• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Boxee Box Problem with large MKV Files

J90RDN

Have had the Boxee Box for a few weeks now, and generally well chuffed with it. Has played everything I've thrown at it. The only problem I have is with a couple of larger (3 and 4GB) MKV files. They play fine for a few minutes then stop and go back to the file menu. The files are on a locally attached USB External HD (1.5TB). I'm wondering if the HD is not reading fast enough to present the content to the Boxee, but surely if this was the case the Boxee would just freeze for a moment or something similar.

I intent to get a NAS soon anyway, but I've read that getting the correct Hard Disks is crutial so need to fully investigate.

J90RDN

OK, so update to the issues I'm having.

I have purchased a D-Link NAS (in the hope it would interface well with the Boxee) with a 2TB disk (none raid as only the one disk so far), and a gigabit switch (Netgear). I have the boxee and the NAS on the same switch (although the Boxee is only 100MB NIC). Playing large MKV files to the boxee (Avatar 8.9GB, 127 Hours 4.5GB, Dispicable Me) - movies play for a few minutes then dropout and throw me back to the main file menu. Sometimes it can be a few seconds and throws out, sometimes about 3 to 4 minutes. I've tried changing just about every setting I can see, but no use. The only MKV which works is Ironman2, but that is only 2.8GB in size.

I've been reading about all kinds of MKV issues with the Boxee, although most are wireless issues. I'm using a wired connection. It seems all other formats I've tried so far work OK.

Is anyone else having issues?

I've got to the stage where I'm going to give it another week or so, and if there is no solution then I'm going to try a Popcorn Hour.

J90RDN

Having spent the last few hours looking into this, and using Mediainfo to analyse the formats, I'm thinking it may be a DTS issue. All the MKV files which don't worth have DTS encoding, whilst Ironman2 MKV was AAC.

Hummmm

HeadBanger

It shouldn't be the file size; some of my 1080p BluRay rips to MKV are 35Gb. What is the HD formated as FAT32? Could you try another format?

J90RDN

NTFS, which should be fine. I'm coming to the conclusion it isn't file size either. Do you have a Boxee box?

HeadBanger

No I don't but generally video files will be much larger than 4Gb so I doubt it's your Boxee more likely your HD. Do you have another HD that you can try?

lfcmonkey

I have a Boxee and all my files are pretty big around 8GB for 1080p films, no problems whatseover. I am wired and using Dlink Nas Drives, your problem sounds bizarre!!!!
is it still persisting?

J90RDN

Yep - lfc, can you check your MKV files and see if the sound format is DTS or AAC for me please? I'm running the same NAS as you (DLINK DNS-320 with 2TB HDD). You can check the format easy enough with something like Mediainfo.

J90RDN

No I don't but generally video files will be much larger than 4Gb so I doubt it's your Boxee more likely your HD. Do you have another HD that you can try?

If you look at the original post you will see I was getting exactly the same problem with a Samsung 1.5TB external USB HDD which was connected directly to the Boxee. The 2TB in the NAS is brand new, as is the NAS.

I'm beginning to suspect the Boxee Box is faulty. It was brought second hand from this forum. Hummm....

J90RDN

Device was on latest firmware. Have just factory reset device, and downloaded firmware again. Straight out of the box it's still giving the same problems.

lfcmonkey

Yep - lfc, can you check your MKV files and see if the sound format is DTS or AAC for me please? I'm running the same NAS as you (DLINK DNS-320 with 2TB HDD). You can check the format easy enough with something like Mediainfo.

I have files with both DTS and AAC and no problems at all no matter what I throw at it. I'll tell you what though I used to have a popcorn hour which played files fine (wired) but when I tried using it in my sons bedroom using a 10 meter Ethernet cable (different to the one I used downstairs) then I had the exact same problem as you. Stopping with no reason, drove me round the twist and I sold it :(

lfcmonkey

Looks like quite a few folk had the same problem

[#BOXEE-7777] Video file playing across network will just stop playing (often) - Boxee Issue tracker website

Doesn't look like they resolved the issue although it says they did here but I don't quite understand how

[#BOXEE-9858] When a file playback is ended due-to an error reading a packet (e.g. network failure) - the file state is not saved - Boxee Issue tracker website

It states the following:

Modified CApplication::UpdateFileState() to resolve this issue.

Don't know if you can fathom what this means :rolleyes:

J90RDN

Yeah, I trawled through those posts last night, with no ultimate answer. I have tried it with wireless, powerplugs, and a long RJ45 network cable, all with the same results. I might move the NAS later and try it right next to the Box with a very short RJ45 cable, but with working in IT for 15 years I've never heard of network performance issues with CAT5 RJ45 cables less than 100m.

J90RDN

OK, so put the boxee in the study where the gigabit switch and nas are. Same result. This was attached to another TV without an AV amp, so although I didn't get sound (nothing to decode DTS I guess), I did get video OK, which bombed out after a few minutes as usual.

So I can rule out

My network, router, homeplugs, RJ45 cables and gigabit switch
The TV
The AV Amp
The HDD and NAS (as have tried it on External USB HDD)

Guess what's left - the BOXEE BOX!!!!

As it has the latest firmware, so it must be a hardware problem.

HeadBanger

And you've ruled the MKV files out too? They play OK on your PC or other media player? Does your your Boxee/NAS allow either NFS or SMB - if so same result with each?

Hope you get things sorted.

J90RDN

Thought I'd update this post. It seems I was being far too harsh on the Boxee Box (poor little thing)! It turns out the problem was with a USB external HD I'd been using. As the files were put on the device for temporary storage, they were getting corrupt somewhere in either the reading or writing process. Taking the HD out of the equation has resolved the issue.

I now love my Boxee Box again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom