1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand and Size

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kdaines, Aug 19, 2005.

1. kdaines

kdaines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking for about 6 months to change my TV. Currently I have a 24" Philips which is a great TV but way to small for the room. I've read hundreds of reviews and simply can not decide. I am going to short list 4 TV's from Philips, Sony, Panasonic and Tosh (one from each, these seem to be the best) and then go looking with my favorite DVD to buy this weekend.

I was thinking of spending around 5-700 but will consider more if the spec is notably better.

32" or 36" is fine by me, but I am concerned about the foot print size on the 36"

What models would you all suggest I take a closer look at for each manufacturer, and why!!

I am bored to looking.... Its time to buy!!!!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Toshiba 36" 36ZP48P.

If your concerned about footrpint of a 36" model, this is the one to get, its the same size as many 32" CRTs I have seen with speaker surrounds on the edge of screens.

PAL PS Component input, 2 RGBs, S-Video-Composite. Wonderful piece of kit.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello kdaines and welcome. :)

Be aware that 36" CRT TV's are VERY heavy!

Good luck. :smashin:

4. kdaines

kdaines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heavy isn't as much of a concern, if its the right picture... its mine!!

I'll just get my mates round for beers to help!

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kd,

Great excitement choosing a new tv. I bought my 36" PW9618 sixteen months ago and have never regretted it. Not available now though. I have always been a fan of Philips as I've always had reliable sets, all a matter of luck nowadays.

Tight Git is right, the 36" size are monsters but no problem if you have plenty of friends (and beer!) to help.

At the time I considered the Toshiba (I think it was a different model then as it took me a year to make my mind up). In the October 05 issue of "What Video and Widescreen TV" in their Buyer's Guide of tvs, etc. they show a picture and description of the Toshiba 36ZP48P. "The third and best instalment of the Picture Frame series adds Toshiba's Active Vision processing to the mix with devastating (I think they mean brilliant by that) results. The minimalist looks are what first grab your attention but sound and pictures are also of the highest order. A stunning CRT set."

I am looking at the October 04 review in "W.V. & W. TV" of this set at the moment and they give it five stars out of five for picture and sound. If you want me to post you a copy of this review I could do so. You can e-mail me through the forum. It has Dolby Digital sound, built in subwoofer, composite video inputs, 3 scarts (2 RGB). S-video input and various stereo connections. Dimensions are 860w x 630h x 600d and weight 76 kg.
    (more beer after they've carried it!)

They mention that the best picture option is "Natural".

I think C.J. Cross's recommendation is an excellent one and the 36" size screen somehow draws you more into the picture, as if you're taking part in it. Friends, who have the space, but bought a 32" really regret now they didn't go for the 36". I view mine from about 11 feet away (my favourite corner of the sofa). I notice that
    http://www.prcdirect.co.uk have it for £800. Don't know what the other local stores charge. I bought my Philips online and it was easy, quick and without problems, that was through Hi-Spek. I chose them as they had two men delivering it.

Good luck with whatever you buy, and happy viewing!