Boxing Discussion thread *spoilers* (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
One thing that always niggles me about Khan, when he wins(no matter how entertaining the 1st, Maidana II anyone?) he won't even entertain the idea of a rematch. However when he loses he's calling the other guy out for the rematch pretty much as soon as he leaves the ring.

I wouldn't blame Garicia if he didn't offer it, let's face it, if the shoe was on the other foot and Khan had won the fight in the same devastating style that Garcia did, he'd be saying there's absolutely no point in a rematch and Garcia has nothing to offer.

aneeqa

He's a busy man is our man amir. Reminds me of the guy with the golf sale board( walking advert)

@AmirKingKhan: RT @asifvali: Ready for the day ahead @AmirKingKhan @Vish_1508 come and do meet and greet at the Burton store london http://t.co/tLTHbMHS

@AmirKingKhan: On way to @choicefm for live interview. @harding_mary @asifvali

So I guess he's recovering from the beating by throwing himself into his other activities or his management team trying to squeeze every last £ before the next loss

Very poor

Ps the month if fasting is due to start on Friday. I hope he will use it wisely to reflect on the year

The Atheist

Tetlee said:
One thing that always niggles me about Khan, when he wins(no matter how entertaining the 1st, Maidana II anyone?) he won't even entertain the idea of a rematch. However when he loses he's calling the other guy out for the rematch pretty much as soon as he leaves the ring.

I wouldn't blame Garicia if he didn't offer it, let's face it, if the shoe was on the other foot and Khan had won the fight in the same devastating style that Garcia did, he'd be saying there's absolutely no point in a rematch and Garcia has nothing to offer.

I take it they didn't put a rematch clause in the contract in the event Khan lost? I think i read that garcia had one, seems like yet another major error on team khan's side if they didn't have one too!

aneeqa

The team was a few steps ahead. Probably had already placed an order for the extra money counters they would need.

Also does show a bit of arrogance.

qwerty321

I take it they didn't put a rematch clause in the contract in the event Khan lost? I think i read that garcia had one, seems like yet another major error on team khan's side if they didn't have one too!

After the Peterson fight, why did they do that again?! Pure stupidity if they didn't have one.

Suave

Distinguished Member
After the Peterson fight, why did they do that again?! Pure stupidity if they didn't have one.

Hi,

I must admit, I was shocked that they did not have a rematch clause - it seems like a combination of very poor management by his team & supreme overconfidence by Khan by getting well ahead of himself. After the fight, he keeps saying, that in boxing, a single punch can change everything but both he & his team knew this fully beforehand.

Maybe because of the fact that Garcia was also "hand picked'' by Team Khan also had a bearing on things.

Suave!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Do we think this change happened after the split from warren. I thought he was being well managed til then.

so from being potential world beater, like previous posters I don't even put him up their with Eubanks benn calzaghe naseem

Hell he deserves to stand alongside herbie hide!!!!!

Although he's probably earned more money than all of them combined.

Naseem earned £40m, he was the boxer that brought big money to the lower weights. There is a similarity in his and Khan's careers though, and that's the people around them making them lose focus.

By the end of Nas's career he wasn't training properly, was surrounded by yes men at the gym (his family mainly) and thought he could blow anyone away. His hands were wrecked but he could have beaten Barrera if he'd actually boxed, he certainly would have earlier in his career.

The big difference though is that Nas was way better than Khan - a far harder puncher, way harder to hit and a rock solid chin when he did. He cleaned up his division and defended his belts many times, Khan will never do that because he's going to keep getting beaten every so often when someone lands a big punch.

But yeah, Khan has made a fortune and won't have to go to work ever again. At the age of 25 with a glass jaw that's not bad going.

aneeqa

Well nice to see he's started the month of fasting:

@AmirKingKhan: Cafe mirage shesha with the boys after traweeh namaz

By completing evening prayers at the mosque and then hitting the shisha pipe.

It's all downhill from here

DrWise

Banned
see i don't believe everything written on twitter as its obvious its not him, and how do you know he will be smoking the hookah, whichever way, when it comes to boxing and this time of ramadan he needs to be focused, as this period can be make or break for many muslims

aneeqa

It's the intention that bothers me

Me I opened my fast at home with the family , attended evening prayers at the mosque and came home for slight breakfast before going to bed.

To leave the mosque and then sit in cafe whether smoking shisha isn't what ramadhan is about.

It's about looking at yourself and trying to be humble, praying reading the Quran, giving to charity etc

Example I spend a lot of the month trying to give to charity whether it's dropping money in a collection tin to looking at charities and choosing one to pay via my pay packet.

I don't here anything like that from him just postering and hanging with the boys in cafes, meeting his fans outside burtons!!!! Can't he say no to his sponsors for this month.

I take annual leave to fully benefit from fasting.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member

Me I opened my fast at home with the family , attended evening prayers at the mosque and came home for slight breakfast before going to bed.

To leave the mosque and then sit in cafe whether smoking shisha isn't what ramadhan is about.

It's about looking at yourself and trying to be humble, praying reading the Quran, giving to charity etc

Example I spend a lot of the month trying to give to charity whether it's dropping money in a collection tin to looking at charities and choosing one to pay via my pay packet.

I don't here anything like that from him just postering and hanging with the boys in cafes, meeting his fans outside burtons!!!! Can't he say no to his sponsors for this month.

No offence, as valid as your points maybe (and valid they are) the topic on hand is boxing-not how amir khan practices his religion. If he wants to smoke, hang out etc thats down to him and for people close to him to maybe have a word in his ear and advise him accordingly. Its not down for you or me to judge or pass comment.

We're here to talk about his boxing..and if after 4 years with Mr Roach his defence hasnt tightened up..i dont think the issue lies with Roach.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I take annual leave to fully benefit from fasting

Do you mean you take AL so as to make it easier to fast whilst not working?

Nobody benefits from fasting, and for an athlete (even in rest periods) I can't see how it can be anything other than a hindrance. I suppose a boxer can get away with it more than most as it's going to be several months between fights, but it certainly isn't ever going to be a benefit.

It doesn't look like Khan's ever going to change now. He's not a raw teenager anymore, but he's basically stood still for several years and doesn't seem to be able to follow simple instructions.

Not only that but he's way too full of himself, probably because he's surrounded by hangers on making a living out of him and telling him how great he is.

He needs a few home truths - he's not a big puncher, he can't take a big punch and he needs to get right back to boxing basics or he's going nowhere.

Boxing is a very simple game of 'hit and don't be hit' - Mayweather is the greatest exponent of that in the modern era, and Khan could do worse than to study him instead of thinking he can beat him. Mayweather would counter him to death on the way in and rough him up on the inside, there isn't a thing Khan does that is better than him apart from maybe sheer handspeed.

Last edited:

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member

Rob, unless you've fasted, you're in no position to comment wether it benefits an athlete or not:smashin: thats another debate for another forum as its not specifically boxing related.

aneeqa

True I think well leave the benefits of fasting outside this thread as its concerned with ak boxing.

The points raised in the last few points are valid and he hasn't moved forward as a boxer. You can't blame roach as if I recall he has trained a fair few boxers in his time.

If I was to post an opinion I think amir has reached his
Limit and isn't going to improve. He's also hindered by the activities outside the ring which are not going to go away.

So could we compare him with other limited athletes who have made the best of their abilities and creamed £££££

Beckham springs to mind as the brand is more popular than the football.

Could amir end up like him. Reality tv beckons!!!

DrWise

Banned
will amir khan ever be as big as David beckham i doubt it really do

but think his fiance/wife could become abit of a posh spice-esque

but now lets get back to boxing

So Khan has Thought of keeping roach but bringing in ariza (again) and Nazim Richardson
when it comes to achieving things he has to let go off his friends and concentrate on job @ hand

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Price is going to defend his title against Fraudley:thumbsdow

Honestly why are people still bothering with this bum, and Price should really be stepping up now, really fail to see what experiece he's going to gain from fighter a loser like Harrison.

If Harrison looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights afraid to throw a punch against Haye, I dread to think what he'll be like once he's felt some of Prices power.

Price is right for Harrison | Sky Sports

redcat1

Price is going to defend his title against Fraudley:thumbsdow

Honestly why are people still bothering with this bum, and Price should really be stepping up now, really fail to see what experiece he's going to gain from fighter a loser like Harrison.

If Harrison looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights afraid to throw a punch against Haye, I dread to think what he'll be like once he's felt some of Prices power.

Price is right for Harrison | Sky Sports

On boxnation. :thumbsdow

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
On boxnation. :thumbsdow

He's contracted with Boxnation for a year, if it had looked as though Price was going to step up through the ranks on the road to a Kitlschko then it might have been enough to tempt me to a Boxnation sub now I no longer have Sky. However after this news I'm starting to fear Price may become another boxer with huge potential, that wastes too much time in the domestic scene.

His last 3 opponents were fair enough, Dallas(who was looking a good prospect too at the time Price fought him), McDermott(who had given Fury problems and mainy believe beat Fury first time around) and Sexton. But after Sexton really is there anyone left in the domestic heavyweight scene apart from Fury who's running scared.

Would have rather seen him facing Skelton than Harrison, and that's saying something. But at least Skelton makes an effort in the ring.

I see this one over in one round.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
I like the look of Price when I've seen him box. He moves well, has quick hands and has a lot of power. Pointless him fighting Fraudley though as there is nothing to be gained from it. Everyone knows Harrison is a bum and a frightened one at that. The haye fight was shambolic and this will be the same. How he keeps getting chances I do not know..??

Price should be moving onwards and upwards now and if he want's to stay domestic for the foreseeable future then he would be better served fighting Fury who I think is the biggest pudding in the heavy weight division. I've watched him live twice and there has been nothing what so ever to convince me he has the talent just waiting to be unleashed. Fury is just a lumbering lump with a half decent jab and some power. Even against some of the ageing journeymen he has fought, he has struggled. Haye, who he keeps saying is yesterdays man and useless, would utterly destroy him.

The heavyweight division in general is dire and has been for many years. Lewis was a very good boxer and the Klitschko's have both been good for the sport but are getting past it now. Price could be the man to dominate but until he fights someone half decent, we won't know how good he is.

DrWise

Banned
damn boxing training has really been upped this week, was crazy workout

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Good fight for Groves tonight, lovely finish, those were some bombs after the count!

Should help raise his profile a bit across the pond.

Not sure if he'll still be returning in September which was planned, with that cut though.

HitmanKelly

Good fight for Groves tonight, lovely finish, those were some bombs after the count!

Should help raise his profile a bit across the pond.

Not sure if he'll still be returning in September which was planned, with that cut though.

Agreed. Still showed many of his defensive lapses, but thought he put in a real eye-catching performance. I was convinced he was gonna take a no decision when I first saw that cut, but he did well to come out and finish the job with a great KO.

He's still a long way off the likes of Froch, Ward and Kessler (although the later two have stepped up recently) but overall this was a very pleasing Stateside début for him.

That cut has surely ended hopes of a rematch with Anderson in September though. The ol' Scotsman must be pulling his hair out!

Thought the 'Ghost' did well in the main event too, though he's been taking some stick in the states for his lack of 'power and stamina' which I think is a bit unfair considering how long he's been out the ring and not to mention he was stepping up against a decent puncher.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
As expected the Groves v Anderson rematch has been cancelled/put back, seems ill fated that one as must be the thrid time it's been put back now for one reason or another.

Personally I think Groves will totally outclass Anderson now as I think despite not being in too many fights since the first, has improved quite considerably(accuracy was excellent in his last fight and barely wasted a punch, nice combinations too). Like you mention though HitmanKelly, his defences do still need further improvement.

DrWise

Banned
Boxing back this weekend

Bellew is on the card

And the USA card is ward vs Dawson quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers