• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BR players with analogue out and bass management

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Can anyone add tot he following list :

Denon 3800
Denon A1UD
Marantz UD9004 (I think), possibly the 8004 ?

I don't think the Sony does ? I believe the new Arcam will

Roger Thornhill

Bdp-lx91?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Yes, Marantz 8004 and its sister product the Denon 4010UD.

Most seem to suffer from fixed crossovers, and/or no distance settings. It's odd given how many players that are out there with analogue outputs that so few have proper bass management/time alignment.

I guess that should tell us something about the perceived quality.

If it wasn't for D&M holdings, the picture would look quite grim.

I am semi-surprised that Oppo haven't upgraded theirs to co-incide with the release of the SE. Unless you happen to like an 80Hz crossover, it leaves you with little flexibility on the one thing the upgrade is for.

Maybe it's the base chipsets that are the problem and they don't have the MIPS to perform full DTS decoding and full DSP duties still.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
tbh unless you don't need bass mangement (rare for most but some of us are lucky here) or that what bass management there is happens to 'fit' with your speakers (not often tbh) then I prefer to avoid analogue outs. However when done correctly it can been sublime on quality analogue stages. Well Done Denon.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I need to crossover above 60Hz. And from my experience the 3800 analogue out is better than any HDMI processor solution I have heard :suicide:

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
What about the Pioneer bdp-LX71 does is it not have bass management also?

I didn't think the Pioneer's had crossover adjustment for the bass. All at 80hz ?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
The Pioneer's (51FD, LX71 and LX08) post firmware 1.32 do have adjustable crossovers. 40Hz to 120Hz. However there are no speaker distance settings, or lipsync control. Also, I find when I use small speaker settings that the sound seems to be robbed of dynamics.

So whilst they have slightly more adjustability than most, you would definitely need to audition and I really doubt it would come anywhere close to a 3800. Could be arranged though if you were curious. ;)

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
The Denon adjust bass by 20HZ steps, I would like smaller but lievable. Distances are in .3m steps from memory, so could be more accurate, not sure if this accuracy is required however. The small/large settings appear to work well and I did not notice any difference fromthe AV8 with the impact and effect.

ther is no lipsync, but I have only once had the need. Funnily enough the AVR600 neaded this the other evening, perhaps HDMI adds to the problems here.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom