"Box for £75"

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Two of my neighbours have both said they have seen advertised some sort of box for a "one-off payment" of £75.

I suspect this may be some sort of PVR. But, as a PVR user myself, I never ever see adverts!

Can anyone enlighten me as to what they may have seen and whether it's worthwhile?

Brava 210

I think this is a slightly misleading TV campaign, As I recall currently advertising on ITV

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
OK, but for what?

Gavtech

Administrator
Nigel - This ad [ misleading to some] was discussed in the Humax thread here.... from about post 158 onwards.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I see. It's one of those generic Freeview ads rather than for a specific product. Thanks. What kind of thing can one obtain for £75, then?

Gavtech

Administrator
Ah, I see. It's one of those generic Freeview ads rather than for a specific product. Thanks. What kind of thing can one obtain for £75, then?
:D I dunno. I never watch adverts.

But a quick look at the Freeview+ site suggests they may be referring to a little twin tuner Alba unit. Here.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. At least I can give the two of them some genuine advice about how seemingly unreliable the cheapo ones appear.

creddish

Thanks guys. At least I can give the two of them some genuine advice about how seemingly unreliable the cheapo ones appear.
Hmmm? I don't agree there is any correlation between price and reliability in the case of Freeview PVRs

Colin

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
You may well be right. However the suggestions offered above for a £75 box are for Vestels which I understand are somewhat prone to simply not bothering to record, or to freezing up - neither "feature" being something I'd want to recommend to an elderly neighbour - for no other reason than they'd be forever asking me to come round to "fix" it because neither would understand how or why or when to cycle power.

Had you expanded your opinion with additional information (such as - what would you buy for an elderly neighbour for £75), it might have been helpful.

creddish

You may well be right. However the suggestions offered above for a £75 box are for Vestels which I understand are somewhat prone to simply not bothering to record, or to freezing up - neither "feature" being something I'd want to recommend to an elderly neighbour - for no other reason than they'd be forever asking me to come round to "fix" it because neither would understand how or why or when to cycle power.

Had you expanded your opinion with additional information (such as - what would you buy for an elderly neighbour for £75), it might have been helpful.
I didn't make any recommendation as such was not requested and did not seem to be the main topic of the thread. I would make different recommendations depending on the priority requirements of the prospective purchaser. I have made recommendations when appropriate, see recent posts here, here and here. Certainly I would not make any recommendation based solely on the age a prospective user. I'm in the age range of those getting a free TV licence for some years now but my priorities are different from users who's primary requirement is "ease of use". If this was a prime requirement (as I think you may have implied in your reference to "an elderly neighbour") I would certainly recommend one of the Vestel PVRs. My experience of Vestel PVRs is that in terms of freezes (lock-ups) and recording reliability they are not significantly different from for example a Humax PVR.

Colin

Last edited:

Futaura

My experience of Vestel PVRs is that in terms of freezes (lock-ups) and recording reliability they are not significantly different from for example a Humax PVR.
I agree with this - in fact, my Vestel PVR pretty much records everything I ask it to. The only failures I recall are on the odd instance where the broadcaster either doesn't broadcast the correct signals or last minute moving of programmes to a different channel, both of which will fail on most Freeview+ boxes because it is the broadcaster's fault. I recommend the latest Vestel T835 based boxes - as long as you leave low power mode enabled (the default) and have at least v3.4 software on it, then it is very responsive and reliable.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the further opinion.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I recommend the latest Vestel T835 based boxes - as long as you leave low power mode enabled (the default) and have at least v3.4 software on it, then it is very responsive and reliable.
Can you recommend any particular current brands/models with this version?
Thinking of getting my daughter one.

creddish

They all seem to be out of stock, discontinued?
Certainly the bargain price units will be very hard to find but the fact they are still listed usually means they have at least one in a store. I did manage to find one of the £99.99 Hitachi 160GB units in one of our local stores (Reading) a couple of days ago.

Typically Argos buy Vestel PVRs in batches each batch having a different Brand/Model number with updated software and cosmetic case changes. I guess eventually SD Freeview PVRs will be phased out and superseded by HD models but I don't think that will be for a while yet.

Colin

Futaura

Don't forget it is also approaching new catalogue time for Argos, in which they often refresh the brands and configurations offered. I'm sure the T835 models will be in stock again soon in one way or another. Locally I could only find a Hitachi HDR255 and Bush 320Gb, from around 10 stores.

creddish

Don't forget it is also approaching new catalogue time for Argos, in which they often refresh the brands and configurations offered. I'm sure the T835 models will be in stock again soon in one way or another. Locally I could only find a Hitachi HDR255 and Bush 320Gb, from around 10 stores.
I thought about mentioning the new catalogue changes in their range of PVRs. However, Argos are not very good at synchronizing their stocks with the issue of their catalogues. I recall the original T825 not appearing until several months after they appeared in the Catalogue and one PVR (a Philips IIRC) was listed in at least two catalogues before it appeared,

Colin

Futaura

I thought about mentioning the new catalogue changes in their range of PVRs. However, Argos are not very good at synchronizing their stocks with the issue of their catalogues. I recall the original T825 not appearing until several months after they appeared in the Catalogue and one PVR (a Philips IIRC) was listed in at least two catalogues before it appeared
Well, that's quite true :). Of course, the HDR165 disappeared from the last catalogue completely, IIRC, yet the stores still stock it - not that there is anything different between the HDR165, HDR255, HDR325 and HDR505 apart from the size of the HDD. I do not know this for a fact, but it would seem silly that Vestel would be working on a new SD PVR revision, and Argos are probably not going to get anything better at that pricepoint to sell. That's why I suspect there will be T835 models available at Argos for sometime still, unless they're going to drop SD PVRs, which would be a little stupid, but Argos are prone to such things I guess (dropping most of their Freeview+ PVRs for TUTV boxes, I recall :D). As you say, the bargain prices lately on the Hitachi models are probably a big reason for the current stock shortages.

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil