Question BR player than can convert to multi-channel LPCM

mackie1

Established Member
Reaction score
For a long time I've been using an original PS3 to play Blurays. It's hooked up to a Sony HT-SS1300 slimline receiver which does not decode DTS-MA or TrueHD but does support multi channel LPCM. The PS3 recoginises this and does the decoding accordingly.
I want to switch to a dedicate player (that's quiet!) that can do the same thing but it looks like even the BDP-S7200 doesn't do this! That's 7 years of progress for you! Are they any other options for the same money or less that do?
The other option is maybe to get an HT-XT3 (which does handle those audio formats) to replace the 5.1 system but I'm not sure if that's a step back or not. I like the HT-XT1 I have in another room.

What makes you think the S7200 can't do that? I've never come across a player that was only designed to bitstream HD Audio. All modern players including 30 quid models can decode to PCM.

For a long time I've been using an original PS3 to play Blurays. It's hooked up to a Sony HT-SS1300 slimline receiver which does not decode DTS-MA or TrueHD but does support multi channel LPCM. The PS3 recoginises this and does the decoding accordingly.
I want to switch to a dedicate player (that's quiet!) that can do the same thing but it looks like even the BDP-S7200 doesn't do this! That's 7 years of progress for you! Are they any other options for the same money or less that do?
The other option is maybe to get an HT-XT3 (which does handle those audio formats) to replace the 5.1 system but I'm not sure if that's a step back or not. I like the HT-XT1 I have in another room.

The manual for the s7200 is here,
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4535717211.pdf
Page 29 is audio settings.
Leave on auto and it bitstreams, choose PCM and you have what you want.
Chances are if you leave it on auto it will detect your receiver cannot bitstream and automatically output PCM anyway.

All BD players can output PCM, I have never come across one that couldn't.

My BDP-S4500 and BDP-S1500 don't support converting to anything but stereo, hence me asking. The specs for the S7200 suggest that it's 2 channels only for DTS-MA too.

The specs for the S7200 suggest that it's 2 channels only for DTS-MA too.

Can you point to a link that suggests that? It could send stereo but only if you purposely set it to down mix in the options.

My BDP-S4500 and BDP-S1500 don't support converting to anything but stereo, hence me asking. The specs for the S7200 suggest that it's 2 channels only for DTS-MA too.
Nope...the manual for the 7200 is linked too above, and none of the players you mentioned are limited to stereo only for anything!
For multichannel material you can "set" it to stereo , likewise for stereo material you can use one of the pseudo modes to " set" it to multichannel!

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/41/95/41950f79-0811-4292-807e-993f5749c0db.pdf - search for "decodability".
It's Dolby True HD rather than DTS-MA that it downmixes to stereo it seems. That could be a mistake but since the lesser models don't do it I'm skeptical.
Yes that appears to be correct. You are ok with DTS MA but DolbyTruHD will be decoded to stereo only. Avoid Sony then most players do better than that. Otherwise use it as an opportunity to buy a newer amp and bitstream to your hearts content :D

The audio settings for the S7200 look the same pretty much as the lesser players. I'll have another fiddle with the S4500 tonight but I'm pretty sure setting "Digital Audio Output" to "PCM" resulted in it sending stereo to my amp when playing a BR. If set to "Auto" it will send regular compressed DTS/DD.
I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the amp (Sony HT-SS1300) as my PS3 and PS4 both correctly send 5.1 channel LPCM. That is unless the "DVD" HDMI input advertises different capabilities to the "BD" input. I'll try swapping them over to eliminate that possibility but that'd be dumb!

A new amp is tempting but it'd have to be a slim unit. Something like a Marantz NR1504 would fit. Was pondering an HT-XT3 soundbase instead as the price is quite attractive on Sony's online store at the moment.

Ok I've had a play, switched around the inputs on my amp and sure enough it only puts out stereo PCM. Doesn't seem like progress but I guess the assumption is than anyone wanting more than stereo will have an amp that can handle bitstream these days.
At least it's nice and quiet.

Doesn't seem like progress but I guess the assumption is than anyone wanting more than stereo will have an amp that can handle bitstream these days.

Just don't buy Sony, other players can do more than that. Sony appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom