brackets or dodgy stands?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by huwg, Jul 14, 2004.

1. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I'm having difficulties working out the best position for my speakers (just moved house).

the kit :-
    Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature
    Audiolab 8000S
    Monitor Audio B2's
    Sony Tuner
    Sony tape deck
    Denon DVD900
    Sony KV28FX68 TV
    Thompson Freview box
    Panasonic VCR

All the sources are plugged into the 8000S, as you see stereo only, no surround (yet)

the TV is in the only suitable corner and all the kit is housed in the TV cabinet (thanks to IKEA :thumbsup: for the corner unit).

Due to the close proximity of a fire place on one adjacent wall and a large window with low sill on the other, conventional speaker stands don't fit (unless I want everybody in the street to see my nice speakers :nono: )

The speakers are currently sitting on small angled stands each side of the TV (one just under the window sill) firing diagonally across the room. There is no sweet spot, so no real stereo image. I know this is bad, but in the short term it was all I could do with limited speaker cable.

The only other option I see is wall mounting them either side of the window, above the level of the TV. They would be 1' in from the side walls and the curtains would hide the wires. The tops of the speakers would be approx 6 feet from the floor.

This would provide some opportunity of a stereo image, but the TV would be off centre - ie below the left speaker (not a major issue)

I love the amp, CD and MA's but I know I'm hearing nowhere near the best from them.

Any thoughts on a child friendly solution/compromise?

I can provide a crude diagram if necessary.

also, I wouldn't mind recommendations on cheapish thin bi-wire cable, once I've decided what I'm doing.

Cheers

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The basic question is 'what are your views on using wall brackets for main stereo speakers ?'

I know they are not ideal, but are they to be avoided at all costs ?

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I have all of my speakers on wall brackets (except the centre and subs).
    The front two are on absolutely brilliant Target brackets - these things are so solid you can sit on them! Unfortunately, I believe Target are no more. The front two are much higher than they would be on stands, but this is to put them alongside my projector screen.
    The rears are on Quadraspire QS wall brackets. Check these out on their website - they are still pretty substantial, and look nice - trouble is, I don't know whether they will be suitable for you as I don't know the footprint of your speakers. I would have absolutely no qualms at all about using them for my front pair.
    In general, my opinion (for what it's worth!) is that there is almost as much guff talked in the press about stands as there is about cables. The main problem in wall brackets would be the speaker being too close to the wall - this might be a problem with rear ported designs I guess.
    Otherwise, I can see no logical reason why a well made solid shelf thingy firmly bolted to an outside wall will not suffice. I suppose that people could argue that your solution would put the speakers too high, but you can always replace the sofa with bar stools when playing music.
    Phil

(ps don't tell the superbly imformative What Hi Fi my views)

4. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Cheers Phil,
    The MA B2's are front ported and a compact design, so I guess they would operate ok with brackets (anyone from MA please feel free to confirm or tell me otherwise)

How are the speakers secured to the brackets? do I have to put screws into the bottom of the cabinets?

Also, how far from the side walls are your front speakers? mine would only be 1 foot away.

Cheers

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    Hi

If you want to pm me your details I can email you a couple of piccies of my set up/brackets if you like.
    The Quadraspires come with 'spikes'. Actually, these are more like rounded silver screws which don't damage the base of the speaker, and actually look quite nice! They also have a choice of two base plates, depending on the size of your speaker. Think they are about £85 or so for the pair. This is not cheap for what they are, but I did actually spend a fair bit of time looking for solutions to this problem, and they were the best I could find.
    My fronts are just blutacked to the brackets, as I lost the spikes ages ago.
    I reckon my fronts are closer to the side walls than 1 foot, so you should have no problems!
    Phil

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I've just checked the size of your speakers - looks like they are 10 in deep and 7 1/4 in wide. This may be too big for the 'large' Quadraspire bracket, which is 7 in square.
    It's a real pity the Targets are not made any more, as they would be ideal