Boxing Discussion thread *spoilers* (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boxing back this weekend

Bellew is on the card

And the USA card is ward vs Dawson quality

Times like this I miss having Sky.

Wanted to go and see Bellew but wasn't able to in the end. Shame Barker had to pull out of the card due to yet another injury, must be one of the unluckiest guys in boxing.

In other news I see Khan's busy making a prat out of himself again. After the rumours that he could be taking on Guzman for his next fight, here is his response...

Rumours had circulated that the pair were on collision course after Guzman was told he could an opponent for his mandatory shot at the vacant 'regular' strap.

However, Khan has quashed the speculation, saying Guzman was 'below his level' despite being an undefeated two-weight champion.

"I want someone who is a bit more credible than him," Khan - who has lost his last two fights - told the Manchester Evening News website.

"I've come from world title fights and he might be a little below that.

Umm, you're coming from two consecutive losses, you might now need work your way back to the top? When is he going to learn:facepalm:

A couple other ammusing bits of news too, good old Frank Warren is at it again with his hype machine discussing how Froch wasn't interested in a catchweight fight with Clev Warren - Froch rejected Cleverly | Sky Sports

I mean get real Frank, why on earth would Froch be interested in fighting Clev at this stage of his career?:rolleyes:

Lastly Freddy Flintoff has decided to take up proffesional boxing, will certainly be intersted to see where that goes Boxing switch for Flintoff | Sky Sports

Last edited:
brilliant fight in the early hours of tonight ward and dawson quality

Ward oozed quality
Everything right

Hi All,

Looks like Hatton is getting his licence back soon - apparently he will be making a statement this Friday.

Suave!

Stay retired..................................
££££££'s

Maybe he knows best(maybe he doesn't), but if he picks the right fights then I don't think anyone would begrudge him a couple of wins before properly retiring once and for all. Was always a bit of a shame to retire after two devistating losses.

Of course would be even more of a shame to come back, have a couple more losses in a similar style, then be forced back into retirement, that's the risk he'll have to take(and hopefully minimise should he return).

I'll be ready to watch if he does make a comback, and cheering all the way from the first bell, he does deserve to retire as a champ and if he could manage that I bet he would be far more content.

Let's just hope it's a quality return
And not like a prince naz type return which was blah against that Calvo guy

Hatton vs Ortiz could be a good fight

Hi All,

According to Boxing Scene - Amir Khan has left the Roach Camp - his "management" team apparently gave Roach an Ultimatum of sorts - leave Pacquiao & Chavez Jr for Khan. Roach refused it seems.

Amir Khan Makes Peace With Roach and Breaks Away - Boxing News

Talking of Chavez Jr, who does the folks on here will win with his bout with Martinez? I give it to Martinez, fare more serious & dedicated a fighter but in boxing, anything can happen!

Suave!

Suave said:
Hi All,

According to Boxing Scene - Amir Khan has left the Roach Camp - his "management" team apparently gave Roach an Ultimatum of sorts - leave Pacquiao & Chavez Jr for Khan. Roach refused it seems.

Talking of Chavez Jr, who does the folks on here will win with his bout with Martinez? I give it to Martinez, fare more serious & dedicated a fighter but in boxing, anything can happen!

Suave!

I didn't see that coming frm khan. Although it does make sense now it's happened!

What a night of boxing! Some great fights tonight! :cool:

All the right people won!

Hi All,

Suave!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Loool. Khan's team are a joke.

I've been saying Khan will leave roach for some time and now he's done it well done

I've been saying Khan will leave roach for some time and now he's done it well done

Well done why?

I hate this ridiculous notion out there that Roach is at fault for Khan's 'defensive' problems. I like Khan but the lad simply doesn't listen. His boxing 'brain' deserts him the moment someone hurts him and his bravado kicks in. Watch the Peterson fight back again, Roach is telling him to use the uppercut, a shot that was working and slowing Peterson down, but Khan didn't listen.

And all this nonsense about Roach not being 'dedicated' to him too, this only occurred as Khan's fight got called off in May and thus his rearranged bout ended up infringing on Roach's schedule with Chavez v Lee etc...

Khan got cocky against Garcia, boxed well for 2 rounds and got complacent. watch the fight again he wasn't hurting Garcia and this is a big problem for Khan, especially if he follows through with plans about stepping up. He needs to take responsibility for his last two losses and stop shifting the blame onto everybody else, get his head and rebuild. Silly jabs at fighters like Matthysse, who he should steer well clear of, are not gonna endear him to an already tiring public...

As for last night's action, any thoughts? Thought Martinez was a class above against Chavez but got over-confident and got caught, but was a clear and worthy winner, calls for a rematch are pointless. Even with that ridiculous weight advantage Chavez was out-smarted, out-worked and out-boxed. A rematch would be identical only with Martinez be aware of Chavez's power and thus not trading with him.

Alverz fight was as expected a miss-match and one now hope he'll get a step-up in opponent quality. Him against Cotto would be a great fight.

Last edited:
As for last night's action, any thoughts? Thought Martinez was a class above against Chavez but got over-confident and got caught, but was a clear and worthy winner, calls for a rematch are pointless. Even with that ridiculous weight advantage Chavez was out-smarted, out-worked and out-boxed. A rematch would be identical only with Martinez be aware of Chavez's power and thus not trading with him.

Alverz fight was as expected a miss-match and one now hope he'll get a step-up in opponent quality. Him against Cotto would be a great fight.

Man i love watching Martinez fight! His style is so slick. His feet movement and the way he pivots in and out :cool:

Only downside is that i can't beleive we are seeing this when he is 37. He only has a few fights left in him and have read today that he suffered quite a few injuries after yesterday (broken hand and ligament damage). Not good :(

Also if you haven't make sure you check out the Maidana v Sotto fight! War!

HitmanKelly said:
Well done why?

I hate this ridiculous notion out there that Roach is at fault for Khan's 'defensive' problems. I like Khan but the lad simply doesn't listen. His boxing 'brain' deserts him the moment someone hurts him and his bravado kicks in. Watch the Peterson fight back again, Roach is telling him to use the uppercut, a shot that was working and slowing Peterson down, but Khan didn't listen.

And all this nonsense about Roach not being 'dedicated' to him too, this only occurred as Khan's fight got called off in May and thus his rearranged bout ended up infringing on Roach's schedule with Chavez v Lee etc...

Khan got cocky against Garcia, boxed well for 2 rounds and got complacent. watch the fight again he wasn't hurting Garcia and this is a big problem for Khan, especially if he follows through with plans about stepping up. He needs to take responsibility for his last two losses and stop shifting the blame onto everybody else, get his head and rebuild. Silly jabs at fighters like Matthysse, who he should steer well clear of, are not gonna endear him to an already tiring public...

I mean yeah Roach well done to him for actually parting aswell on a mutual agreement I like roach and think Khan wanted to be a lone star but he had to put up with pacquiao and he didn't like that and the 2 defeats back to back made him part
Hope it is a downward spiral for khan now, I like the guys boxing but hate his persona

Martinez is quality 10/10 for heart and determination

I mean yeah Roach well done to him for actually parting aswell on a mutual agreement I like roach and think Khan wanted to be a lone star but he had to put up with pacquiao and he didn't like that and the 2 defeats back to back made him part
Hope it is a downward spiral for khan now, I like the guys boxing but hate his persona

Hi,

Well, now they have parted ways, it looks like Freddie Roach has very delicately let the cat out of the bag regarding Khan stating (on his next team):

"I like Khan but they should keep him away from punchers"

Roach fires a parting shot at Khan

Suave!

Haha roach let's rip now
Still want to see a rematch vs Prescott or even a match vs ricky

Big fight
December 8th

Manny pacquiao vs juan manual Marquez 4
:)

Can't wait

Big fight
December 8th

Manny pacquiao vs juan manual Marquez 4
:)

Can't wait

Hi,

Marquez has always seemed to cause Manny trouble - he really takes the fight to him big time!

Suave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom