BR-Robocop review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by rover2002, Aug 5, 2006.

1. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The BR early adopters really do seem to be getting the shaft with these movies:rolleyes:

High Def Digest:http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/robocop.html

"Some might say that I'm being a bit too hard on 'RoboCop.' After all, it is nearly a twenty year-old film, right? However, I was watching HDNet Movies the other night, and a new remaster of '2001: A Space Odyssey' was on. Now, that's a film that is twice as old as 'RoboCop,' but it looked absolutely spectacular -- seriously drop-dead gorgeous. Okay, fair enough, 'RoboCop' isn't '2001.' But age really should not be a deterrent when it comes to creating a great high-def transfer. It just doesn't seem as if much effort was put into restoring the source materials for 'RoboCop,' and even a next-gen format like Blu-ray can't turn **** into gold."

Wake up sony !

2. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty scathing, isn't it, and clearly not the best transfer. Comparing it to 2001: A Space Odyssey perhaps isn't fair because 2001 was shot on 65mm film (Super Panavision 70 to be precise) rather than 35mm.

3. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Definately a shame.

Robocop is a great film and a personal fave. Sounds like it would really benifit from a propper digital restoration job.

Perhaps they are saving that one for the double dip edition.

Just right for the 20th aniversery in 2007. :)

4. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I think you might want to read your own paragraph again. Did Sony compile the disk and do its transfer? No, it was MGM Home Entertainment. They are the ones to blame.

How absolutely typical of the majority of posters in this part of the forum. :thumbsdow

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    So someone else has an encoder other than Sony for BD atm? :devil:

6. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Don't Sony own MGM? That review refers to Sony 6 times in total, 2 of those 6 say Sony/MGM.

Isn't it also the general opinion that Sony are the main reason for the ammount of mpeg 2 releases rather than VC-1?

7. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Sony may own MGM, but they didnt do the transfer work (or any other work on that title) did they?

Any movie reviews are irrelevent until BD50 is used as the norm. THEN make a judgement. It'll be an entirely different ballgame then.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    With Sony still doing all the encoding?

9. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

Thats what i dont understand judging by a lot of these posts, basically what your saying is put up with the sub standard single layer blu-ray and wait until dual layer discs are available.

But Blu-ray movies are available now and are hardly a good indication of the format so far, where as HD-DVD seems to be getting thumbs up by releasing good quality transfers.

If sony want Blu-Ray to be the defacto standard why aren't they enforcing the need to the studios to make the best transfers that they can.

Honestly do you think people will rebuy discs they have already to a sub standard transfer for blu-ray simply because its hi-def and then to replace that yet again when Dl discs are available with a better codec/transfer

Time will tell i guess,

10. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If i worked for sony i'd have to say i agree, there is no way i would want people reviewing this crap!

So your saying BR users should wait for potential? :D

11. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Of course they arn't irrelevent. If you want to watch any of the blu-ray movies released so far you will want to know what the picture quality is like. When a Blu-ray 50 disc is released it won't suddenly improve all the rubbish quality they have released so far.

If they wern't able to release a decent quality product then they should have waited untill they could. People that listen to the misleading hype from the likes of Fox and Sony and buy the current rubbish will be wasting their money.

Sony have said as well that the Blu-ray 50 discs that are coming shortly will only be availible in small quanties so it could be a while untill we see the majority of movies from blu-ray in an acceptable format.

12. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    When normal DVDs came out, they were single layer with flippers. This isnt new...

Thats because HD-DVD is more closely related to current DVD technology, and that theyve been able to get much higher yields of duel layer HD-DVD discs.. two layers = bigger capacity = better quality transfers.

Perhaps they are doing the best they can with 5gb less overall capacity than HD-DVD?

Perhaps, maybe. How many of us early adoptors have bought 1st gen DVD movies only to buy a superbit DVD version of the same disc later on?

Indeed. But this whole format war will change once Sony get good yields of BR50.

13. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    DVD wasn't competeing with another format that was already doing everything right and offering better quality than DVD and at a decent price though was it?. We don't need to accept shody quality for the first 6 months+ at launch so why should we?

14. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    So dont buy a player at launch? Youre not forced to accept anything, its your right as a consumer. Do Sony have a gun against your head?

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    :rotfl: What's typical? Users not giving a sub-standard format a break? Sorry we aren't all fanboys who support a format solely on the basis os reading how much better it may be one day. And whether it's an MGM release or not is somewhat irrelevant: Sony control BluRay. They provide the encoders, they provide the authoring facilities, they control production of the discs, they are responsible for the lack of BD50s and they control MGM. The original poster was quite correct.

Rubbish! The releases that are appearing now will form the backbone of BluRay's back catalogue for years to come. Even if those titles aren't enough to make people want to buy BluRay they are ones that people will consider getting once they get the format. And at the moment they are all rubbish!

Indeed. But then there wasn't another format that was showing just how good things can be in the first generation. I'm sure BD would look good if there wasn't something significantly better next to it.

16. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    my SD version looks very good upscaled to 1080i, surprised they could'n t do a better job with it :confused:

and you have to have the DC version, the rated release is not bloody enough :D

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    If you checkout this poll you'll find not many are going to buy a BD player at launch. That doesn't mean we are not interested in the format and hopefully we'll continue to discuss it's weaknesses and strengths on the forum so we can decide if to adopt the format. If this upsets some BD fanboys when poor BluRay discs are savaged on the forums then so be it. I hope any poor HD DVD are equally rebuked.

18. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Of course not and I won't. You were the one who got all mardy when someone criticised Sony on this thread. It was a perfectly reasonable discussion about another sub standard release until you did that.

We are right to critasise and let companies know we won't accept a format in this way. Once Blu-ray get the picture quality to the same level as HD-DVD, get the same ammount or more titles at this quality and do it at the same price or less than HD-DVD then the praise will come.

19. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Rasczak, as much as Id like to see some balenced discussion I dont think we will find it here!

20. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I dont think it was reasonable at all to blame Sony on something one of their companies (MGM, who had little to do with the actual BR technology, concept, design and implementation) didnt do a good job with a movie transfer.

This thread is another fine example of most of the threads on this forum of blind Sony bashing just because their name was mentioned. :suicide:

21. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If BR users don't become more vocal in forums about the shoddy state of the BR movies, what message do you think that sends Sony? I don't even own a BR player and still find it totally disgusting!
    Will.

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    I disagree. The discussion isn't even at the moment because the formats aren't balance. On the one hand you have HD DVD producing excellent PQ, at half the price, with excellent hardware and a decent range of titles. On the other you have BluRay with dodgy PQ, dropped soundtracks, cropped pictures, faulty hardware that's twice the price and alot of unsupported hype. Is it any wonder one format gets abit of a savaging?

If BluRay comes good if/when they adopt BD50 or VC1 and when more hardware arrives the discussion will become more balanced. Until then I would suggest the "unbalanced" discussion is merely a reflection of reality ergo making it balanced!

23. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    What is unbalanced about praising the format that is performing well and criticising the format that is performing poorly?

If Blu-ray fix all the problems, get lots of titles out in high quality, release a player that is as good as the Toshiba at a similar price and people continue to criticise then your point will be fair. I’m confident though that the majority of us are being fair and if blu-ray becomes the better format we will support it.

24. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Just how many people on this forum have used BluRay?

I bet the ratio between those that have and those that have bashed it (and havent used it) is very, very small.

25. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No, you should run along and stick your head back in the sand:hiya:

26. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    But people arent being fair. Theyre just cussing Sony because of the sake of it. Give the BR format time and then we'll see which is better when both are using their fullest potential.

Both these formats have a roadmap lasting at least a decade. If the movie and other backing companies saw the decision to back either format as short term as those posting here then everyone would be backing HD-DVD wouldnt they?

Edit: added the last paragraph.

27. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Oh, very nice. Couldnt think of anything constructive to post eh? :rolleyes:

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    I have. I was employed in the US between April and July and was fortunate enough to just catch the release of HD DVD and BluRay hardware. My local Circuit City had both on demo which gave me a decent hands on with both. I think there are quite a few in the same boat: most CC and BB in the US are now offering instore demos of the formats and I know a few forum members have been over their with large suitcases :D

Admittedly on a title by title basis there is less of a hands on. We have to rely on reviews but if these are all universally confirming what we have seen on other discs with our own eyes then they carry alot of credibility. Even more so when they use the same equipment for disc reviews from both formats meaning you can tie in with the discs we have seen.

Ultimately though I don't think even the die hard BluRay supporters admit there aren't serious issues with the format at present...

29. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Of course there are issues, but theres nothing that cant (and wont) be fixed given the huge investment (and potential revenue) the BR format may give its backers.

30. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think you might actully want to click the link and read the whole review.Then you will see whos 'Paragraph' it is.:hiya: