Boxing in a combi-boiler - Anything to bear in mind?

The Dark Horse

Hi all

I have a combi-boiler and want a cupboard built around it (boxed in). Some tradesmen say it needs ventilation, others not. As I have a British Gas Home Care contract for the boiler I'm wondering if there are going to be any issues. Does anyone know if certain gaps around the boiler or air filters need to be installed?

blasted

Novice Member
Check the manual for the boiler, it should state the minimum space it can be put in.

Mine is in a kitchen cupboard and causes no issues.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Hi all

I have a combi-boiler and want a cupboard built around it (boxed in). Some tradesmen say it needs ventilation, others not. As I have a British Gas Home Care contract for the boiler I'm wondering if there are going to be any issues. Does anyone know if certain gaps around the boiler or air filters need to be installed?
If you go on manufacturer's website you should be able to download the instructions for your exact model. Those instructions should tell you the exact measurements required around that model of boiler.

That's what I did, when choosing a new replacement boiler to fit into an existing cupboard

Berties

Banned
You want access to the bottom, to refill the radiator system. Need about 20 work room to see underneath, pretty fiddly with the plastic key and pipe thing. I wouldn't put a boiler in a enclosed cupboard, get one with vented sides top & bottom.

dennis1

just had mine serviced by BG and was told by the engineer that a minimum of 8" clearance at the bottom, was the recommended norm. ;)

plasma123

Novice Member
As above, check you manual, or go online to get one.

Things such as ventilation, clearances, and the flue all need to be taken into account, as does access to repair it when it goes wrong, which at some point it probally will. This will all be specified in the manual.

Dont be tempted to do what a lot of people do and box it in totally, and then look surprised when an engineer refuses to fix it until you have a joiner in to remove cupboards so we can get it apart. Happens at least once a month to me.

Cheers.

ste v p

Novice Member
Definitely check the ventilation and check there's enough room for two of you. Now are you just sparring or is it a full on fight?

:D

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
As above, check you manual, or go online to get one.

Things such as ventilation, clearances, and the flue all need to be taken into account, as does access to repair it when it goes wrong, which at some point it probally will. This will all be specified in the manual.

Dont be tempted to do what a lot of people do and box it in totally, and then look surprised when an engineer refuses to fix it until you have a joiner in to remove cupboards so we can get it apart. Happens at least once a month to me.

Cheers.
Thats stupid builders and joiners for you,couldn't even open the flap on a duotec the other week...
I can remember refusing to sign off 12 boilers in some new build apartments because of incorrect cupboard sizes.....

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom