Boxing Discussion thread *spoilers* (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venu44

Established Member
Reaction score
Former Welterweight foes Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito are all set to be squaring off in another Puerto Rico versus Mexico slugfest.

Their last bout ended in an 11th round TKO in favour of Margarito, but as your probably well aware, the fall-out when it was discovered he was using 'loaded gloves' for the Mosley fight, cast a huge cloud of his epic win.

Many Puerto Rican's believe this was why Cotto's face was so badly injured and that a normally tough fighter was systematically broken down.

Cotto himself swore that he would never let Margarito earn another penny from his name, but another recent stoppage defeat to Manny Pacquiao and a move up in weight has left the Caguas resident with little routes left to big money purse fights.

Perhaps this rematch has been too long overdue and that it has withered on the vine. But nonetheless fan's of either fighter (I'm a Cotto fan) will no doubt salivate as they make their ring walk.

So many variables will come into play as to whom is the victor.

Will Cotto be weakened by the first loss mentally? or will he be more driven than ever given his hunger to upturn the result in his favour.

Will Margarito look to prove himself 'cement free' against his old rival, in full knowledge that a loss to Cotto would effectively spell the end of him as a light-middleweight and possibly a marquee fighter.

One thing's for sure, the MGM grand will be rammed come September 17th !

Former Welterweight foes Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito are all set to be squaring off in another Puerto Rico versus Mexico slugfest.

Their last bout ended in an 11th round TKO in favour of Margarito, but as your probably well aware, the fall-out when it was discovered he was using 'loaded gloves' for the Mosley fight, cast a huge cloud of his epic win.

Many Puerto Rican's believe this was why Cotto's face was so badly injured and that a normally tough fighter was systematically broken down.

Cotto himself swore that he would never let Margarito earn another penny from his name, but another recent stoppage defeat to Manny Pacquiao and a move up in weight has left the Caguas resident with little routes left to big money purse fights.

Perhaps this rematch has been too long overdue and that it has withered on the vine. But nonetheless fan's of either fighter (I'm a Cotto fan) will no doubt salivate as they make their ring walk.

So many variables will come into play as to whom is the victor.

Will Cotto be weakened by the first loss mentally? or will he be more driven than ever given his hunger to upturn the result in his favour.

Will Margarito look to prove himself 'cement free' against his old rival, in full knowledge that a loss to Cotto would effectively spell the end of him as a light-middleweight and possibly a marquee fighter.

One thing's for sure, the MGM grand will be rammed come September 17th !
it,ll be interesting to see what the pacman fight took out of margarito

This fight isn't even garunteed to happen yet :rolleyes:

No one watch the Pacman/Mosley fight?

Awful fight with Pacman blaming Mosley for his style as the reason. In my opinion Mosley had little or no chance to beat him but his gameplan was the only one that could possibly give him the win.

Pacquiao did look off his game though. Whereas previously I was undecided over the outcome of a fight with Mayweather on last nights showing, and as long as Mayweather was on his absolute A game, I would say my money would be on Mayweather.

Saying that though I still cannot see that fight happening.

The Vazquez/Arce fight was BRILLIANT though.

As a side note I thought the intro's were amazing and nice to hear that Bob Arum had stated that he had looked as other forms of promotion such as UFC and learnt from it.

Terrible fight that last night Mosley fighting for pay packets shocking fight.

Lets just hope THAT fight gets on it wont but we can only hope.
The division is going stale and it needs this fight now IMO

Lets just hope THAT fight gets on it wont but we can only hope.

See if he avoids the clink first.

Can't see it happening.

(I mean the fight, not him avoiding jail):D

By the looks of it Mayweather will be fighting soon although it will be agains't Ortiz.

Nothing confirmed yet but looks like it.

Did anyone see the Klitschko Haye press conference?

It was actually really funny.

I love the Klitschko guy. He showed respect, and Haye just sat there like a big cocky oaf.

Hope Klitschko wins :)

Finally

Froch is back! | Sky Sports | Boxing | Features

Hope it's not ppv though. I don't think it will be with the cleverly fight 2 weeks before on ppv

Yeah, it's been a long time coming hasn't it!

Hopefully he'll become a bit more of a household name now he's left Hennessy and moved over to Matchroom. Will be looking forward to the Johnson fight, watched his Super Six fight against Green, he's certainly not showing signs of ageing and should be a good opponent for Froch.

YouTube - Glen Johnson vs Allan Green

BBC Sport - Carl Froch to be promoted by Barry and Eddie Hearn

Did anyone see the Klitschko Haye press conference?

It was actually really funny.

I love the Klitschko guy. He showed respect, and Haye just sat there like a big cocky oaf.

Hope Klitschko wins :)
He is quite funny, had me in stitches as he sounds like Borat. I hope Haye knocks him flat though

I'd love to see Haye win, I don't like the guy but he's British and for that reason I'd like to see him do us proud.
The K brothers have had far too long on top of the heavyweight division and have not brought anything exciting to the division.
I like Haye because he's fresh and quite exciting.

Haven't posted over here for a while...

Did anyone see Mike Perez win the prizefighter heavyweights? I have to say I'm quite impressed with what I saw, if he sticks at it he'll be a champ in the next few years.

Yes I was very impressed with mr Perez too, hope the prizefighter win leads to bigger and better things for him

So, Groves v DeGale this coming weekend(although it's the undercard for Cleverly v Braehmer, I'm more looking forward to it, should be a good nights boxing though!), going to be away for the evening so will have to just pray I can get a stream working as have been anticipating this one for a long time!

My brain says DeGale, but my heart and hopes defiantely are willing for Groves. Must admit I think people are writing Groves off way too much since the Anderson fight, and I think and hope it will be a good fight all round(with Groves knocking DeGale out, right after some DeGale showboating:), can but hope;)).

Seems Froch may be interested in taking on the winner, although personally I think he'd have way too much for either of them at this stage of their careers.

Good time for boxing at the moment

So, Groves v DeGale this coming weekend(although it's the undercard for Cleverly v Braehmer, I'm more looking forward to it, should be a good nights boxing though!), going to be away for the evening so will have to just pray I can get a stream working as have been anticipating this one for a long time!

My brain says DeGale, but my heart and hopes defiantely are willing for Groves. Must admit I think people are writing Groves off way too much since the Anderson fight, and I think and hope it will be a good fight all round(with Groves knocking DeGale out, right after some DeGale showboating:), can but hope;)).

DeGale will come out on top of this, I can't see it any other way myself... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I'm more interested in the Cleverly fight myself.
Wanted to go down and see the fight but at £50 a pop for the cheapest seats it's not worth it :(

Interestingly on the same night, over in Russia... Roy Jones Jr is about to rack up another defeat on his already spoilt record against Denis Lebdev, with another boxer who should have hung his gloves up, Nate Campbell, on the undercard.

DeGale will come out on top of this, I can't see it any other way myself... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Not long to find out, just had an email from betfair telling me I have funds sitting in my account, sure enough there was a tenner in there, must have been from the National a couple of years ago:D

Anyway, not a betting man but feeling positive I've gone for....

Groves by KO, TKO or DQ 6.8 £7.00 £40.60
You are betting FOR Groves by KO, TKO or DQ to win. If you win, 'Your Stake' of £7.00 is returned to you together with a profit of £40.60. If you lose you lose 'Your Stake'.

Groves by Decision/Tech Dec 13 £3.00 £36.00
You are betting FOR Groves by Decision/Tech Dec to win. If you win, 'Your Stake' of £3.00 is returned to you together with a profit of £36.00. If you lose you lose 'Your Stake'.

So counting on you being wrong for my first sporting gamble outside the National:)

So counting on you being wrong for my first sporting gamble outside the National:)

Well my call would be DeGale on points if I were to lay money on the fight...
DeGale still hits like an amateur... Groves is good on the defensive but hasn't got a good enough attack to take out DeGale in my view. It's going to be the speed and combinations of DeGale that shine through.

Either way, I'd love for you to win on your bet, just so I can see the post fight interviews, I bet they'd be better than the fight.

This fight reminds me of haye v enzo mac

haye = degale, groves = enzo

long term degale will be a world class operator, groves wont

Just looking through Groves' record on Boxrec. I know he's only had 12 fights, but he really hasn't fought anyone! The only three without horrific records are:

Charles Adamu (17-4)
Kenny Anderson(12-0)
Daniel Adotey Allotey (13-1)

Looking deeper into it, all three are seriously bloated. Adamu having fought 7 fights against opponents who have never won a fight!. He's been in against some good opponents too, mainly getting KO'd!

DeGale has at least fought (and beat) one person who can fight in Paul Smith. I can't help but feel this will be a massive advantage.

I would say that the Anderson fight will have done groves the world of good , as for the smith fight although smith was a good fighter , he wasn't really a super middle , as proven by his drop back to middleweight , and degale has had everything his own way so far in his career , atleast groves has shown he can come through adversity . I expect degale to win but I really hope groves causes an upset, and he,ll be the one I'm rooting for

That sounds a bit of a of a harsh somewhat premature statement, he's only 22 and I think has real potential, with the right trainer(perhaps it's time to part with Booth after this next fight if his technique isn't moving forwards) I don't see why he shouldn't become world class. People were full of Groves up until the Anderson fight, fair enough his defence was pretty awful, but he showed real heart, got back to his game(concentrating on the bodywork) and got the job done. Let's be fair most boxers have poor performances in their careers. Just look at how Khan came back from his devastating 1st round defeat to Prescott.

It will be a real shame for Groves if he does lose to DeGale, as can see people writing him off and he'll probably struggle to make a name for himself. He must know he really needs to do the business on Saturday night, just hope that he does:)

Personally I think both DeGale and Groves have great promise and wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Groves v Degale II(not counting the amatuer fight obviously) a few years down the line.

Anyway I guess the fight is hanging on the balance now as heard that Braehmer has pulled out from fighting Cleverly due to an eye injury, doesn't leave much time to arrange a new opponent and guessing it could be all off/postponed.

This fight reminds me of haye v enzo mac

haye = degale, groves = enzo

Interesting view you have there, not sure I agree though, I'll detail later on.

Just looking through Groves' record on Boxrec. I know he's only had 12 fights, but he really hasn't fought anyone! The only three without horrific records are:

Looking deeper into it, all three are seriously bloated. Adamu having fought 7 fights against opponents who have never won a fight!. He's been in against some good opponents too, mainly getting KO'd!

DeGale has at least fought (and beat) one person who can fight in Paul Smith. I can't help but feel this will be a massive advantage.

You can't judge a fighter purely on their record, have you watched many Groves fights? Apart from the Anderson where he looked sub-par he has a very tight and tidy defence, reminds me of Winky when it comes to defensive skills, although not quite as good - obviously.

That sounds a bit of a of a harsh somewhat premature statement, he's only 22 and I think has real potential, with the right trainer(perhaps it's time to part with Booth after this next fight if his technique isn't moving forwards) I don't see why he shouldn't become world class. People were full of Groves up until the Anderson fight, fair enough his defence was pretty awful, but he showed real heart, got back to his game(concentrating on the bodywork) and got the job done. Let's be fair most boxers have poor performances in their careers. Just look at how Khan came back from his devastating 1st round defeat to Prescott.

It will be a real shame for Groves if he does lose to DeGale, as can see people writing him off and he'll probably struggle to make a name for himself. He must know he really needs to do the business on Saturday night, just hope that he does:)

Personally I think both DeGale and Groves have great promise and wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Groves v Degale II(not counting the amatuer fight obviously) a few years down the line.

Anyway I guess the fight is hanging on the balance now as heard that Braehmer has pulled out from fighting Cleverly due to an eye injury, doesn't leave much time to arrange a new opponent and guessing it could be all off/postponed.

I'm with you on this... Groves has just as much potential as DeGale in my view, in fact I believe you could put a good argument forward that Groves has more to him than DeGale. DeGale still fights like an amateur with his lack of power and speed, but he can work that... Groves is naturally good at defensive fighting something that is incredibly hard to train - you can train it but you can't imprint that into a boxer naturally. If you curve their bad habits then they will shine through when in panic, think Ricky Hatton vs Pac.

I really believe that both of these fighters could turn themselves into a good, well established boxer... However I will not use the word great as I have my doubts about them both ever being "great".

Really terrible news that the Cleverly fight is off, I believe they have got Tony Bellew to stand in on this so Cleverly will get the belt and the undercard fights should all be okay.

You can't judge a fighter purely on their record, have you watched many Groves fights? Apart from the Anderson where he looked sub-par he has a very tight and tidy defence, reminds me of Winky when it comes to defensive skills, although not quite as good - obviously.

I'm not judging him off his record. I'm just pointing out that he is a lot less experienced than it may seem.

I've watched about 4 of his fights and he looks good, about 90% of the time. I think that if he'd ever been against anyone who could punch then he would have lost. Every opponent I've seen has landed some shots on him - look at 1.00 - 1.10 on this video from the the Alfredo Contreras fight, he would have been on the deck against a puncher

[youtube]PkjPs5EN7m8[/youtube]

Obviously, it's much too early to be drawing too many conclusions. Both fighters have a long way to go. I just have my doubts about Groves, I wouldn't be too shocked to see a 1st or 2nd round KO to be honest.

Looking forward to the fight though.

I'm not judging him off his record. I'm just pointing out that he is a lot less experienced than it may seem.

I've watched about 4 of his fights and he looks good, about 90% of the time. I think that if he'd ever been against anyone who could punch then he would have lost. Every opponent I've seen has landed some shots on him - look at 1.00 - 1.10 on this video from the the Alfredo Contreras fight, he would have been on the deck against a puncher

DeGale is hardly a fighter that looks good any more than 90% of the time either...

Plus DeGale is no more of a puncher than Contreras :D

I know what you're saying and I agree to a degree, but you can turn your argument around and do the same against DeGale. He hardly looks good all the time, he gets hit, he has no power... and what experience does he have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom