Boxing

shaolin101

A couple that I liked from a recent boxing training session. Really showed me the limits of my D80 - and of course increased my desire for a D3.

Processed a lot so probably a required taste - thankfully it is to my taste...

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Like the composition in these shots but not the processing - looks washed out and overexposed in places.

On second shot I would have liked the focus on the other boxer who's making the face.

Jim

Holowlegs

Hello there

Well I like the processing, and would like to see maybe larger versions.

They may need some noise reduction as well from what I can tell.

Not an easy subject to photograph and I bet the light wasn't all that.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

shaolin101

Thanks,

The effect was a lightroom preset and i think it added noise as the originals have had some reduction.

Here are a few originals. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a good shot. Used RAW and tried continuous shooting mode but it couldn't write fast enough so there was still a big delay between shots.

None are perfectly sharp but it was enjoyable practice.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Thanks - I do prefer the more natural colour balance on those shots.

Jim

denno75uk

I like the first three. The processing works well IMO. I like that the boldest colours still come through and the high contrast retains the detail. #1 is a cracker.

shaolin101

Thanks for the feedback

For anyone interested in wasting some time the rest can be found here

Army Boxing - a set on Flickr

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a decent shutter speed for this type of photography?

I was using the 50mm 1.8 for the sparring and iso 640 to try not get too many noise problems but they are still not what i hoped.

Also the problem with the writing to the SD card with RAW files meaning there was no real continuous shooting.

Or is this just a limit of the D80 showing itself?

Thanks

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Hi - just viewed the full set on Flickr as a slideshow - well worth a visit folks.

I think the whole set is very very good - TBH I don't think the few shots posted here do it justice - you've captured a lot of different aspects of that session very well IMO and some of the shots in the set are much better than those posted here :smashin: - some of the equipment shots and the "empty ring" shots really work well too - as do the "ringside/informal" shots. :thumbsup:

Jim

shaolin101

Thanks for your kind words - its encouraging!

I did just think though that it might not be anything to do with the D80 - It might just be my lack of a steady hand...

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your kind words - its encouraging!

I did just think though that it might not be anything to do with the D80 - It might just be my lack of a steady hand...
The shakey hand - if you've got one ;) - can be sorted - you've a good eye for this stuff and that's much more important IMO.

TBH I wasn't "overly impressed" by the first shots posted although they were "quite nice" - especially as I didn't like the processing but the set on Flickr was a real "eye opener" and much more impressive - and NO it's just not that they're "natural" :devil:

Jim

denno75uk

Thanks for the feedback

For anyone interested in wasting some time the rest can be found here

Army Boxing - a set on Flickr

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a decent shutter speed for this type of photography?

I was using the 50mm 1.8 for the sparring and iso 640 to try not get too many noise problems but they are still not what i hoped.

Also the problem with the writing to the SD card with RAW files meaning there was no real continuous shooting.

Or is this just a limit of the D80 showing itself?

Thanks
If I remember rightly, since the D80 uses a CCD instead of the now preferred CMOS sensor, noise always was a bit of an issue. I see the shutter speed you were getting/using was 1/200. To really freeze the action (if that's what you were trying to achieve), I'd have maybe gone for something a little faster. Perhaps nearer the 1/500 mark. However, personally I reckon the bit of movement you have in the shots works well.
As for the writing of the files to the card, perhaps you just need a faster card. Perhaps look at the ExtremeIII's from Sandisk. They always get decent feedback on here. I have a few and have never had any probs. It also may be related to the shutter speed/write capability of the D80. I see the max frame rate is 3fps and that's up to a max of 23 JPEGS. I think RAW it will only maintain that speed for 6 shots. I find the only times I can get my 30D to really go for the 6fps it can do is if I have really fast shutter speeds of over 1/1000. Just try it out at home selecting different shutter speeds until it seems to be firing as fast as it can.

shaolin101

Thanks,

I will try another card.

I did go for a speed of 1/1000 but it was far too dark - almost black, even at a high ISO so had to just go slower to get useable pics

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom