Brain-picking dumb-ass newbie arrives...

Clippy

... in need of some answers/advice.
Bought me one of those 50' Sagem's from Comet (the demo was hard to resist), I've had it a month and I am very pleased with it (most of the time). Sky looks OK running through a scart but some channels are a little poor (I have read some channels use different amounts of data/bandwidth) but I can live with that. My poor old DVD/VCR combi is looking rather dated now and I have a dilema, it was only cheap (it's a Daewoo, again running through a scart). This looked fine on my old Sony 29' 4:3 but not any more. Things seem to have moved on significantly and the range of inputs is daunting. I guess I want a good picture and the ability to play some HDTV material (it's the only way to persuade our-lass that the purchase was worthy). Keep reading about these media-centre PC's and it sounds like the best bet. Do DVD's look good when played through these or am I kidding myself (would use the HDI input). Can these boxes upscale images succesfully and is it possible to implement AA/AF on the fly, again to improve picture quality. Am I better of buying a decent DVD player and going in via progressive-scan (what is this by the way) I don't fancy the sound of interlacing as it used to give me a headache on my Amiga, although that was a few years ago. Sorry for the basic nature of these questions, I have read through a lot of the forums here but all seem to assume a decent knowledge of the subject, which I don't have. I would be grateful for any pointers on this subject and must apologise for the long-drawn out first post.
Over to you guys :thumbsup:

St_ve

Standard Member
Hi i'm using a PC as a DVDplayer monitor ect at the moment & it's superb.
Before making any decisions why don't you connect up to your Sagem 50 & give it a try
you should get a very good picture through VGA & even better through the DVI.
just make sure u have the latest graphic card drivers & select 1280 by 720 before u connect to the tv. In the Sagems menu there should be an option under Data to change from HD to PC(might be different as i have a Optoma RD50 so read your manual)On my set & prob yours if u use a DVI input you will not see the Bios posting first thing u see is Windows launching.
By the way if you want see the latest more topical threads first go to the top of the page & click on your forum settings this will take you to your control panel for this forum, click on edit options & change to hybrid in display modes.
For more info on using a PC i sugest u check out the couple of threads i started also
DlP tvs and HTPC started by Razor
To see the sort of quality you can expect by connecting a PC go to Show us yours
& check out the screengrabs i've posted.
And if you want to see a very good broadcast picture watch wildlife on one. :)

Clippy

Thanks for the quick responce St ve. Can I just ask what software you run your DVD's through. It seems there are a few player/codec options to get the most from the picture. You are right about BBC/wildlife shows, quite spectacular. Sky movies are good too. My PC is showing it's age and won't run the HDTV stuff from the Microsoft site. I guess I just wanted to know if a decent DVD player could output better quality than a dedicated PC. Had a look at a PC running Windows Media Centre this weekend and was most impressed. From all the screenshots I've seen I got the idea into my head it was just an interface but it's based on XP Pro and you can drop down into normal windows anytime (couldn't figure out how I was gunna play my MAME (arcade) collection as it's DOS based), problem solved, so I won't take much convincing now. Hehe. Our-lass will be pleased (Not). :smashin:

St_ve

Standard Member
You only need a more powerfull PC for the HiDef stuff
I have used my Pal Joey's Pentium 3 850Mz celeron 256MB ram with Windows millenium & a Nvidia TNT card with 32MB ram through the VGA connection & got a very good picture . I find WinDVD6 to give the best picture i had a problem with codecs or something that made it hard to tell between that & Powerdv6 but now it's fixed winDVD is better.The picture is so far ahead of my old DVD player it's uncanny(don't know how it compares with a top player like an Arcam 79) Its the best picture i've ever seen.I'll be building a Home Theatre PC in a couple of month's i would like to use Windows Media Centre on it but i won't be able to afford it,it has had some good reviews.If you find out which is best as a DVD player, PC or something like a Denon3910 ect let us know.
As far as i'm aware if Mame works on Windows Xp you should be all right. :)

The DLPset should upscale the picture for you with a seperate DVD player
with a PC software DVD player i'd guess it's the PC

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom