Brand New HF 10. Recored image quality very bad - Is it me?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Jay_N, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Jay_N

Jay_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    I have just purchased a new Canon HF 10 after reading a few reviews.
    I have set the camera up to FXP mode and tried CINE and normal mode, I have not switched on 24PF (or what ever is is).
    In the view finder all look OK, however, and this is the killer, when i copy the files over to my MAC or PC the images look, well, jaged and pixelated.

I have then gone on to use the fully registered version of Adobe Premier CS4 and the free ImageMixer3. Both display the same results, very pixelated. It is like watch a clip on your laptop that has been made full screen when it has been sized to 320x180 or whatever.

Has anyone else had this? Have a got a bad camera? Should I send it back and go back to tape?
    I have tried various project options on CS4 1080 25p, 1080 30 etc. It all looks the same - to be honest rubbish.

Has anyone with more skill than me able to explain and tell me i am a complete noob?

Thanks
    J

Edit: I have just plugged up the comp. lead and whilst I do not get the "blocky" artifacts it all looks very grainy, light seems to have a major factor - still not what I would call HD.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Take it you have played your cam direct in to your tv to see what the pq is like, if the picture is still poor you must have a faulty cam ,as long as your recordings were done correctly,on full auto should be a good test.

3. ramit

ramit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check on your TV (or quickly via a PS3).

The pixelating could simply be a codec issue on your PC.

I know that before I downloaded the right codecs etc onto my PC, my images where also looking very pixelated. Its may not be the camera, simply the software on your pc that decodes the images

4. Jay_N

Jay_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. I think I may have a faulty cam.
    Even the viewfinder is grainy. I look at all the other clips that have been posted and "real" clips of the LCD display look 1,000,000% clearer than my cam.

Even in really bright light.
    J