete novice when it comes to MP3 since i have been using a sony MD walkman but have got so ****** off with the sonicstage software that it was time for a change.

How is the weather in Glasgow? I'm coming back for Christmas and I haven't been home in over 2 years??

cheers

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Banyantree

I have the E2c's and they are fabulous! I haven't listened to the E3c's but they have had good reviews, as have the more expensive Etyopias.

Some people find the in-ears uncomfortable and hard to get the fit right, but after afew goes I was fine. I changed as I found the supplied Apple phones uncomfortable :p I use them when I am in airports but you have to keep a close watch on the screens in case you miss your flight, as you can't hear the announcements :laugh:

As for what format to record in it depends how much music you want to have on the iPod. If you aren't going to be putting 000's of tracks on it then go for Apple Lossless. If like me you have over 7500 songs on it then go for AAC.

With AAC through my TAG McLaren set-up it sounds fine, although not as good as CD/SACD/DVD-A. I mainly play it through the TAG when I'm working and want background music.

I'm in Livingston these days and today it's mild and cloudy with the Sun peaking through. You can take the boy out of Glasgow but you can't take Glasgow out of the boy :rotfl:

Enjoy your trip home

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Try the Bose Quiet Comfort 2. You can get them on 30 day's approval.
    )