Quantcast

Question Box that plays 4K MKV files

Colin151

Wanted some advice on a good box to buy that plays 4K mkv files? Or maybe a UHD Blu ray player that can do it?

I want to upgrade to a 4K PJ and my WDTV live box will only go up to 1080p mkv files and won’t play 4K mkv’s

JabbaNut

Have you watched this all the way through?

You can lead a horse to water but not make it drink.

Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
NVidia does HDR and Dolby Atmos too, only better device (for best picture) is an Oppo 203 as that can also Dolby Vision... as above you get what you pay for, I’ve had plenty cheap streamers, fastest with best interface is nVidia and Oppo is technically better (and a disc player) but the interface is not so good and has zero apps...

russelkhan

Thanks for the Info. Are there any other cheaper alternatives at all?
As above, you get what you pay for. There are plenty of cheap Android boxes that claim to play 4K but I honestly don't know if they are any good.

If I had to recommend a cheaper alternative purely by reputation alone, then it'd be one of the Mi Boxes by Xiaomi. They make very good phones, so their Android TV boxes should be decent too.

russelkhan

I'm using Plex on a Shield TV to play all my media, including 4K HDR. Theoretically, a Xiaomi Mi Box should be able to do the same. My media is on a computer that runs Plex Media Server. You can of course simply plug your media into the USB port on the Android box and use a different player such as Kodi. Personally, I found Kodi much more fiddly to set up properly. Plex just seems to work.

Vila

Thanks for the Info. Are there any other cheaper alternatives at all?

The Vero4k+ does HDR and Atmos, but no dolby vision unfortunatly.

Its Kodi based and personally I prefer it to the shield.

dion 6

I use a vero 4k to play my mkvs via two connected HDD's plays 4k hdr full hd Dolby atmos with no problems. I use the kodi media centre to display my movies any its work with no problems. I had a WD player years ago and a popcorn hour A300 and the vero is much better.

Colin151

Thanks for the advice. The Vero 4K looks like a more affordable option.

If you are playing a UHD mkv file is it possible to display at 1080p with any of these boxes (i.e Nvidia Shield and Vero 4K?), as I might need that sometimes for an older projector.

Vila

Thanks for the advice. The Vero 4K looks like a more affordable option.

If you are playing a UHD mkv file is it possible to display at 1080p with any of these boxes (i.e Nvidia Shield and Vero 4K?), as I might need that sometimes for an older projector.
You can certainly play back the 4k file at 1080p but the problem comes in with the colours as it’s not an SDR image so you typically end up with something very muted and washed out looking

Colin151

You can certainly play back the 4k file at 1080p but the problem comes in with the colours as it’s not an SDR image so you typically end up with something very muted and washed out looking
Thanks for the info. Doesn’t sound ideal!

Colin151

Thinking of getting a Vero 4K. Just to confirm. It plays Mkvs straight from a USB key or hard drive?

also are there any UHD disc players that can play MKVs from a USB key/HDD?

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Other credible options are Zidoo or Zappiti. I had a Zappiti but now have a number of Zidoo boxes, including a Zidoo X9S hooked up to an Epson 9300. It played both 1080p and 4K MKVs flawlessly, and can even downgrade HDR to SDR when playing back to a non HDR display.

Colin151

Other credible options are Zidoo or Zappiti. I had a Zappiti but now have a number of Zidoo boxes, including a Zidoo X9S hooked up to an Epson 9300. It played both 1080p and 4K MKVs flawlessly, and can even downgrade HDR to SDR when playing back to a non HDR display.
Thanks for the info. The Zidio sounds decent. Is it the only box that downgrade HDR to SDR for a non HDR display? Or do some of the others do it too?

Vila

Is it the only box that downgrade HDR to SDR for a non HDR display? Or do some of the others do it too?

There is no exact standard for tone mapping or converting REC 2020 (The colour system used for UHD) to REC709 (The Colour system used for HD.

Almost all of the boxes will 'have a go at it' but it wont give you "The correct" REC 709 colours on an HD screen versus just watching the original rec 709 blu ray version.

You get something like ...

fd59d8a80894fd65f805bea1183e660a5b66aa12_2_1332x1000.jpg

When the Rec709 version should look like...

bf5f5c6de7a03ee4d383aaaf2f5608a6bf496915_2_1332x1000.jpg

I believe Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players used to be regarded as pretty at doing this with discs, but i have no idea if they would play mkvs or if the interface wasn't hateful to use.

I came to the conclusion if you actually want it to look "right" its better to give a 1080p projector a 1080p image.

Colin151

There is no exact standard for tone mapping or converting REC 2020 (The colour system used for UHD) to REC709 (The Colour system used for HD.

Almost all of the boxes will 'have a go at it' but it wont give you "The correct" REC 709 colours on an HD screen versus just watching the original rec 709 blu ray version.

You get something like ...

View attachment 1257314

When the Rec709 version should look like...

View attachment 1257315

I believe Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players used to be regarded as pretty at doing this with discs, but i have no idea if they would play mkvs or if the interface wasn't hateful to use.

I came to the conclusion if you actually want it to look "right" its better to give a 1080p projector a 1080p image.
Ok that’s helpful. Thanks for the info!

BeelzebubUK

+1 for the Vero 4k+

I've been using one for a year now and it has played everything flawlessly (mostly UHD remux movies) . Obviously no support for Dolby Vision as it doesn't have a licence for it but that seems to be the same for all media streamers apart from maybe that Kaleidoscape system?

The owner/developer of it (who is from the UK) is genuinely interested in having the best product so the support is excellent too.

Only issue I've had with it was the HDMI cable that came with it started to give sparklies on 4k playback so had to replace it.

steelman1991

+1 for the Vero 4k+

I've been using one for a year now and it has played everything flawlessly (mostly UHD remux movies) . Obviously no support for Dolby Vision as it doesn't have a licence for it but that seems to be the same for all media streamers apart from maybe that Kaleidoscape system?

The owner/developer of it (who is from the UK) is genuinely interested in having the best product so the support is excellent too.

Only issue I've had with it was the HDMI cable that came with it started to give sparklies on 4k playback so had to replace it.
Agreed on the Vero4K+. Plays everything I've thrown at it.

Kaleidescape doesn't support DV either.

Trending threads

Latest News

BenQ launches new Home Cinema and Gaming projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Acorn TV streaming service to launch in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UK 2020 TV rollout and prices revealed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published