• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bracket fixing Help.

shaky1105

Standard Member
Hi peeps. I wonder if any of you guys could help me please ? I'm currently doing some major refurbs in the house and I am going to be reinstalling a stud wall that I intend to fit a large ( 50" plus ) lcd or plasma tv to. The thing is, I cant seem to find the fixing dimensions for the bracket to wall fitting. I need these so i can decide what spacing to double up on the vertical studs and horizontal noggins to beef up the wall at the fixing points.

If I've understood it correctly, the brackets themselves are set up so that they will fit any vesa standard tv but I cant be certain if the bracket to wall fixings have the same amount of adjustability.

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

TIA - Shaky

windie

Established Member
It will depend on the bracket you purchase.

Mine had 16 oblong holes about 1" long and 1/4" apart along the top and bottom of the part of the bracket which was bolted to the wall.

I have fitted various brackets and they are all different.

I would buy a bracket suitable for your TV and then build the extra strengthening parts of the wall you require.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
With 50" screens just forget the vesa, get a quality bracket now that supports large screens so you then have a template to work to. Most mounts are a large peice of metal that bolts/screws to a wall and two vertical brackets then bolt to the large screen and finally hook onto the wall bracket.

windie

Established Member
Mine is very similar although I can't remember the make at the moment.

It also has a two inch metal strip down the centre of the cutout in the middle making two holes instead of the one in your picture, still left room for various sockets

Magslad

Established Member
I agree with the previous comments Shaky, have just gone through this process (albeit that I already had my plasma) - get a decent universal bracket and get the stud wall built around the fixing points for it. I got mine from m-form online for what it's worth (they post in the plasma brackets part of the forum a fair bit), then just gave it to the builders so they could position studs/noggins where the fixing points are on the bracket.

shaky1105

Standard Member
Thanks guys, it was the vesa bit that I was concerned about but it looks like the best way forward is to buy a universal kit so at least I can set the studs out beforehand. I was thinking of THIS one would fit my needs perfectly, what do you guys think ?

Just saw your reply magslad - oops !!!

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Be careful although the mount you are looking at allows you to tilt the screen it does stick off the wall by 8cm which may not sound a lot but is huge. The one I pointed to only sticks of the wall 2.4cm which is a big difference.

Magslad

Established Member
Shaky, the bracket you linked to looks fine if you definitely need a tilting one - but as Andy says the trade-off is how far it sticks out (which stands to reason - it has to allow the plasma to tilt up/down). If you don't need it to tilt get a universal flush mount which should stick out no more than 25-35mm, if you need a tilting one then you can get ones which stick out no more than 60-70 mm.

Da_Rude_Baboon

Established Member
My joiner fitted a piece of the tongue and groove chipboard flooring stuff to the framing where our LCD and vertical radiator would go in the kitchen. He set back the noggins so the board would sit flush with the posts and plaster boarded over the top. It was an excellent solution as it gives a rock solid surface to fix too and some flexibility with positioning and bracket choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom