• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Boy the XE1 is loud

Messiah

Prominent Member
Don't know if it is just mine, but boy is this thing loud. Watched a first movie on it last night (upscaled SD) and it had a constant, and very annoying, droning noise. Really put me off the whole movie.

Anyone else noticed this?

I am beginning to get fed up with the whole HD DVD / BD situation. I have a PS3 for BD but that uses non standard remote and is also quite loud when the fans kick in. And now the noise from the XE1. I can't remember if the E1 was this loud (took that back a few weeks ago). Am beginning to enjoy my, totally silent, Denon 3910 more and more.

CarlB

Prominent Member
I definitely wouldn't call it loud, but it is audible, unlike my previous DVD players such as the Denon 3800.

I can only hear the XE1 during silent or very quiet passages, and it's only a low-key fan noise so it doesn't really bother me, but anyone used to the silence of DVD decks is in for a surprise with these new machines. I'd say the PS3 is perhaps slightly more noisy, but still quite acceptable to me.

For loud, I'd say something like the XBOX 360 is loud, and wholly unsuitable for AV purposes due to the noise level. Then again, my launch day model does often sound like a jet engine at full thrust.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I can hear it when everyhings gone quiet but you do have to listen out for it.Cetainly not loud enough to cause concern.

Messiah

Prominent Member
Maybe I do indeed have a duff one then as it was through normal dialogue etc that I can most definitely hear mine, and as I said above, it is a constant droning sound. Maybe the fan in mine is out of true or something.

Thanks for the replies guys.

TrevorS

Established Member
Maybe I do indeed have a duff one then as it was through normal dialogue etc that I can most definitely hear mine, and as I said above, it is a constant droning sound. Maybe the fan in mine is out of true or something.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is sort of obvious, but still, there's a big difference depending on how near you are to it -- if you are fairly close, perhaps it could be relocated. Another thought is if it's located adjacent a hard wall surface, the sound can reflect strongly. Some sound absorbing material on that surface can make a worthwhile difference.

My player is located about twelve feet away in a room corner and although I can hear it (low level) if the room is otherwise quiet, it dissapears when playing anything.

Messiah

Prominent Member
Not that near. It's on a glass Soundstyle rack in the corner of a 24' x 14' room, so sitting about 14-16' away I would guess. I'll try putting some form of soundproofing underneath it to see if it makes any difference. Thanks.

TrevorS

Established Member
Not that near. It's on a glass Soundstyle rack in the corner of a 24' x 14' room, so sitting about 14-16' away I would guess. I'll try putting some form of soundproofing underneath it to see if it makes any difference. Thanks.
Sound absorbing material underneath can help reduce player vibration sound (especially if you use vibration absorbing feet - like sorbothane), cones can help as well (by directing vibration down into the stand), but if it's fan noise, you're most likely limited to acoustically damping the wall reflections.

Corners tend to be especially offensive since the sound source will act as a point source driver into a megaphone (the junction of two walls or two walls plus a ceiling).

In terms of noise levels, my HD DVD player fan is definitely quieter than my previous A/V processor (a rather good one), and way quieter than my projector fan. Fortunately, I usually find that my ears are pretty good about filtering out quasi "white-noise" sound in the presence of either a movie or music. :)

LOXjet

Established Member
Don't know if it is just mine, but boy is this thing loud. Watched a first movie on it last night (upscaled SD) and it had a constant, and very annoying, droning noise. Really put me off the whole movie.

Anyone else noticed this?
It sounds like (no pun intended) you have a faulty unit, either that or it's some sort of vibration\resonance.

The only time I can hear mine is if I stand right next to it when the room is silent (even then it's quite faint).

Have you tried it on another surface?

Shimmyhill

Established Member
Sound absorbing material underneath can help reduce player vibration sound (especially if you use vibration absorbing feet - like sorbothane), cones can help as well (by directing vibration down into the stand), but if it's fan noise, you're most likely limited to acoustically damping the wall reflections.

Corners tend to be especially offensive since the sound source will act as a point source driver into a megaphone (the junction of two walls or two walls plus a ceiling).

In terms of noise levels, my HD DVD player fan is definitely quieter than my previous A/V processor (a rather good one), and way quieter than my projector fan. Fortunately, I usually find that my ears are pretty good about filtering out quasi "white-noise" sound in the presence of either a movie or music. :)

Could you expand a bit on this - where to purchase such goods. My rack is angled into a corner and i have noticed the noise levels have gone up - my dvd player that i couldnt hear before is louder for example. Anything that can help the 360 when streaming or playing a hd-dvd has to be good. ( i actually am reading this thread/section as i want to replace the 360 drive with an Xe1)

rooster-x

Established Member
My 360 makes the whole rack vibrate, am considering adding some "mass" to change its resonant frequency or isolating it with something :rolleyes:

robfitzp

Established Member
Mine is probably as loud as my sky hd box. If I had a quiet projector rather than the jet engine on reheat HS10 they would both probably be annoying. Sorthobane feet probably worth a try. I would also try an MDF shelf or similar rather than glass.

Cheers
Rob

TrevorS

Established Member
Could you expand a bit on this - where to purchase such goods. My rack is angled into a corner and i have noticed the noise levels have gone up - my dvd player that i couldnt hear before is louder for example. Anything that can help the 360 when streaming or playing a hd-dvd has to be good. ( i actually am reading this thread/section as i want to replace the 360 drive with an Xe1)

If the whole rack is radiating sound, then if the rack isn't standing on spikes, adding spikes (if feasible) can help, and/or adding sorbothane feet (or equivalent) to the noise generating components can help. A traditional solution for controlling reflections from a wall/corner surface is Sonex tile (or equivalent). It could be the best solution is some combination of these.

I don't know what your best local sources would be, though likely a better specialty audio/video shop would have something like the feet. Seems typical to have to go online to find Sonex, but you may be able to identify local less expensive alternatives. Here is a site that describes it -- may help: http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/foams/sonex.asp?gclid=CKj_yNiFuYsCFREfgQodlXXevA

Here's a site that offers feet and other things: http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...s.set/ref/53/ixos-spikes-and-feet/browse.html

Another possible vibration problem would be if a component panel vibrates. This is probably less likely to be your issue, but sorbothane sheet or Bluetack strips can solve that problem.

Hope something here helps. :)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Probably bcoz of the Computer type HD DVD Drive which is prone to making sudden noises. Shows how immature the players are. Once we start getting next gen players that look similar to DVD players from the inside we will stop hearing those rattling sounds.

Manmc

Established Member
Mine kicks up a racket too and it had a dent underneath and across the middle of the unit that we didn't spot when it arrived cos of the rush to get it up and running :)

I can hear it from the kitchen 30 feet away whether theres a disc in it or not :confused:

Maybe a bad batch ?

~M~

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Mine kicks up a racket too and it had a dent underneath and across the middle of the unit that we didn't spot when it arrived cos of the rush to get it up and running :)

I can hear it from the kitchen 30 feet away whether theres a disc in it or not :confused:

Maybe a bad batch ?

~M~

Read over on Avs forum that there was a bad batch of over noisy fans and now Toshiba have redisigned the part to stop noisy ones slipping through.So looks like you're entitled to a replacement if you think your player makes too much of a racket.
Mine's about eight feet away from me in a open rackand is pretty quiet only can hear the fan in silent scenes.Cheers.

Manmc

Established Member
Great news , Thanks !
Its impossible to concentrate on quieter passages with a Death Star ' humming away in one corner :) Hopefully there won't be any problems getting a replacement as Im hoping to get my new Lcd shortly and would love to have it ready to rock by then :smashin:

~M~

eggybread

Standard Member
I've seen pictures of the inside of the XE1 and the fan looks like a teeny 80mm fan, with a simple connector. As pc modders will tell you about fans - small = fast = loud.
But I know that Asaka and other companies do quiet 80mm fans, so would it be damaging warranty to open box and put a silent fan replacement in?

Messiah

Prominent Member
But I know that Asaka and other companies do quiet 80mm fans, so would it be damaging warranty to open box and put a silent fan replacement in?

I would say 100% yes. Opening the case will invalidate your warranty, let alone chaging a component. Myself, I'm not worried about the warranty so if I can find a suitable fan I will swap it. 5 minute job.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
My EX1 is virtually silent, much quieter than the E1.

Jules

Distinguished Member
was thinking of opening up my E1, and rather than replace the fan I thought about installing a resistor cable that came with my PC fan.

This would slow the fan down and hopefully make it run much quieter.

Of course it would move less air and therefore risk over heating, but I'm thinking that Toshiba will have built it with more rather than less air flow than it really needs. Maybe slowing it down would be ok, so long as the unit itself is not stuck in an enclosed space.

So, resistor cable.... good idea or sure way to a dead E1?

BISHI

Distinguished Member
Take th unit back, mine is whisper quiet and at the selling price you should expect the same. I guess Toshiba are very keen to keep customers happy so I would do it asap.

eggybread

Standard Member
I took delivery of my new HD-XE1 today. I set it up outside of the rack, just so that I could plug it in to test it worked. My one is definately not virtually silent as Jeff, BISHI or nickeddle say. From close up (2 feet away), air is being pumped out by the fan at a strong rate and the wind noise is quite loud. From a more sensible 10 feet away seating distance, that rushing noise is thankfully bearly discernible even when everything else is quiet.
But is that the norm, to be making any noticeable fan noise at all, or should it really be as quiet as the above seem to suggest. ie. Should I be calling Toshiba to say "please replace with a silent one, thanks." And would I contact Amazon, or Toshiba directly?
Thanks

My HD discs havent arrived yet, but firing up a few good quality SDs its upconverting is definately better than my 868avi dvd player. Now to check out the threads for what people have found to be the best setup...

eggybread

Standard Member
D'oh. Spoke to soon. It is actually quite annoyingly loud in quiet bits. Checking more forums, it does seem like it should be silent. AVS forums thread
Contacting Amazon to see if a courier can come along and do a swap.
Blast
PQ amazing tho, and thats just sd-dvd or a pioneer 434 (1024x768 res)

Manmc

Established Member
Posted this elsewhere , getting desperate ...

Anyone having my R2 disc problem ( XE-1 not recognising dvds ) ? I had visitors last night and loaded the french T2 and guess what ? It wouldnt recognize the bloody disc

Ive already watched it twice so my machine seems to have decided to make some bad calls all of a sudden

~M~

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom