braindead uk release?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by rob_w, Jul 4, 2002.

1. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought braindead on region 1 (unrated) as it was the only copy i could find on dvd........

just discovered........yep! 3 mins of cuts compared to the uk version:eek:

dvd compare/rewind have got it as released on budget, 3rd june..

no-one lists it as available - anyone know about this (pretty sure pooch jd will.......)

cheers for any help

rob

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    There's nothing available and nobody has any plans at the moment even with the LOTR Peter Jackson tie-in.
    The only Brain Dead (rather than "Braindead") out in the UK on DVD at the moment is the Bill Pullman/Bill Paxton one directed by Adam Simon, which could possibly be the one mistakenly listed on that site as it was released around April/May/June if I remember right.

3. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, thats just typical! - looks like i`ll have to wait a bit longer for one of my favorite beer `n` pizza movies

rob

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the plug, in your original post above. ;) Sadly, this brilliant splatter flick is not available uncut on DVD. You can still get the film uncut on video, for about £4-99 from any half-decent video store, if that helps.

However, if you can, keep an eye on FilmFour and FilmFour Extreme, as the film has turned up there on many occasions, both totally uncut (like the UK video) and in a pretty impressive 1.77:1 widescreen print as well.

Hope that info, cheers you up a little, until someone releases this classic. Shame a company like Anchor Bay don't do it on a double-bill with "Body Melt" starring Ian Smith - the guy who plays/played Harold in "Neighbours"! Now that would be a wonderfully sick and twisted DVD double-bill! :D

Pooch

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the info, pooch

body melt sounds fantastic:D

got to say the first time i saw braindead absolutely blew me away........the vicar was superb! - had it on video from way back, but copied over it when i ordered the dvd:( just my luck not to check! - unfotunately i cant have sattelite where i live due to listed building (its only a flat btw....)so i`ll have to get my mates to find that one

cheers

rob

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Not strictly true as it's been released twice on disc in Germany, uncut.

7. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    There are two films of the same(ish) name: There's "Brain Dead" and "Braindead", identified by one of them having the title as two words and the other having it as one word. I don't know which one is the Peter Jackson splatterfest. The Bill Pulman film (available in UK) is of no interest to me - I believe it's a kinda medical science horror.

The Peter Jackson film was released in UK uncut in cinema and video, and the DVD (whenever that gets released in UK) is sure to be uncut too. In the USA, this film was released as "Dead/Alive" but beware there are two versions, an R-rated and unrated (the uncut version equivalent to what was released in UK). The R-rated version I believe is cut by 15 mins! So make sure it's the unrated version if importing from USA.

When eventually released on DVD in UK, I hope they don't cock-up and record from the R-rated master. Remember with the initial Predator UK DVD, where even though the cinema and VHS release were uncut, they produced the initial DVD release (non-special edition) from a censored master, so the DVD was a cut version.

8. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the unrated dead alive is 3mins shorter than the uk version!

i`ve got it....

rob

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure Braindead was on BBC2 last Christmas! Best massacre by lawnmower scheme ever filmed!!

10. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    > the unrated dead alive is 3mins shorter than the uk version!

What's missing in the Region-1 unrated version? 3 mins missing doesn't make it the uncut version. :(

11. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its been a while since i watched the uk version(about 2years), so unless someone wants to post me a copy to compare against the re.1 unrated then i couldn`t tell you of the top of my head.(it`d give me an excuse to get the pizza n beers in):D

running time should be 100 mins for uncut region 1 - on my re.1 its 97mins.

cheers
    rob

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
  13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Seems it's coming in September to R2, it's never been cut here anyway, and its only £8.99 @ www.play.com.
    Nice price. We'll be getting a UK release for Bad Taste aswell at the same price.

14. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other films like this one that anybody can recommend? I've seen Evil Dead 2 which a friend said was brilliant but I really didn't think it compared in humour, gore, effects, or just darn cheesyness.

P.S. I would recommend Dog Soldiers, loved that film. I've yet to see the other werewolf films, the Howling, American Werewolf in London.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    american werewolf is an absolute classic... never really liked the howling though.

16. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Braindead only £7.99 delivered from SplashDVD.

Braindead

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Premutos, Lord of the Undead.
    Out on R1 in the next few weeks. Bloody as hell

18. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Premutos is now firmly on my hit-list. As I was looking up details for it on the net I came across other seriously weird spit, namely Violent S**t 1 -> 3 and numerous films by Jörg Buttgereit. If anybody can let me know how these compare to Braindead I'd love to hear.

Ta...

19. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I don't know the status of Jörg Buttgereit these days. Last I heard, his film company got closed down after Warner Bros sued him for using a logo similar to theirs. Can someone tell me if he's back in business now? His films aren't as bloody as Braindead, but their subject matter is SICK!

What's happening to Peter Jackson's "Meet The Feebles"? Will that be out on DVD?

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    I believe Anchor Bay (US) have Meet The Feebles on their release scedule for early next year as an SE. It's already available in the UK on an awful disc that's best avoided though.

Jorg Buttgereit makes serious films, often concerning things like necrophilia. Nekromatik, Nekromantik 2, and Schramm spring to mind. He's still around and makes the odd appearance at film festivals. Barrel, in the US have some very good SE's out of his films but I don't think it's quite what you're looking for, as the laughs don't exactly come thick and fast.

Andreas Schnaas did the Violent S**t movies. He's one of those backyard auteurs that make gore movies on a shoesrtring budget. Some of his movies are starting to filter through onto R1 disc now, VS 3's coming out as Zombie Doom from Ventura in the US, but his stuff's pretty cheap and cheerful. He also made Zombie 90: Extreme Pestilence. None of his stuff's actually very good as he gets his friends to play all the roles, nobody's a professional in a Schnass flick. Having said that, there's an uncut (surprisingly) almost professional movie coming on R2, that he shot on 35mm :eek: . It's been retitled Demonium over here I think. He's not the greatest of directors though. Might be worth a rent if you've 90 minutes to kill.

Edit:
    Funnily enough, Olaf Ittenbach (spelling??) director of Premutos and Legion of The Dead and Jorg Buttgereit and supposed to be co-directing an off the wall gore flick called Barcelona Babylon about a robbery that goes wrong (where have I seen that before?;) ) that'll for some bizarre reason star Andreas Schnaas. I think it's either in production or about to go into production soon. According to one of my contacts, anyway. So old Jorg has finally wriggled out from under the jackboot Warners tried to crush him with.

21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    My copy of Braindead appeared here at work today.
    It doesn't actually look too promising if the sleeve's to be believed, especially bearing in mind Universal UK have a widescreen vhs in surround sound available for £4.99....

the sleeve says "4:3 fullscreen" and "mono".
    Now, a fullscreen unmatted transfer I can cope with, but if it's P+S I'll be peeved. As for the sound - the original soundmix was surround, the soundmix on the tape was surround. Why put mono on the DVD? :confused:
    I don't have much faith in Universal UK's packaging being 100% accurate anyway, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get home.

Another thing, same distributor released Jean Claude Van Damme's The Quest today. According to the sleeve of that one it's a flat stereo mix (no surround), but this time has an anamorphic transfer. Alledgedly. What are they playing at? This one's JCVD's Citizen Kane!!! At least they've seen fit at the BBFC to let it through uncut this time.

Universal UK need a kick in the arse.

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    Braindead was actually non-anamorphic 1.66:1 widescreen and surround audio (same as the vid). Looks a bit washed out and grainy in places (same as the vid) but it's about the best you could hope for. It's certainly no worse than its more expensive foreign equivilents, and it does look better than tape.

The Quest turned out to have a pretty active surround track and a nice clean anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer. Nice.

Universal UK need to shoot whoever provides the specs to the guy that sets the sleeves up. Nearly every cover I've seen of theirs has had the wrong specs on it.

23. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody know if Anchor bay are planning on releasing a special edition of this like they did of Bad Taste?

24. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    No plans at the moment as Trimark (I think) have the US rights to it.

25. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rambo the best thing you can do is email and tell them.:) You never know they might do something about it in the future.:)

26. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    :p
    That's assuming I want to buy another version of it. Too much other stuff to buy at the moment and for a looooooong time to come, I reckon. My UK disc will do me for now.
    Besides, Anchor Bay would probably give it "Oh no, not him again" if I emailed them.

27. mcmlx1

mcmlx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been reading these threads with interest...anybody bought the r2 version yet ?.....would like to know ..cut or uncut?

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835
    The R2's the original long version, rather than Peter Jackson's shorter Directors cut (often mistakenly referred to as "the cut version")
    So it's complete. Technically the shorter version isn't "cut" as such as it's the version that Jackson prefers, although he only reduced the running time and tightened it up after it had been in circulation for a while and he'd had chance to guage how well it played to an audience.

29. mcmlx1

mcmlx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Rambo John..so i'll keep my r1 "rated" Dead Alive then..you just saved me another tenner...as usual you're a mine of information..keep it up man !!!!

30. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,835