Boxee review

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Ryan233, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ryan233

Ryan233

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good morning avforums

Well I'm currently looking to buy an boxee streamer. Can anyone tell me more about them and if there are worth the money.

I will be using a NAS drive for the share and most of my content are mkv file format or BDMV blu-ray structure. Will it play these fine

2. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    Yes they are good if you are after an easy to use player with automatic jukebox however Boxee does not handle BDMV very well. It prefers that discs are in .iso format or you have ripped with MakeMKV for a 1:1 MKV file.

Boxee does not support BD menus and doesn't support BD Lite either so if it plays the wrong stream from the BD you have to go into OSD video menu and change to the appropriate stream.

The best way to play BD's through Boxee is to rip with MakeMKV so only the main movie and desired audio track exist within a single file.

If you want to stick with BDMV you should take a look at HDI Dune players instead like the DuneTV or the Smart player which will also give you full BD menus.

3. Ryan233

Ryan233

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah I was considering the HDI Dune players but there are just ugly looking. That's why I was going go for the boxee.

The boxee is a stylish box to sit on my shelf.