Brand new car scratched windscreen

tigermad

Picked up my new car on Thursday. I asked the dealers not to wash it because I am getting it ceramic coated next weekend and didn’t want them ruining the paintwork. Soon as the soon hit the windscreen at home we noticed some scratches on the windscreen. Like a screwdriver had slipped while someone was removing the stickers possibly. There are 2 main one ps and lots of lighter ones in the same area.

Went back to the dealers with it and they apologised and said they would get one fitted and someone will come out. Problem is it will be a non VW one and I have heard horror stories of the lane assist and light sensors not working properly after it’s fitted. So I demanded a VW one but it’s causing more trouble than it’s worth. They said I have to bring the car to them which will be a 100 mile round trip from where hubby works to drop it off. I asked if they will collect the car and fill up with petrol after. They seemed ok about it.

They can’t get a screen until the middle of the week and I am concerned it won’t arrive in time. I am having it detailed and a dash cam fitted at the weekend.

Should I just have the normal screen fitted to save all the hassle and take the risk? I feel a 2 day old car should not have inferior replacements that’s all. Also I don’t understand why if I want the VW one it has to be done at the dealers and the fitter can’t do it.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Also make sure if sensors are fitted (radar etc) that the fitter will be re calibrating these, where applicable after fitment.

tigermad

Thanks. Just checked with a screen fitting company and it has to be taken in to the window repair branch to recalibrate as thought so they can’t just do it there and then anyway. Will wait and see what the dealer comes back with tomorrow and will check what they say about the calibration.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
This boils down in my mind to essential and desirable needs.

Essential - new genuine parts fitted to a new car.

Desirable - dash cam, detailing and ceramic coating.

The detailing can be done later and any paint correction done at the time. Delay these and get the genuine screen fitted correctly.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
From what people have said it is clear that it cannot be done without going somewhere with the correct calibration.
Also, won't a none VW part void your warranty?

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Just checked with a screen fitting company and it has to be taken in to the window repair branch to recalibrate as thought so they can’t just do it there and then anyway. Will wait and see what the dealer comes back with tomorrow and will check what they say about the calibration.

Some do carry mobile calibration devices and might be good to give them a call and ask if this is possible and that the fitter is trained and up to date with procedure on this.

tigermad

From what people have said it is clear that it cannot be done without going somewhere with the correct calibration.
Also, won't a none VW part void your warranty?
No it’s shouldn’t do. People aren’t going to wait a week to get a VW screen in like me. They will just get it replaced under their insurance.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
No it’s shouldn’t do. People aren’t going to wait a week to get a VW screen in like me. They will just get it replaced under their insurance.

Picked up my new car on Thursday
Cannot work out why you would be happy for a non VW part to be fitted and if fitted would it be endorsed by VW themselves as I can see then winning an argument in the future if an issue arises from this non VW part being installed.

I would never go aftermarket (if that is what it is) on a new car.

tigermad

Cannot work out why you would be happy for a non VW part to be fitted and if fitted would it be endorsed by VW themselves as I can see then winning an argument in the future if an issue arises from this non VW part being installed.

I would never go aftermarket (if that is what it is) on a new car.
I’m not happy. That why I have told them I want a VW one. I was replying to a question.
If your car windscreen gets smashed in 6 months time how would you get a branded one through your insurance?

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I’m not happy. That why I have told them I want a VW one. I was replying to a question.
If your car windscreen gets smashed in 6 months time how would you get a branded one through your insurance?

I see :lesson:

Not entirely sure on the question tbh as we've always had oem glass fitted as the vehicles were not even registered when damaged.

ldoodle

Problem is it will be a non VW one and I have heard horror stories of the lane assist and light sensors not working properly after it’s fitted
Doesn't this trump everything else? Even this:

(I'd tell my insurance a branded one is required for other functions to work, especially when they're safety-related)

tigermad

So quick update. Dealer has ordered screen and will organise the fitter to come to the dealers. I have asked him to check the calibration will be done. Screen not due until Wednesday.