Castle123

Novice Member
Hi All,

I am fairly new to the home theatre world but I am in the process of building our family home and would like to have a room with a home theatre. I already have a projector that I am happy with for now but will be upgrading once I buy a PS5 in the future, but I need help on the speakers/AV receiver/placement of speakers.

Ideally I would like a 5.1.2 system, with two in ceiling speakers based on Dolby's speaker placement guide. My rough budget is in the region of £3,000 to £4,500 but if slightly over or under then that is fine by me.

The use of the home theatre will be 70/30 for movies and gaming (PS4 and I think NVidia Shield Pro for streaming on the 120inch screen). I like the look of Denon receivers and B&W speakers but if there are better options out there I am happy to hear about them. Is there much difference between a AVC-X3700H and a ACV-X4700H? I also want to future proof the equipment so I don't need to upgrade in the next few years at least.

Below is the current layout of the room though can be subject to change, not sure the wife would like the sofa away from the wall though... There will be a rug and some sound absorption material where possible.

1613937680818.png

As the build is still ongoing I can add speakers anywhere currently and the cables can be hidden etc so I am fairly flexible to changes.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Harkon321

Looks straight forward enough. You might want to cable the sub to the rear as well, so you can try it in different locations or allow you to run a pair. You can get a huge variance in response from one location to another.

Castle123

Novice Member
Looks straight forward enough. You might want to cable the sub to the rear as well, so you can try it in different locations or allow you to run a pair. You can get a huge variance in response from one location to another.
Thank you for the input, so pre wire the rear for a sub as well? That is a good idea as might as well fit as many cables in now before the walls are sealed.

Harkon321

Yes, definitely, both sides. You might not use either, but if you don’t know where you’ll get good sub response it’s probably a good idea. Other option is Wi-Fi modules but I’ve never used them.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As you are installing a projector, do ensure that you are able to replace the cable with ease (i.e. not tacked down fixing it in place), HDMI cable do fail and if you cannot attach the new cable to the old cable and draw it through without it snagging, it will be a very expensive exercise to replace it.

Regarding the speaker cable, ensure you use a cable which has one side marked clearly showing which side is positive or negative (similar to this cable) on it plus label them (masking tape with either written or coloured as an identifier to each speaker (as a clue if colouring, simply follow the colours on the rear of the amp) which speaker cabling at each end so that when you do connect the cables to both the speakers and amp, your job of identifying which cable and polarity becomes so easy you don't even have to think about it

Don't forget the woofer cable to if you are burying the cables

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom