Brand and/or Platform loyalty?

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, in todays digital world, does anyone still have brand or platform loyalty that they absolutely won't do without?

Sky? The BBC? Netflix?

I drop platforms for fun, dipping in and out as and when, but have always had a terrestrial TV license and Amazon Prime. The rest I can take or leave. And what do you think of the new platforms? With Paramount+ being the latest? Interested to know if in todays market theres any solid loyalty still out there?

I keep Sky because there’s still plenty on it that I watch.

I pay the tv license because I have to to watch Sky, would happily do without given the choice.

I keep Netflix because I’ve got a cheap deal via Sky. I’ve got Paramount because it’s free via Sky, otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

Prime for the deliveries.

Apple + because there’s still lots I want to watch on it.

Wouldn’t hesitate to stop any of them if the price went too high or I run out of things I want to watch on any of them.

Only pay the licence fee in full, won't ever stop, I suppose that's loyalty to the BBC. All other platforms only if free/massively reduced - so I've Disney+ as a freebie with O2 and NOW ent and cinema passes at £1/month each for a few months

There needs to be a new pricing model now the market is so fragmented.

No one wants to subscribe to a platform when shows they want to watch are spread across 10 different platforms.

There needs to be pay per show option, or an aggregater that monitors what you watch and distributes one subscription based on what you view.

The current system encourages piracy.

I've got Sky as there are still things I watch on there and I find it convenient to series link stuff.
Netflix is cheap through Sky
Amazon, my wife has prime on an NHS deal
Disney - I subscribed on a deal several months ago but haven't bothered to cancel as i'm working my way through the Star Wars films with my son. Will probably cancel that once i've watched them all as i've not watched anything else.

The only loyalty I have is to Sky due to it being the best service for what I want - gives me unrivalled on demand access to shows I want.

I don't watch live TV so don't have a TV licence.

Services I have are:

Sky

Prime as it's free with my Amazon delivery service I use daily.

Netflix - super cheap with my Sky package.

Disney+ - had it discounted on phone bill and haven't bothered to unsubscribe due to family using it.

Discovery+ - free with my Sky package but I'll cancel when the free period ends.

Britbox - probably the one service I use the most.

I've also had HBO, peacock, appletv+, paramount+ and a few other services but didn't really use so cancelled them.

Realistically I could do without everything apart from Sky and Britbox but my children would disagree 😂

Am loyal to Netflix... even though I go months without using it.
Because it's still cheap and they started it all.

Also now loyal to D+ and ATV as they have quite a lot I like. I doubt I will drop them.

Dropped Prime because too many shows are on their UK/US platform but not here (SA).

Dropped our satellite TV service as soon as the streamers came here.

Our terrestrial TV is garbage, never watch it

I'm all over Apple TV at the moment. It has a smaller library than other streamers but whats on there is quality. Not bad for £4.99 a month. :)

No loyalty at all. Not interested. I tend to keep Netflix because of the non US content but will drop that if I run out.

Netflix as I got a cheap deal (£4 pcm)and there's enough to keep me entertained.
Disney+ as I got another cheap deal.
Prime as it pays for itself over the year.

I don't have a TV licence and don't watch live TV.
I've no interest in sports and wouldn't pay what Sky want.

I've tried Now TV in the past, and currently have Amazon Prime (free with mobile phone contract).

The problem is that the things I want to watch are spread over too many streaming services, while at the same time, 99% of their content is of no interest to me.

There needs to be a major restructuring of streaming services to support a more a la carte option.

Last edited:
Why don't streaming services allow people that don't want to pay a monthly subscription, rent specific shows at a cost that's fair to both parties.

This way they still get something and it'll discourage piracy.

Why don't streaming services allow people that don't want to pay a monthly subscription, rent specific shows at a cost that's fair to both parties.

This way they still get something and it'll discourage piracy.
Yep, they could put them on iTunes, or the Play store or wherever, makes sense to me, but I suppose they see it as if they've got exclusive stuff people will sign up for their streaming service, find something else they like and keep the sub going.

I have Amazon Video because it comes with Prime. Not sure if I'd pay for it as a standalone service. I have free access to Netflix via my nephew but would pay for it. I also have NowTV. which if New Amsterdam series 4 doesn't show soon, will be cancelling again.

There are just too many other streaming options out there. The market is fragmented, but I might sign-up with AppleTV again at some point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom