Brainwave DVI or Sony 930 component?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pdgnews, Dec 1, 2003.

1. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just about to order a DVD player to go with my Sanyo Z2 projector... but have a few questions - perhaps someone can enlighten me...

I've narrowed down the list of possible players to the Brainwave 880, Samsung 935 (both offering 720p ouput via DVI) and the Sony 930PS (via component).

Can anyone here suggest which would be the best player to use with the Z2?

When viewing 4:3 material on a DVI DVD player, what will show on the screen? i.e. will I get a 4:3 image in the middle of the 16:9 panel? Ideally, I would like to see a 4:3 image in the middle of the screen with the option of zooming in if the 4:3 image is a letterbox (i.e. non anamorphic) DVD and the option of using the natural wide setting for 4:3 fullscreen (which stretches the images to fit the panel, but more at the edges than in the middle - this seems to work quite well for animated stuff)?

Will the answer to the above question be any different for component output on the sony player?

Will the scaling on the Samsung and Brainwave DVD players be better than the Z2? Or will Sony prog scan + Z2 scaling be just as good?

I notice that the Samsung uses DCDi - I wonder if this will be better at de-interlacing than the Brainwave and/or the Sony?

Finally, is DVI much better than component?

Currently i'm watching the Z2 via s-video from an old toshiba sd2109 dvd player and the picture is not good - lots of halos, fuzzy outlines, grainy... looks great on a 32" TV, but blown up to 7 feet across, it's not so good at all. And the image seems to be 8 bit - lots of quantisation on colour graduations... not good.... but still quite impressive. Can't wait to get a DVD player that will do the Z2 justice.

Cheers!

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have no idea how these units work on the Z2.

But I have found a significant increase in quality using DVI over component with the two players you mention. I'm pretty sure DVI is the way you want to go especially as you'll get a 1:1 pixel mapping at 720p.

The Brainwave is a steal at it's current price, it also has good firmware support that is continually evolving. It does need importing and I've seen much better built cardboard boxes so there is a bit of a risk there...

The Samsung is better built and also has stunning results on my PJ with the same resolution as the Z2. It costs more (about £166), has a better build, but lacks the flexibility and support of the V880.

I have the Samsung, My PJ didn't like the V880 I had (although others with the same PJ have been fine) and I didn't want to risk a second one as they cost more then. My only real issue with the Samsung is the annoying bright blue lights, even in standby.

Chrisl has the 935 too and should have a Z2 any day so wait for his comments, if you can!

Cheers
    Marc

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You should probably post this in the projector forum, I imagine it is a subject close to the hearts of many forum members.

There is lots of Z2 talk there, which is only going to grow and grow the next few days as plenty are going to start arriving on people's doorsteps this week....

Cheers
    Marc

4. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I didn't expect replies so soon! Thanks... Is your Samsung multi-region? Where did you buy it?

Cheers!

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    There is a handset hack to multi region a 935. I'll see if I can find it, it's on here somewhere.

I got it from http://www.digiuk.com/samsung/

£176 delivered. I think there is a place that sells it about £10 cheaper. Panther?

However Digi UK are superb if anything goes wrong. They will pick up and replace They are doing that with my 935 tomorrow, they have just got stock back in. Samsung have been out of stock.

Cheers
    Marc

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Samsung 935 MR hack:

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Press PLAY and STOP on the player. Keep the two buttons pressed until the language selection is displayed, then release them.
    3. Select language.
    4. Press REPEAT.
    5. Enter 57538. The region code will be displayed.
    6. Press 9.
    7. Press OPEN.
    8. Press STANDBY.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process but in step 5 press 38767

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Mods, can I suggest moving and combining this thread with the one in the LCD projector forum...

8. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Find the thread Momitsu/Brainwave and Samsung in this forum.

Lots of comment on there.

I don't have much R2 stuff, but to be honest I've not noticed any judder on PAL stuff.

Drop kl25rc (?) a PM who has commented on that thread as he has had a Sony, Samsung and V880.

Cheers
    Marc