1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bracing in a sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by slingshot, Apr 10, 2003.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm now on my 3rd DIY sub, and I originally based my sub on the 80L plans on the adire site. They add bracing that uses a sheet of MDF with a load of 4" holes, however my next one I'm wondering why I can't just brace with a few well placed batons.

Basically do the holes make any difference to the sound i.e. are the designed to alter the air flow, I can't see it somehow, but it would be impossible to redo the braces once I've done them.

Cheers

Slingshot

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The braces are there purely to stiffen the cabinet side walls, to prevent (or rather reduce the effect of) them humming along with the driver signal and spoiling the sound.

The holes serves no purpose other than to prevent the box being divided - that design of brace probably gives the highest strength/size ratio, that's all! Unless they were tiny and few, the holes have no effect on the sound..
    Don't forget that the bracing takes up space, so reducing the cabinet volume.
    Also, that type of brace makes stuffing the box a bit easier too - it keeps the stuffing away from the driver.