Bowers & Wilkins Xt4 series.

Dallibab

Novice Member
Hi all I have a B & W Xt4 speaker setup, I have 2 x Xt4's in the front and a Xtc for the center speaker, A Pv1 Sub ( I may have access to another for free) and 2 x xt2's for the rear surround, I know My speakers are dated and look better than the sound coming out of them but Its all I have and paid a fair bit for them (I got a 50% discount) and would like a bit of advice please.

I am currently Running an Yamaha RXV-475 for my receiver. this was fine until I have now upgraded to a new LGOLED65BX6 TV and I would like to upgrade my receiver to match both my speakers and my new display. any obvious suggestions ? I have scoured the web but as my speakers are old they do not come up on many recent articles, also the new TV can put out 120HZ AT 4k, My old receiver would never be able to cope with that, so I am looking to upgrade. I have seen the Denon 2600H which seems to be future proof for the equipment I have.

My main question is will the receiver support the TV's 4KHDMI 2.1 output for video from my Nvidia Shield 2019 pro. I also Have a gaming PC with a 1080ti card and would like to take advantage of the best that can max out.

I am fair bit behind the times with all of the current tech, I would like to stream 4k local files for the movies and be able to take advantage of the Gsync functionality for my Nvidia card for PC Games. Would the Denon 2600H take care of that ? if not any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for any input and all is welcome, I am waiting to get a new receiver so let me have it.

Thanks again

John.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If wishing to pass a 4K/120Hz signal or an 8K video signal through an AV receiver then you'd need one which includes the latest version of HDMI. THis version is HDMI version 2.1 and only Yamaha, Denon and Marantz currently have models available that incorporate this version of HDMI. Whether you actually need it is another matter and will depend upon the sources you have as opposed to the abilities of your TV. There are currently no mainstream sources that would output 8K or 4K/120, but there will be the Sony PS5 and the XBox series X games consoles by the end of this year. These are basically the only sources that will include HDMI version 2.1 and that will have the ability to output a 4K/120Hz video signal. THere's very unlikely to be a new disc based media that will exploit this and the chances of TV broadcasters adopting this anytime soon is very unlikely.

If still wanting the ability to pass 4K/120 through an AVR then you'd be looking at the DEnon AVRX2700 as opposed to the X2600 model that preceeded it. THe equavalent Yamaha model would be the RXV6A. Yamaha also make a 5.1 HDMI version 2.1 model that equates to you current model, this is the RXV4A.

Again, if not intending on buying a source that includes HDMI version 2.1 then you'd not actually need an AVR receiver inclusive of it either. Your TV doesn't output video and your Nvidia Shield 2019 pro is an HDMI version 2 device that is unable to output anything more than 4K/60Hz.

Dallibab

Novice Member
If wishing to pass a 4K/120Hz signal or an 8K video signal through an AV receiver then you'd need one which includes the latest version of HDMI. THis version is HDMI version 2.1 and only Yamaha, Denon and Marantz currently have models available that incorporate this version of HDMI. Whether you actually need it is another matter and will depend upon the sources you have as opposed to the abilities of your TV. There are currently no mainstream sources that would output 8K or 4K/120, but there will be the Sony PS5 and the XBox series X games consoles by the end of this year. These are basically the only sources that will include HDMI version 2.1 and that will have the ability to output a 4K/120Hz video signal. THere's very unlikely to be a new disc based media that will exploit this and the chances of TV broadcasters adopting this anytime soon is very unlikely.

If still wanting the ability to pass 4K/120 through an AVR then you'd be looking at the DEnon AVRX2700 as opposed to the X2600 model that preceeded it. THe equavalent Yamaha model would be the RXV6A. Yamaha also make a 5.1 HDMI version 2.1 model that equates to you current model, this is the RXV4A.

Again, if not intending on buying a source that includes HDMI version 2.1 then you'd not actually need an AVR receiver inclusive of it either. Your TV doesn't output video and your Nvidia Shield 2019 pro is an HDMI version 2 device that is unable to output anything more than 4K/60Hz.
Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom