Boxing

shodan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about joining a boxing gym.. Just for the training and fitness really at the moment. I want to lose some fat and I'm struggling with the motivation to do it on my own as the type of training I enjoy and is my go to, isn't particularly efficient for fat loss.

There is an excellent club about 15 minutes from me which runs classes Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sundays so I'm thinking about going tonight..

Crapping myself a bit because I'm nervous of the idea of going somewhere new and being the new boy with no experience... Its been many years since I've been out of my depth like this... So because of that, I'll probably do it!
Just wish I hadn't pushed so hard in the gym yesterday, I'm stiff and sore today..

Any one else here do boxing training? I don't mean randomly hitting a punchbag or having a personal trainer with no real boxing coaching skills doing pad work for you, I mean an actual boxing gym.

I spent my childhood and early adulthood training in different martial arts but because I was young, confident and competent, I had no troubles with going to new clubs but now I feel so nervous, I actually don't want to go!

I don't do boxing but know what you mean when you say you feel nervous about going to a gym and being the new guy. Having done various Martial Arts myself foe the last 40 years i've had to experience that feeling many times.

My Jiu Jitsu club also has a boxing and MT gym attached to it and they all seem like a good bunch of lads. I'm sure you'll find your place pretty soon.

Best of luck

I don't do boxing but know what you mean when you say you feel nervous about going to a gym and being the new guy. Having done various Martial Arts myself foe the last 40 years i've had to experience that feeling many times.

My Jiu Jitsu club also has a boxing and MT gym attached to it and they all seem like a good bunch of lads. I'm sure you'll find your place pretty soon.

Best of luck
Well I went.. Absolutely exhausted now! Got halfway through the warm up and wanted to quit.. 🤣
Pushed on through, had a great time but really had to dig deep to keep pushing.
I can't make the next class because I'm working a late shift so I'm going to go on Friday 👍🏻

You’ll enjoy it but it is damn hard work.

It works like this;

People think they’re fit, after one class realise they’re not.

After a few months of training, people think they’re fit. After a few rounds of sparring, realise they’re not.

After a few months of sparring, people think they’re fit. Then after a few rounds of sparring with everyone watching, realise they’re not!

And finally, after around 12 months of hard training, they’re fit.

Well I went.. Absolutely exhausted now! Got halfway through the warm up and wanted to quit.. 🤣
Pushed on through, had a great time but really had to dig deep to keep pushing.
I can't make the next class because I'm working a late shift so I'm going to go on Friday 👍🏻
What a crazy week for exercise!

Last Sunday was strength training and jump rope in the gym.

Monday I went boxing.
Tuesday - rest day
Wednesday I couldn't make the evening boxing class so I went for a 5k run with sprints in the morning.
Thursday - rest day
Friday I went boxing. I was the only one there so I had 1-1 with the head coach! That wasn't bad for a fiver!!!
Saturday I went to the gym and did 5k on the treadmill (recovery run to help with the soreness).
Sunday boxing in the morning!

There is no way I can keep up that level of consistency, my shift work won't allow it. Also in this morning session my energy output wasn't as high as it has been - which I actually found quite interesting.

Really enjoying the training and just what I need. Tons to learn, it is a lot more cerebral than I thought it would be (20+ years doing karate and other martial arts, sparring and competing and I never really had to think about what I was doing, it just worked - this is something completely different).
I'm the oldest there, the next oldest I've seen is 10 years younger than me and although I'm reasonably fit, it is grit and determination that is getting me through, not fitness and ability. But I'm loving the way it is making me feel and I'm really pleased that I've been able to keep up like I have.

I'm unable to make the wednesday, friday and sunday classes next week due to my shifts so I guess I'll be trying to fit in more training in the similar style in the mornings of those days.

So far I think this is going to be good for my fat loss, I certainly feel (knackered) a lot better now than I did last Sunday!

Had my first sparring session last night.
I've no idea how it went, other than we both got punched in the face a bit.. 🤣. Oddly I'm a little disappointed with myself because i believe I could've done better, but that is rediculous, it's my first sparring in boxing, only about 5 lessons in and the last time I did any sparring, most of the guys in the class hadn't even been born! Think I need to manage my expectations a little better....

I'm loving training again but this is SO hard! I don't really know how to moderate myself so I'm giving 100% to everything I do. But I guess this will help me to get fitter, lose some fat and actually get better at the boxing.

Had my first sparring session last night.
I've no idea how it went, other than we both got punched in the face a bit.. 🤣. Oddly I'm a little disappointed with myself because i believe I could've done better, but that is rediculous, it's my first sparring in boxing, only about 5 lessons in and the last time I did any sparring, most of the guys in the class hadn't even been born! Think I need to manage my expectations a little better....

I'm loving training again but this is SO hard! I don't really know how to moderate myself so I'm giving 100% to everything I do. But I guess this will help me to get fitter, lose some fat and actually get better at the boxing.
The key to not getting punched in the face is to move your head! :laugh:

But seriously, move, move, move. Be light on your feet and keep your head moving. Work the angles and DON’T just stand right in front of your opponent, in their range.

Sparring is difficult. You’ve got to think about so many things! Head shots. Body shots. Moving. Defence. Attack. Covering against attacks. Foot work. And then for me, kicks, sweeps, etc. I’m not sure how you are taught at your gym but when i’m coaching the novices or people that just want to improve i tell them to pick one aspect and work on that alone for a few sessions. And when i say sessions i mean sparring sessions. For me, one sparring session is around 30-35 x 2 min rounds.

Start with the basics. Keeping your guard up when you move and throw punches. Loads of people drop their right hand when throwing a jab, which means their right cross is slower as it has to come from further away.

Save the showboating (no hands guard) for when you have decent foot work, evasion skills and reactions. :smashin:

And if you really want a challenge. Once happy with your natural stance (orthadox for me) change to Southpaw and it is like starting all over again! :laugh:

@mjn
Thanks mate, appreciate the tips. Reckon I'll be re reading and keep coming back to that.

So as I've said before, I have a long history in martial arts and have tried many different things but my main focus was traditional Japanese karate.

I competed in that at local level and one national comp with fighting too but that was a lifetime ago.

Back then I didn't have to worry about anything.

I didn't get tired and I was able to control my distance and timing and often my adversities too.

Sparring and fighting was just an extension of my normal training, chance to try things out in a live situation.

I also knew that I had the hand and foot speed to fight best as an effective counter striker.

Now I feel like a complete novice (I am) and a big, slow hefferlump!

Although yesterday there were moments where I knew I was able to hit the guy as and where I wanted to. So there is still a little spark there, despite the 20 year hiatus.

Tell you what was also interesting, (while I was being punched in the head) I was acutely aware of positioning.

In some area of the lizard part of my brain, I was aware of when I was in his range for kicks, knees and elbows too.

To the point where I reminded myself I didn't have to think about those things, just his arms and his steps..

Mind you, although I've not been sparring for so long, I have had plenty of real world encounters as a copper with people who wanted to fight and some that were armed with knives and other weapons so I guess that has kept the survival part of my brain ticking over..

I'm looking forward to sparring more so I can learn to control myself again so my heart rate doesn't max out in 30 seconds... 😁

@mjn funny you mention Southpaw, I'm actually reasonably comfortable like that. I always trained both and because of my back problems (3 herniated discs, bent spine, sciatica and other nerve problems) I often get pain from the right leg which starts to go dead for a while so I switch to make it most comfortable.
Avoiding doing that in there at the moment though because I'll look like a right **** trying to show off when one not even mastered the basics 🤣

Yeah, can always spot the new guy in sparring. Two rounds and then sat at the side looking ready to puke. Whilst the experienced guy is barely out of breath. :D

As you i come from a traditional martial arts background. This time Taekwondo. So i’m used to training both side in equal measure.

Like i say, so much to remember and think about whilst getting punched in the face.

Too many people make the mistake of saying, “i’m going to work on xyz today” and then after a minute of the first round, forget that and go back to what they were doing wrong before.

People that make mistakes are not going to fix them inside a few rounds, it’ll take weeks / months so don’t worry too much. Just pick one aspect, say feet. And then randomly have a super quick glance at your feet and see where they are. You might be shocked! You might be square on. Feet together. Ridiculously long stance. Etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom