BPI getting all serious about music downloaders

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here we go again, the BPI have just launched a campaign to clamp down on music downloaders, starting with a new mesenger service to automaticly warn users of Kazza etc. that they are commiting an offence:eek:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in paying for legit copies of cds (so hopefully! everyone get's their cut) but surely the BPI themselves are largely to blame for pushing people into downloading by imposing £2.00 fee's on REASONABLE priced cds from the likes of CDWow. I mean people that buy from online retailers like CDWow and Play.com are the online users who are most likely to switch to downloading, not too clever to push them in that direction in the first place really:rolleyes:
So, unlike places like Germany where nearly all cds are £9.00 on the shelves of record shops, BPI are damn determined that we must pay more! why? who knows:mad:
I for one am getting pretty fed up with being ripped off, lucky for me theres plenty great cds I missed the first time around, these days I mainly get my music fix buying second hand from Ebay and others. I used to buy a new cd every week, that's now altered to one a month if that.
Hey! Maybe we should start up that boycott again, and this time keep the bugger running!
;) ;) ;) ;)

Yeah I saw that thing about the BPI, I guess we're all quaking in our boots now!

I use Kazaa, sure, but only as a means of listening to a few songs before going out and buying an album (not in shops - on the internet for a third of the price). I still think there's nothing more satisfying than opening up a well-packaged CD or box set after it's just dropped through the door. Beats a CDR or MP3 player hands-down anyday :smoke:

Part of me would love to see every single music sharing application shut down just so we could continue to watch global album sales drop. What would they go after then? People lending CDs to a friend? Libraries?

There's just too much competition for expendable income these days. DVDs, video games, digital cameras, moblie phones, and the list goes on and on. Getting rid of online music sharing will not help out music sales one bit. (and I would even go so far as to say it would hurt sales of smaller, less promoted bands)

Plus 99% of music these days is crap. :D

Originally posted by Azrikam
Getting rid of online music sharing will not help out music sales one bit. (and I would even go so far as to say it would hurt sales of smaller, less promoted bands)

It's probably in poor taste to quote oneself, but this recent study seems to agree with me.

File sharing has no effect on music sales

It's about time someone started to look at this logically.

Good link. I never thought that downloading is the cause for the decline, it's rather high prices, crap titles and poor quality recordings (a CD is capable of much more than what's offered with your common pop/rock recording).

I used to buy lot's of CDs in the previous years and even more DVDs (to use a similar example), but now I have reached a point where I have the titles I want, in particular old ones, and there isn't much of new stuff that can lure me into buying.
Should I however listen to a song (say on the radio) or watch a movie (cinema, rental) that I like I will go and buy it.
While it is tempting to get stuff via some illegal channel, especially here in Taiwan, I found that the quality usually is poor *) and hence I go for originals only; CDs here sell for around EUR10 and DVDs between EUR10 (R3) and 25 (R1).

*) Of course I never bought those but was shown them at my friends' places. ;)

Personally I have not bought a CD for more than £10 since about 1990. The music industry is expending a lot of effort for nought in my opinion. I don’t download music at all because the quality is not good enough and I don’t buy the modern product because it’s not worth the asking price. My CD collection is about 600 I suppose but the vast majority of it is pre 1990 for the chart stuff or cheaper blues and established artists.

I am like the many others and as suggested before, spend my free cash on other things. The question for the music industry to address is how do they get me to start buying again, well 50p – 75p a track pick; and mix my own would be a start. The numptys just can’t seem to see that 12 – 15 pounds for a CD is just too expensive to experiment on a new artist or poor unimaginative music.

I don't download MP3's(or other music files),but I do find the BPI and RIAA stance on this to be way beyond what's needed.
The price of CD's and DVD's in the UK is somewhat higher than in the US,and I'm sure that slapping an extra £2 on most discs in the country will not serve to increase sales,nor customer satisfaction,when they see the same discs on sale elsewhere at lower prices.
Of course something should be done about rampant copyright violation,but surely Apple's idea is one worth following up on,with a large library of relatively cheap downloads,licensed for each user.

Well according to this research it has no effect.

If you ask me the BPI have been bought and paid for by the music companies and their research probably is fixed to give such a result, i would trust independent studies more than a BPI study.

Research from across the pond.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9440

The problem is, the music industry keeps throwing out phrases, and the mainstream media just parrots them back. Nobody seems to care that they have little or no basis in fact. I have to quote this line from a related story in the Register.

According to IFPI, file sharing is a major cause for falling album sales across the globe. The Tzotziles people of the Chiapas region of Mexico believe that modern cameras can capture and steal their souls.

:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom