Box too hot - what to do!?

jpmman

Standard Member
I got my HD box a month ago and from the start noticed a clicking noise after its been on for a while.

Got an engineer out who said he wasn't sure what was causing it, but possibly getting too hot. I have a Techlink Ovid stand which is open front and back with a single glass shelf, giving the box probably 20cm of room left and right, but only 3/4cm above.

He said he could change the whole thing and promptly got a brown box from his van. Clearly this was a refurb - and I explained to him that the guy I phoned at Sky had said that if it needs it, I would get a new box. Engineer said that was all he had, and I said leave it then because I'm not having someone's old box.

I have since tried taking the box out of the stand entirely and the clicking stops, and the box is much cooler.

Bottom line question is what to do now? Should I get a new box, or is the problem with my stand? I never had a problem with Sky+, but the HD box seems to get quite hot. My stand was also £200, so don't really want to change it, but the clicking gets to you after a while!

It's an Amstrad box I believe. Seems to me its a design fault, but I'll never get Sky to admit that.

Thanks for any comments.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
With the clearance you have to the left ift should be fine, above is not so important as the fan drawers air from below & exhausts out of the left. Try raising the box up say around 1CM (10mm) to see if this improves things, if so you can buy some little feet to stick underneath. :)

jpmman

Standard Member
Sounds like the box might be a problem then, as there is loads of room either side. Pretty frustrating dealing with Sky at the best of times, but with things like this, it's a nightmare dealing with 'technical' people who don't have a clue.

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
Clicking noise from the box sounds like the HD is on the verge of failing.
If you only got it a month ago it definately shouldn't be doing that, and you don't have to be fobbed off with a refurb... it's clearly faulty out of the box, and you should get a new one.

Sky don't have to admit the fault.. if a device fails in under 6 months it's up to sky to prove it isn't a fault not for you to prove it is (reversed burden of proof in the SOGA).

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the box might be a problem then, as there is loads of room either side. Pretty frustrating dealing with Sky at the best of times, but with things like this, it's a nightmare dealing with 'technical' people who don't have a clue.
It does sound as if there may be a problem, and yes dealing with sky CS always requires a stiff drink before and after the conversation unless you are very lucky & find one who knows something but even then he can only do what the system allows him/her to do :rolleyes: Sounds like it might be time for a drink I'm afraid :D

panman40

Distinguished Member
I got my HD box a month ago and from the start noticed a clicking noise after its been on for a while.

Got an engineer out who said he wasn't sure what was causing it, but possibly getting too hot. I have a Techlink Ovid stand which is open front and back with a single glass shelf, giving the box probably 20cm of room left and right, but only 3/4cm above.

He said he could change the whole thing and promptly got a brown box from his van. Clearly this was a refurb - and I explained to him that the guy I phoned at Sky had said that if it needs it, I would get a new box. Engineer said that was all he had, and I said leave it then because I'm not having someone's old box.

I have since tried taking the box out of the stand entirely and the clicking stops, and the box is much cooler.

Bottom line question is what to do now? Should I get a new box, or is the problem with my stand? I never had a problem with Sky+, but the HD box seems to get quite hot. My stand was also £200, so don't really want to change it, but the clicking gets to you after a while!

It's an Amstrad box I believe. Seems to me its a design fault, but I'll never get Sky to admit that.

Thanks for any comments.
The space you have either side is fine but the shelf above being that close will cause a stagnent heat build up for sure:eek:, i would reccomend atleast 12-15cm space above the box or rig up a 12 volt 120mm fan at the rear of the box facing forwards powered via a power adaptor set at around 6 volt output.

this will move the built up hot air from above the box:).

jpmman

Standard Member
It's about a 4cm gap and maybe there is a build of heat as you say. What set ups do others have though - have you all got 15cm+ above and therefore avoid this issue?

I really wanted (and have) a low stand so the TV isn't too high at viewing level. Seems the obvious way (other than a fan, or trying another box) is to get another stand, but will have to be much higher to have the shelf height to accommodate the box heat. Ridiculous really.

kenedin

Mine is on its own on the glass shelf. Bags of room , side and back, and nowhere near any other heat source ( radiator, TV, AV gear etc ). There's 4.5cm clearance above, and 4cm clearance underneath. As it's a Thomson, I have raised the box off the shelf on a few black doorstops. These boxes need good ventilation, as cool air is drawn in from below.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
It's about a 4cm gap and maybe there is a build of heat as you say. What set ups do others have though - have you all got 15cm+ above and therefore avoid this issue?

I really wanted (and have) a low stand so the TV isn't too high at viewing level. Seems the obvious way (other than a fan, or trying another box) is to get another stand, but will have to be much higher to have the shelf height to accommodate the box heat. Ridiculous really.
My stand which I designed & built has 30mm clearance above my HD box & there is absolutely no buid up of hot air below the shelf above as it's open back & front & both sides.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
A box that is a month old shouldn't be failing from heat even if it was kept in less than ideal conditions (and it sounds like yours isn't - think of the numbers of sky boxes out there in cupboards, etc.).

Doesn't matter though.. it's new, it's broke. Get a new one. Anything else is Sky trying the Jedi mind trick on you..

Gormless

Standard Member
My Amstrad gets hot to the right as I look at it, ?
Thats where the PSU is and the fans are right over the other side of the box, one on the side an one under the HDD, mine gets very hot on the right as well mate and the HDD is also way hotter than the ones in my PC and although i am happy with my Amstrad i have in 3 months yet to hear the fans come on.

When i fitted a 1TB drive you can see the fans spin up on initial boot but they instantly spin down again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom