1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brainwave, Samsung or Sony for Z2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pdgnews, Dec 1, 2003.

1. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

(cross posted from DVD player forum)

Just about to order a DVD player to go with my Sanyo Z2 projector... but have a few questions - perhaps someone can enlighten me...

I've narrowed down the list of possible players to the Brainwave 880, Samsung 935 (both offering 720p ouput via DVI) and the Sony 930PS (via component).

Can anyone here suggest which would be the best player to use with the Z2?

When viewing 4:3 material on a DVI DVD player, what will show on the screen? i.e. will I get a 4:3 image in the middle of the 16:9 panel? Ideally, I would like to see a 4:3 image in the middle of the screen with the option of zooming in if the 4:3 image is a letterbox (i.e. non anamorphic) DVD and the option of using the natural wide setting for 4:3 fullscreen (which stretches the images to fit the panel, but more at the edges than in the middle - this seems to work quite well for animated stuff)?

Will the answer to the above question be any different for component output on the sony player?

Will the scaling on the Samsung and Brainwave DVD players be better than the Z2? Or will Sony prog scan + Z2 scaling be just as good?

I notice that the Samsung uses DCDi - I wonder if this will be better at de-interlacing than the Brainwave and/or the Sony?

Finally, is DVI much better than component?

Currently i'm watching the Z2 via s-video from an old toshiba sd2109 dvd player and the picture is not good - lots of halos, fuzzy outlines, grainy... looks great on a 32" TV, but blown up to 7 feet across, it's not so good at all. And the image seems to be 8 bit - lots of quantisation on colour graduations... not good.... but still quite impressive. Can't wait to get a DVD player that will do the Z2 justice.

Cheers!

p.s. I'm very impressed with the Z2 - it's my first PJ. Can't see any vertical banding and the screen door is not a problem (i'm projecting an 8 foot image onto a painted wall and sit 12 feet from the screen). I just wish my walls weren't so light... damn rented accomodation! I thought the black level would bother me, but it doesn't... it's certainly as good as the black level at the showing of Master and Commander I saw at the local cinema this afternoon.

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I had the same decision to make. I enventually bought a Harman Kardon DVD25 and I'm well pleased.

I didnt go the DVI route in the end because I was wary of sound part of my system being adversely afffected using a low end player. Plus the whole DVI thing was starting to confuse me :blush:

HTH

Steve

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Z2 should be arriving on Friday. I came up with the same shortlist but for now I will drive it from my PC. I know something better is always around the corner, but early next year should see the first of the DVD players that can play WM9 format HD DVDs. I've downloaded a couple of demos in this format and it's quite impressive and should look very good with the Z2. Of course, by the time there is a reasonable selection of titles, it might be time for another upgrade anyway.

4. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I am waiting till next year as well when there will be a better choice of DVI enabled players and more info on their abilities at feeding the Z2. Using a Sony 730 in the meantime (which I reckon is v good for its price).