Box out of warranty soon

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Such, May 1, 2007.

1. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I've been innundated with junk mail offering me service contracts on my HD box as its warranty expires soon.
    Has anyone taken this up? Costs between £5-10 per month.
    Is there a better alternative?

2. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i work for a company who supply warranties for the boxes at the moment your best bet would be leave it at the mo and if it goes down phone sky and use the sale of goods act about the box should not go faulty 18 months after purcahse as it could be an inherrant fault and if they deny threaten to cancel as they will be more interested in up to £53.50 per month than forcing you to pay £65.00 for a call out

3. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Agree.

Although would Sky not be within their rights to say the sale of goods act is with whoever you bought the box from. I.e. quite a few people have no doubt taken up currys/pcworld etc on the half price SkyHD box and the sale was therefore with them not Sky?

4. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I for one will NOT be taking out any extended warranty, Sky or otherwise. £10+/- = £120/yr. I'd rather pay an engineer to fix it if it goes wrong. Two yrs of extended warranty payments would buy you a new box.

5. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i would argue the fact that just because i got the box from somewhere else they commisioned the box to be built to their own specification and they update the epg so it is there fault i ttried it with a pvr 3 which i purchased from my place of work and they crumbled

6. Robbie Razzler

Robbie Razzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    £5-10 per month is an absolute joke, if its such a high quality box then it should be unlucky something terrible goes wrong. If i started taking out extra warranties for every bit of A/V i have then i would be bankrupt. You have to draw the line somewhere. I didn't even take out the extra warranty for my ps3.

7. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well... I'm on box number 4. 'If' it goes faulty in a month or two, and Sky won't do anything about it, then I'll be going back to my very reliable Pace MKII Sky+ box. Sky HD is a bit of a waste of money for us, as I don't watch sports and if I watch HD movies they're usually Blu Ray or HD DVD flavour. :)

I agree with Robbie Razzler about the price, it's like Sky are expecting problems. Insurance is risk assessment at the end of the day, and the risk is high...hence the high price.

8. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I took out one for my xbox 360 but thats the only electrical item thats actually died on me, and at £40 for 12 months it wasn't too badly priced.

9. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hehe, I've had 2 of those die on me too (ring of death). :rolleyes:

10. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I got my box direct from Sky -I'll probably leave it for now - I may even call sky and ask them to provide warranty or I'll cancel now that my year is coming up.
    Had box replaced 2 months into contract.

Thanks

11. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    My warranty ran out a few weeks ago, while I kept on getting these stupid LAST CHANCE, URGENT NOTICE letters from a local sat box company to extend the warranty.

I wrote to $KY and said that I bought the box directly from them and said that with the 'forced' software downloads to the box from $KY they would be more responsible for the proper running of the box than I should.

If anything happens to it, new box or cancelled subscription :cool:

12. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i tottaly agree as most faults can be put down to the epg software as with any computer system so why should us the paying customer pay for something that is not our fault

13. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Just had a sky engineer out to replace my HD box,he tried 2 of his van and both where faulty.:eek: He told me they where both brand new and he had no others on his van.:thumbsdow

Complete joke.:mad:

14. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    That's bad....... I have had my box for the year now and when my engineer came out he told me he went through ten boxes at his depot which all blew before he got a good one which he had on the van for me.

So after all this time they still have not got any Quality Control on the boxes they have to install.

So why should we foot the bill later on. Perhaps that is why there is such a pass by $ky on their obligations, they know these boxes are badly put together and are gonna cause problems. :mad:

15. mclmar

mclmar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Luckily (or unluckily!) my box just packed in, but days inside its warranty.

Engineer came out, barely tested the box. Whipped it out and replaced with a new box. Worryingly he did mention that the HD boxes have a very high attrition rate.

Based on the above, if you are one for the extended Warranties, then this may be the equipment for it. However, get a few quotes.

16. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    just to start this up again because of the company i work for we had a bit of info that sky are recieving on average 30 faulty HD boxes back at thier depot on a daily basis

17. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Good because that info only goes to support even more justification when phoning Sky that an extended warranty is not required on the basis that these boxes are inherrently faulty and therefore sale of goods act quite adequately covers them.

Even microsoft didn't succeed with telling everyone to buy a warranty to cover the xbox360 being faulty and have finally caved in :D

Having said that I did get a call from Sky rep asking if I wanted the £10pm warranty (Nope was the reply after letting them tell me all about it :)) Didn't realised that it covers ALL boxes in the household upto 8 sky or 4 sky+/HD boxes.

18. GMT

GMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    sky dont supply warranties.

so looks like you will be cancelling if your box does break, in which case you will probably get a free service call anyway.

and i can assure you that this quote is utter rubbish.
    that means that just about EVERY SINGLE customer that has sky HD has handed their box back or had it replaced over the past year.
    :lesson: